In summary, the conversation discusses a numerical model of the cooling of hot magma sills in the crust over time. The results show that the volume of the "hot" zone varies based on the rate of emplacement and the thickness of the sills. The attached figure shows a maximum volume and then a decrease as the sills get thinner and taller. This is due to a decrease in heat transfer in multiple directions, resulting in more heat being retained in the zone. The speaker is questioning if this is a plausible cause for the curve shapes in the figure and if there might be other factors at play. The conversation also touches on the initial conditions, the determination of width, and the measurement of volume.
PinkGeologist
Ok, I've built a numerical model to show the cooling of hot magma sills entered into the crust over time. The results show that the volume of the "hot" zone when the emplacement of a constant volume of hot sills is all done will vary as a matter of two things: the overall rate at which the magma is emplaced (duh) and the thickness of the sills of magma (they are all wafer- or cylinder-shaped).

You can see from the attached figure that the volume shows a maximum and then decreases from that maximum as sills get shorter and taller.

My intuition suggests this is because du/dx and du/dy shrink with the thinner sills until du/dz is the only heat transfer of note (at the peak, the ratio of radius to height is ~300:1). That means heat is only escaping in effectively in one direction and thus more heat is retained in the zone.

I guess as the sills get "too" thin, they simply lose heat to quickly between sill-emplacement events to keep the heat in the zone.

I need to develop this for a journal paper I am working on, so is this sounding like the plausible cause of the curve shapes in my figure, or might there be an effect I am missing or not taking into account?

Attachments

• Figure_200m_sills_added.pdf
    63.7 KB · Views: 216
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember your previous thread, and I still don't understand what you are plotting as function of what, under which conditions.

Your initial condition is some magma cylinder and colder material around? We have the height in the plot, how does the width get determined? How do you fill in more magma over time?
How do you measure a volume? Volume of what, and how does it depend on the cooling process?

1. What is numerical modeling of hot magma?

Numerical modeling of hot magma is a scientific technique used to simulate the behavior and properties of molten rock, also known as magma, within the Earth's crust. It involves using mathematical equations and computer algorithms to represent the physical processes and conditions that occur within a magma body.

2. Why is numerical modeling of hot magma important?

Numerical modeling of hot magma is important because it allows scientists to better understand the behavior of magma and its effects on volcanic eruptions. By accurately predicting the movement and properties of magma, we can improve our ability to forecast volcanic activity and mitigate potential hazards.

3. What data is needed for numerical modeling of hot magma?

To perform numerical modeling of hot magma, scientists need data on the physical properties of the magma, such as temperature, viscosity, and composition. They also need information on the geological and topographical features of the surrounding area, as well as data on any external factors that may influence the behavior of the magma, such as tectonic activity.

4. How is numerical modeling of hot magma used in volcano monitoring?

Numerical modeling of hot magma is used in volcano monitoring by providing insights into the internal processes of a volcano and the likelihood of an eruption. By combining real-time data from instruments with numerical models, scientists can make more accurate predictions about the behavior of magma and the potential hazards posed by a volcano.

5. What are the limitations of numerical modeling of hot magma?

While numerical modeling of hot magma has proven to be a valuable tool, it also has its limitations. The accuracy of the model depends on the quality and amount of data available, and there may be uncertainties and assumptions in the equations used. Additionally, the behavior of magma can be highly complex and unpredictable, making it difficult to accurately model in all scenarios.