Number Theory: Difference of Perfect Squares

You're on the right track. On the first line, you squared the even number and found the result was even. That is true for any even number, so you can write the result as 2 * some other integer, for example, 4n^2 = 2 * (2n^2). When you take everything mod 4, that 2 * can be ignored, since 2 = 0 mod 4, so you can write 4n^2 = 0 mod 4. That's true for all even numbers.On the second line, you squared an odd number and found the result was odd. That is true for any odd number, so you can write the result
S.R

Homework Statement

:[/B]
Determine whether there exists an integer x such that x^2 + 10 is a perfect square.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume x^2 + 10 = k^2 (a perfect square).

Solve for x in terms of k:
x = ±sqrt(k^2 - 10)

Since k is an integer and k^2 - 10 > 0, k > sqrt(10) > 3.

From here (and multiple other approaches), I'm not sure how to continue. Any help in proving whether such an integer value of x exists would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm...I've got something in mind ,
You have :
##k^2=x^2+10##
And thus ,
##k^2-x^2=10##
##(k-x)(k+x)=10##
And since 10=5×2 ,
Therefore , we can say that
Either ##k-x=2 ## and ##k+x=5##
Or ##k+x=2## and ##k-x=5##
Which will give you fractional values of x and k , which don't satisfy the condition .
Therefore no integer should satisfy this equation.

Ah, ok. Thank-you.

Last edited:
mooncrater said:
Hmmm...I've got something in mind ,
You have :
##k^2=x^2+10##
And thus ,
##k^2-x^2=10##
##(k-x)(k+x)=10##
And since 10=5×2 ,
Therefore , we can say that
Either ##k-x=2 ## and ##k+x=5##
Or ##k+x=2## and ##k-x=5##
No, this doesn't follow. If a * b = 0, then you can definitely say something about a being 0 or b being 0, but if a * b = m, with m ≠ 0, then you effectively don't know anything about a and b.
mooncrater said:
Which will give you fractional values of x and k , which don't satisfy the condition .
Therefore no integer should satisfy this equation.

S.R said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether there exists an integer x such that x^2 + 10 is a perfect square.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume x^2 + 10 = k^2 (a perfect square).
So k2 - x2 = 10, where both k and x are integers.

Since k is an integer, we can write it as k = x + a, for some integer a. What can you say about ##k^2 - x^2 = (x + a)^2 - x^2##? Can you show that this difference can never be 10?
S.R said:
Solve for x in terms of k:
x = ±sqrt(k^2 - 10)

Since k is an integer and k^2 - 10 > 0, k > sqrt(10) > 3.

From here (and multiple other approaches), I'm not sure how to continue. Any help in proving whether such an integer value of x exists would be appreciated.

Does k have to be an integer or can k be rational? For n>=5 the difference between n squared and n+1 squared is 2n+1>10.

jb235711 said:
Does k have to be an integer or can k be rational? For n>=5 the difference between n squared and n+1 squared is 2n+1>10.
I believe that "perfect square" as used in the OP means the square of an integer.

I attempted this approach, but I guess I'll try again here.

(x+a)^2 - x^2 = 10
x^2 + (2a)x + a^2 - x^2 = 10
(2a)x + a^2 = 10
a(2x + a) = 10

From here, I can presumably set a equal to factors of 10, right?

Mark44 said:
No, this doesn't follow. If a * b = 0, then you can definitely say something about a being 0 or b being 0, but if a * b = m, with m ≠ 0, then you effectively don't know anything about a and b.
I'm puzzled by your response here. The only thing I see wrong with mooncrater's approach is that it overlooked another possible factorisation. Isn't your x+a method effectively the same?
S.R, there are certain facts about integers that are handy to remember. Perfect squares only take a few values modulo 8. What are they?

I'm not sure what you mean by "perfect squares only take a few values modulo 8"?

S.R said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "perfect squares only take a few values modulo 8"?
For now, just consider modulo 4, since it is adequate for this problem.
Take an even number, 2n, and square it. What is the result modulo 4? (You understand what is meant by modulo, yes?). Do the same for 2n+1.

haruspex said:
I'm puzzled by your response here. The only thing I see wrong with mooncrater's approach is that it overlooked another possible factorisation.
My main objection is that if a * b = 0, you definitely know something about a or b. OTOH, if a * b = N, there are an infinite number of pairs of numbers that work. In that post we had a * b = 10, from which mooncrater concluded that the two numbers have to be 5 and 2. Of course -5 and -2 work, as do 10 and 1, -10 and -1, 1/2 and 20, and many, many more. If he had included the other pair of positive integers, and mentioned that he was limiting the search to positive integers only, I don't think I would have said anything.
haruspex said:
Isn't your x+a method effectively the same?

(2n)^2 = 4n^2
(4n^2) mod 4 = 0 (assuming n is an integer).

(2n+1)^2 = 4n^2 + 4n + 1.
(4n^2 + 4n + 1) mod 4 = 1 (assuming n is an integer).

Not particularly sure how this fact helps, though?

EDIT: Oh, if we assume k is a perfect square, then k mod 4 = 0 or k mod 4 = 1 (depending on whether k is even or odd).

1) Assume x is even
Let x = 2n, where n is an integer
x^2 + 10 = 4n^2 + 10

(4n^2 + 10) mod 4 = 2 ≠ 0 and thus, x^2 + 10 is not a perfect square if x is even.

2) Assume x is odd
Let x = 2n+1, where n is an integer
x^2 + 10 = 4n^2 + 4n + 11

(4n^2 + 4n + 11) mod 4 = 3 ≠ 1 and thus, x^2 + 10 is not a perfect square if x is odd.

Since x^2 + 10 is not a perfect square if x is even nor odd, we can conclude that no such integer x exists such that x^2 + 10 is a perfect square.

Is this correct?

Last edited:
S.R said:
(2n)^2 = 4n^2
(4n^2) mod 4 = 0 (assuming n is an integer).

(2n+1)^2 = 4n^2 + 4n + 1.
(4n^2 + 4n + 1) mod 4 = 1 (assuming n is an integer).

Not particularly sure how this fact helps, though?

EDIT: Oh, if we assume k is a perfect square, then k mod 4 = 0 or k mod 4 = 1 (depending on whether k is even or odd).

1) Assume x is even
Let x = 2n, where n is an integer
x^2 + 10 = 4n^2 + 10

(4n^2 + 10) mod 4 = 2 ≠ 0 and thus, x^2 + 10 is not a perfect square if x is even.

2) Assume x is odd
Let x = 2n+1, where n is an integer
x^2 + 10 = 4n^2 + 4n + 11

(4n^2 + 4n + 11) mod 4 = 3 ≠ 1 and thus, x^2 + 10 is not a perfect square if x is odd either.

Since x^2 + 10 is not a perfect square if x is even nor odd, we can conclude that no such integer x exists such that x^2 + 10 is a perfect square.

Is this correct?
Yes.

Thank-you for the help!

Related to Number Theory: Difference of Perfect Squares

1. What does "Number Theory: Difference of Perfect Squares" mean?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of integers. The difference of perfect squares refers to the difference between two numbers that are both perfect squares, meaning they are the result of multiplying a number by itself.

2. How do you find the difference of perfect squares?

To find the difference of perfect squares, you can use the formula (a^2 - b^2) = (a + b)(a - b), where a and b are the two perfect squares. This can also be represented as (a + b)^2 - (a - b)^2.

3. What is an example of a difference of perfect squares?

An example of a difference of perfect squares is (9^2 - 4^2) = (9 + 4)(9 - 4) = 13 * 5 = 65. This means that the difference between 81 and 16 (two perfect squares) is 65.

4. Why is the difference of perfect squares important in number theory?

The difference of perfect squares is important in number theory because it can help in identifying and proving certain properties and relationships between numbers. It is also used in various mathematical concepts and equations, such as the Pythagorean theorem.

5. How is the difference of perfect squares used in real-world applications?

The difference of perfect squares can be used in real-world applications, such as in cryptography and data encryption. It is also used in computer algorithms and programming, particularly in prime number generation and factoring large numbers.