Number Theory Problem (sums of consecutive squares)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the sum of consecutive squares being a square number. It is proven that this is not possible for m = 3, 4, 5, 6, and an example is given for m = 11. The conversation also suggests using modular arithmetic and provides a strategy for finding the value of n that satisfies the equation for m = 11.
evansmiley

Homework Statement

The sum of two consecutive squares can be a square: for instance, 32 + 42 = 52

(a) Prove that the sum of m consecutive squares cannot be a square for
the cases m = 3; 4; 5; 6.
(b) Find an example of eleven consecutive squares whose sum is a square.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing i can think of using is the formula for the sum of square numbers e.g. for part one for the case where m = 3, it simplifies to
3n2 -6n + 5 = a2. I don't know how to prove this cannot be a square. (or e.g. in part b) -
(n)(n+1)(2n+1)/6 - (n-11)(n-10)(2n-21)/6 = a2 which simplifies to 11(n2 -10n + 385) = a2
This would suggest to me that a is divisible by 11, however I'm not sure how to generate a number such that it is equal to a square - I've thought of maybe trying to substitute a value for n which will allow me to factor the l.h.s. into a square, and then i'd be done, however I don't have a clue. Is this even the right direction to be going in? Or is there some easy way to solve this with modular arithmetic? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
This might help: The term in parenthesis must have a factor of 11. The 385 is already divisible by 11, so the n2-10n must be divisible by 11. The 385 divided by 11 is equal to 35. Therefore, n2-10n divided by 11, when added to 35 must be a perfect square. The factors of n2-10n are n and n-10. Therefore, n is either 11k, or 11k+10, where k is an integer. Find the value of k that works.

For the case considering m = 3, you got 3n^2 -6n + 5 = a^2.

So now, all integers can be represented as 3k, 3k+1, or 3k+2. Try checking what remainders the squares of these general numbers give, when divided by 3, and apply the same idea to your equation too.

Also, a good idea of choosing the numbers would be (n-1), (n), (n+1) since its easier to calculate :)

This refers to my post #2. The value of k that works is k=1, and n = 11. With n = 11, a = 6x11=66.

I checked your algebra in obtaining the equation 11(n2 -10n + 385) = a2, and got a different result: (66n2-661n+2310)/6 = a2

1. What is Number Theory Problem (sums of consecutive squares)?

Number Theory Problem (sums of consecutive squares) is a mathematical problem that involves finding the sum of a sequence of consecutive perfect squares. These squares can start from any number and continue in consecutive order.

2. What are some examples of Number Theory Problem (sums of consecutive squares)?

An example of Number Theory Problem (sums of consecutive squares) is finding the sum of the squares from 1 to 5, which would be 1 + 4 + 9 + 16 + 25 = 55. Another example is finding the sum of squares from 10 to 15, which would be 100 + 121 + 144 + 169 + 196 + 225 = 955.

3. What is the importance of Number Theory Problem (sums of consecutive squares) in mathematics?

Number Theory Problem (sums of consecutive squares) is important in mathematics as it helps in understanding patterns and relationships between numbers. It also has applications in areas such as cryptography, where it is used to generate secure codes.

4. How can Number Theory Problem (sums of consecutive squares) be solved?

Number Theory Problem (sums of consecutive squares) can be solved using various methods, such as algebraic manipulation, creating a formula, or using mathematical induction. It can also be solved using computer programs or by hand calculation.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Number Theory Problem (sums of consecutive squares)?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of Number Theory Problem (sums of consecutive squares). For example, it is used in physics to calculate the energy of a system, in statistics to determine the sum of squares in regression analysis, and in engineering to calculate the power of a signal. It also has applications in computer science and cryptography.