Number of subgroups of a group G

• Thread starter dumbQuestion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, there are several theorems that discuss the number of subgroups a group may have under certain conditions. One theorem states that a finite cyclic group of order n has exactly one subgroup of order d for each divisor d of n. Other theorems, such as Lagrange's theorem and Sylow's theorem, provide information on the number of subgroups a group may have based on its order and prime factorization. However, there is no simple theorem that can determine the exact number of subgroups a group has, especially for non-cyclic or non-Abelian groups. A more complex theorem, as discussed in the provided paper, may be necessary to determine this information.
dumbQuestion
I was wondering if there are any theorems that specify an exact number of subgroups that a group G has, maybe given certain conditions.The closest thing I know is a theorem that says if G is finite and cyclic of order n it has exactly one subgroup of order d for each divisor d or n. I am not sure what the formal name of this theorem is.I also know Lagrange's theorem (if H a subgroup of G, order of H divides order of G), Sylow's theorem (if G a finite group of order n, then if you take the prime factorization of n, n=p1kp2j...pmz then for each pmk in that factorization G has at least one subgroup of order pmi for 0<=i<=k) I also know another theorem which says if G is finite and Abelian, it has at least one subgroup of order d for every divisor d or n.The thing that gets me is the "at least one subgroup" in these theorems. Are there theorems other than the first one I posted up there which specify exactly how many subgroups of a certain size there are? Like if I have a group of order 500 (or any finite number), say there's no knowledge if it's cyclic or not, is there a way to say exactly how many subgroups it has? What if it's gauranteed to be Abelian? I know if it's Abelian I can say it's isomorphic to direct sums Zm + Zn + ... + Zz for the different combinations of its prime factorization (what I mean by that is say I have an Abelian group of order 24 so its prime factorization is 2*2*2*3, then its isomorphic to Z2 + Z2 + Z2 + Z3, to Z4 + Z2 + Z3, to Z8 + Z3, and to Z24) so do I just then look at the number of subgroups of say Z24? Is there a theorem which would tell me exactly how many subgroups Z24 has?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a group G?

A group G is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements to produce a third element. The operation must be associative, have an identity element, and every element must have an inverse.

2. What are subgroups of a group G?

Subgroups of a group G are subsets of G that have the same operation as G and satisfy the three group axioms: associativity, identity, and inverse. They are smaller groups within the larger group G.

3. How do you determine the number of subgroups of a group G?

The number of subgroups of a group G can be determined by using Lagrange's theorem, which states that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the group. This means that the number of subgroups must be a factor of the order of the group G.

4. Can a group G have an infinite number of subgroups?

Yes, a group G can have an infinite number of subgroups. For example, the group of integers under addition has an infinite number of subgroups, as every subset of integers that forms a closed set under addition is a subgroup.

5. How does the number of subgroups of a group G relate to its structure?

The number of subgroups of a group G is related to its structure by the concept of normal subgroups. A normal subgroup is a subgroup that is invariant under conjugation, meaning that for any element g in G and any element h in the subgroup, the element ghg^-1 is also in the subgroup. The number of normal subgroups reflects the structure of the group and can be used to classify different types of groups.