Number of vectors needed to Span R^n

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spanning in linear algebra, specifically in relation to the span of a set in R^n. It is mentioned that for a set to span R^n, it must contain at least n vectors. However, there is an example in the book that shows a set of 2 vectors can span R^3. This creates confusion for the person asking for help, but it is explained that a subspace does not necessarily need to have the same number of vectors as the space it is contained in. The conversation also touches on the definition of a subspace and provides an example to clarify the concept.
samona
I am reading my linear algebra book, and in the chapter on Spanning, I got the impression that for a set to span R^n, it must contain at least n vectors. I confirmed that by searching through the forums.

However, I've reached the chapter on Linear Independence and in one of the examples it shows that a set containing 2 vectors can span R^3. So now I'm totally confused. Any help will be appreciated.

Example in the book:

S1= {[1,0,1], [0,1,1]}, S2 = {[1,0,1], [0,1,1], [3,2,5]}. Book says S1 and S2 span R^3, and prefers S1 since its "more efficient".

Physics news on Phys.org
S1 and S2 have the same span, but it is not R3. For example [1,1,0] is not in their span.

Thanks for the help. I just read this page like 100 times, and after reading your answer I read it again and missed an important detail.

The book is describing a subset of R^3 where W = [a, b, a+b] is a subspace of R^3. I still don't understand why they claim that S1 spans W though.

It does
W=span(S1)=Span(S2)
what is
a*[1,0,1]+b*[0,1,1]?

that equals [a, b, a+b] which is in W. I see that it works, but what's confusing me is the R^3. Even though W is a subspace of R^3 shouldn't W need 3 vectors in order to be spanned? How come 2 vectors are able to span it when its in R^3?

I wish they left out the R^3 and just put down R^2, then it would make sense to me. Maybe I'll edit that page in my book lol :smile:

Thanks for your patience. I'm sure this is something that should be simple to understand.

Our vectors are in R3. A subspace need not span the space

{[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[1,2,3,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0]}
is a subspace of R20, but only has dimension 2 like W

samona said:
that equals [a, b, a+b] which is in W. I see that it works, but what's confusing me is the R^3. Even though W is a subspace of R^3 shouldn't W need 3 vectors in order to be spanned? How come 2 vectors are able to span it when its in R^3?

I wish they left out the R^3 and just put down R^2, then it would make sense to me. Maybe I'll edit that page in my book lol :smile:

Thanks for your patience. I'm sure this is something that should be simple to understand.
Looks like you need to look at the definition of "subspace" again. A subspace is just a subset that's also a vector space. Your W is a subspace of ##\mathbb R^3## because a) it's a vector space, and b) it's a subset of ##\mathbb R^3##.

The set ##\{(x,y,z)\in\mathbb R^3|y=z=0\}## ("the x axis") is a subspace of ##\mathbb R^3## that's spanned by a set containing only one vector: ##\{(1,0,0)\}##.

lurflurf said:
Our vectors are in R3. A subspace need not span the space

{[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[1,2,3,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0]}
is a subspace of R20, but only has dimension 2 like W
Got it! I see what you mean. That example actually clicked...finally. Thanks so much!

Fredrik said:
Looks like you need to look at the definition of "subspace" again. A subspace is just a subset that's also a vector space. Your W is a subspace of ##\mathbb R^3## because a) it's a vector space, and b) it's a subset of ##\mathbb R^3##.

The set ##\{(x,y,z)\in\mathbb R^3|y=z=0\}## ("the x axis") is a subspace of ##\mathbb R^3## that's spanned by a set containing only one vector: ##\{(1,0,0)\}##.
Did look over it again. Your example really helped clear things up some more. Thank you so much!

1. How many vectors are needed to Span R^n?

The number of vectors needed to Span R^n depends on the dimension of R^n. For example, in R^2, two linearly independent vectors are needed to span the entire plane, while in R^3, three linearly independent vectors are needed to span the entire space.

2. What is the minimum number of vectors needed to Span R^n?

The minimum number of vectors needed to Span R^n is equal to the dimension of R^n. In other words, for R^n, n linearly independent vectors are needed to span the entire space.

3. Can a set of vectors Span R^n if the number of vectors is less than n?

No, a set of vectors cannot Span R^n if the number of vectors is less than n. In order for a set of vectors to span a space of dimension n, at least n linearly independent vectors are needed.

4. How many vectors are needed to Span R^1?

In R^1, only one vector is needed to span the entire space. This is because R^1 is a one-dimensional space, so only one linearly independent vector is needed to span it.

5. Can a set of vectors Span R^n if the vectors are not linearly independent?

No, a set of vectors cannot Span R^n if the vectors are not linearly independent. In order for a set of vectors to span a space of dimension n, the vectors must be linearly independent. Otherwise, they will not be able to span the entire space.