Numerical Solution to Random Linear Non-Homogeneous ODE

In summary: F(t_{k+1} - \sigma)} G(\sigma) G(\sigma)^T (e^{F(t_{k+1}-\sigma)})^T d\sigma)^{-1}\int_{t_k}^{t_{k+1}} e^{F(t_{k+1} - \sigma)} G(\sigma) d\sigma$$In summary, to calculate $\Gamma_k$ in Gelb's optimal estimation method, you can use the Matrix Inversion Lemma for the first issue and either the Bartlett decomposition or Cholesky decomposition for the second issue. These techniques will help you solve for $\Gamma_k$ even when $Q$
Avatrin
TL;DR Summary
Trying to learn applied optimal estimation
Hi

I am trying to learn optimal estimation by reading Gelbs Applied Optimal Estimation, and I am having hard time with finding [itex]\Gamma[/itex] defined as the following:
$$ \Gamma_k w_k = \int_{t_k}^{t_{k+1}} e^{F(t_{k+1} - \sigma)} G(\sigma) w(\sigma) d\sigma$$
Here F is a known matrix. So is G, and w is a random function.

Things are fine so far. Then Gelb deduces that to calculate this, I have to calculate the following:

$$ \Gamma_k Q_k \Gamma_k^T= \int_{t_k}^{t_{k+1}} e^{F(t_{k+1} - \sigma)} G(\sigma) Q_k G(\sigma)^T (e^{F(t_{k+1}-\sigma)})^T d\sigma$$

Here Q is a covariance matrix. In my case, that one is known. So, I can numerically approximate the integral, and then I am stuck. If Q=I, I can use Cholesky decomposition unless the integral does not produce a positive-definite Hermitian matrix, and that I the case for me. Which other options do I have to figure out what [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is equal to?

I am thinking of two issues I can encounter:
1) Q is not equal to the identity matrix
2) The right-side of the equation does not produce a positive-definite Hermitian matrix.

What should I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first issue, you can use the Matrix Inversion Lemma which states that if $A$ and $B$ are invertible matrices, then $(A + BC^{-1}D)^{-1} = A^{-1} - A^{-1}B(C + DA^{-1}B)^{-1}DA^{-1}.$ Using this, you can solve for $\Gamma_k$ as follows: $$\Gamma_k = (Q_k + \int_{t_k}^{t_{k+1}} e^{F(t_{k+1} - \sigma)} G(\sigma) G(\sigma)^T (e^{F(t_{k+1}-\sigma)})^T d\sigma)^{-1}\int_{t_k}^{t_{k+1}} e^{F(t_{k+1} - \sigma)} G(\sigma) d\sigma$$For the second issue, there are several ways to approach this. One option is to use the Bartlett decomposition which is a technique for decomposing any real symmetric matrix $A$ into a product of three matrices $A=LL^T$, where $L$ is lower triangular and $L^T$ is its transpose. You can then solve for $\Gamma_k$ as follows: $$\Gamma_k = (LL^T + \int_{t_k}^{t_{k+1}} e^{F(t_{k+1} - \sigma)} G(\sigma) G(\sigma)^T (e^{F(t_{k+1}-\sigma)})^T d\sigma)^{-1}\int_{t_k}^{t_{k+1}} e^{F(t_{k+1} - \sigma)} G(\sigma) d\sigma$$Alternatively, you could also use the Cholesky decomposition which is another technique for decomposing a positive-definite Hermitian matrix into a product of two lower triangular matrices. This can be used to solve for $\Gamma_k$ as follows: $$\Gamma_k = (LL^T + \int

1. What is a numerical solution to a random linear non-homogeneous ODE?

A numerical solution to a random linear non-homogeneous ODE is a method of approximating the solution to a differential equation that includes a random element. This type of ODE is often used in modeling systems with uncertain or unpredictable factors.

2. How is a numerical solution to a random linear non-homogeneous ODE different from a traditional numerical solution?

A numerical solution to a random linear non-homogeneous ODE differs from a traditional numerical solution in that it takes into account the random element in the equation. This means that the solution will vary each time it is calculated, as opposed to a traditional numerical solution which will always give the same result.

3. What are some common methods for finding a numerical solution to a random linear non-homogeneous ODE?

Some common methods for finding a numerical solution to a random linear non-homogeneous ODE include Monte Carlo simulation, stochastic differential equations, and Taylor series expansion. These methods use different approaches to approximate the solution and may be more suitable for certain types of equations or systems.

4. How accurate is a numerical solution to a random linear non-homogeneous ODE?

The accuracy of a numerical solution to a random linear non-homogeneous ODE depends on the method used and the complexity of the equation. In general, these solutions are not exact and may have some degree of error. However, with careful selection of methods and parameters, a high level of accuracy can be achieved.

5. What are some real-world applications of numerical solutions to random linear non-homogeneous ODEs?

Numerical solutions to random linear non-homogeneous ODEs have many applications in fields such as finance, engineering, and physics. They are commonly used to model systems with random or uncertain factors, such as stock prices, weather patterns, and chemical reactions. These solutions can provide valuable insights and predictions for these complex systems.