Numerical solution techniques for 6th order PDE's

• A
  • Thread starter Hologram0110
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numerical
In summary, the speaker is facing a challenge in solving a 6th order PDE in 2D + time, which arises from a phase-field type physics model involving a mass conservation equation and an Euler-Lagrange equation. While they have been able to solve similar problems with a 4th order PDE by splitting it into two coupled second order equations, their attempts at using a finite-element package (Comsol) to solve the 6th order PDE have been unsuccessful. They are seeking resources or assistance in solving this equation, and are wondering if there are any specific requirements or techniques for handling a 6th order equation compared to a 4th order equation. They also mention the possibility of using C2 continuous elements
Hologram0110
Hello everyone,

I've encountered a bit of an interesting problem; a 6th order PDE in 2D + time resulting from a phase-field type physics model (mathematically it comes from a mass conservation equation (two orders)coupled to the Euler-Lagrange equation for variational calculus when the function depends on x, x' and x'' (4 orders)). With normal phase field, (4th order) we are able to routinely solve them splitting it into two coupled second order equations. I think that in theory, I should be able to do the same here with three coupled second order equations. However, my attempts at numerical solutions with Comsol (finite-element) have not been successful. Does anyone have any resources that might be of assistance? Is there anything extra to know about 6th order equation compared to a 4th order equation?

In theory, a finite-element package with C2 continuity should be able to do it without splitting, but that appears to be an extremely exotic request. Is there a way of creating C2 continuous elements with coupled Lagrange elements in a robust way?

I think similar equations might occur in plate or membrane bending problems, but I haven't actually found anything.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I should explain what I'm looking for a bit more explicitly.

Mass conservation
$$\frac{dz}{dt}=\nabla \cdot c \nabla \mu$$
Chemical potential (Euler-Lagrange equation)
$$\mu = \frac{\partial E}{\partial z} - \frac{\partial }{\partial x} \frac{\partial E}{\partial z_x} -\frac{\partial }{\partial y} \frac{\partial E}{\partial z_y} + \frac{\partial ^2 }{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial E}{\partial z_{xx}} + \frac{\partial ^2 }{\partial x \partial y} \frac{\partial E}{\partial z_{xy}} + \frac{\partial ^2 }{\partial y^2} \frac{\partial E}{\partial z_{yy}} $$
Energy
$$E=f \left( z(x,y), z_x(x,y), z_y(x,y), z_{xx}(x,y), z_{xy}(x,y), z_{yy}(x,y) \right) $$

I'm looking for information requirements to solve such a system (preferably with finite-element). For example, I assume that C2 continuity between elements would do it but this is hard to find. Would a C1 (Argyris)+ C0 (Lagrange) between elements do it? What about 3 C0 (Lagrange) elements?

Are there any order requirements on the order internal to each element? I'm guessing that is based on the number of derivatives I take of each term

What are some examples of 6th order PDE's that require numerical solutions?

Some examples include the biharmonic equation, the sixth-order KdV equation, and the sixth-order Boussinesq equation.

What are the main challenges in solving 6th order PDE's numerically?

The main challenges include dealing with high-order derivatives, maintaining stability and accuracy in the numerical scheme, and handling complex boundary conditions.

What are some commonly used numerical methods for solving 6th order PDE's?

Some commonly used methods include finite difference methods, finite element methods, spectral methods, and boundary element methods.

How does the computational cost of solving 6th order PDE's compare to lower order PDE's?

The computational cost can be significantly higher for 6th order PDE's due to the increased complexity and number of equations that need to be solved.

What are some applications of numerical solution techniques for 6th order PDE's?

These techniques are commonly used in fields such as fluid mechanics, structural mechanics, and electromagnetics to model and study complex physical phenomena.