{Number theory} Integer solutions

In summary: The number of unique solutions is 251, as the equation has only one solution in each of the positive integers. Solutions that do not sum to 708 are not allowed, as they would contain a star that would cancel out the sum. However, as long as the number of stars and bars in each equation is the same, the equations will still have the same number of solutions.
youngstudent16

Homework Statement

##x_1+x_2 \cdots x_{251}=708## has a certain # of solutions in positive integers ##x_1 \cdots x_{251}##
Now the equation ##y_1+y_2 \cdots y_{n}=708## also has the same number of positive integer solutions ##y_1, \cdots y_n## Where ##n \neq251## What is ##n##

Homework Equations

I think this is a stars and bars problem but I'm not super familiar with it still

The Attempt at a Solution

So looking at the stars and bars page it seems that ##{m \choose k}={m \choose m-k}## so then would ##n## in this case just be ##457##? In this case ##m=707## and ##k=250##

Edit figured it out it is ##458## I just forgot to add 1 back to the original ##n##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I understand the notation here. You say this problem "has a certain # of solutions in positive integers x 1 ⋯x251" I would take that to mean that it has 251 solutions. You then say "y1+y2 \cdots yn=708 also has the same number of positive integer solutions y1 ,⋯yn y_1, \cdots y_n Where n≠251".

If the first equation has 251 solutions and the next has "the same number" how is it not 251?

And I have no idea what a "stars and bars problem" and a "stars and bars page" are!

HallsofIvy said:
And I have no idea what a "stars and bars problem" and a "stars and bars page" are!
I believe it refers to the problem of how many ways of placing r identical objects into n distinct buckets. Maybe the 'bars' represent the divisions between the buckets.
The posted solution, after correction, looks right.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't think I understand the notation here. You say this problem "has a certain # of solutions in positive integers x 1 ⋯x251" I would take that to mean that it has 251 solutions.
No, the OP simply means that it "has j solutions", where j is unknown.

HallsofIvy said:
This refers to an interesting class of problems with an elegant path to solution; there are pages that explain this further on both Mathworld and Wikipedia which can be found using a well-known search engine.

Is the question asking for the number of unique solutions, or are permutations of ## x_i ## permitted?

... and have you dealt properly with solutions ending with a bar (that will not sum to 708) and solutions starting with one or more stars that will not satisfy that ## x_i ## are positive?

Well done for spotting the stars and bars analogue though, it is not immediately obvious.

What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of integers, or whole numbers.

What are integer solutions?

Integer solutions are values that satisfy an equation or inequality and are limited to whole numbers only.

What is the importance of studying integer solutions in number theory?

Integer solutions are important in number theory because they can help to reveal patterns and relationships between numbers and can be used to solve complex mathematical problems.

What are some common applications of integer solutions?

Integer solutions have various applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and physics. They can also be used in real-world situations such as scheduling and optimization problems.

How are integer solutions different from real number solutions?

Integer solutions are limited to whole numbers only, while real number solutions can include any rational or irrational number. Additionally, integer solutions are discrete, meaning they can only take on specific values, while real number solutions are continuous.