Numerical Stability of Difference Schemes for Differential Operators

In summary: N$.We might as well assume there's a fixed step size in both partitions, say $\Delta t$ and $\Delta x$.Then we can approximate our function $y$ by the function $y_{i,n}$, which is the value of y, at the point (t_i, x_i).From the initial condition we have $y_{0,i} = s(x_i)$.And from our differential equation we have:$$\frac{y_{i,n+1} - y_{i,n}}{\Delta t} - k \mathcal L y_{i,n
Thorra
Sorry, but this is the only subject I could not pass even if I gave it my all every day and night of the semester. And I will still surely fail this subject, but as a last resort I will try to post my problem here, hoping to get solution and maybe an explanation. Sorry if some of the phrasing might be confusing, I'm merely translating from my native language.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Differential operator L ir approximated with a positively defined difference operator [tex]\Lambda[/tex]>0, that has a full special-function (λ) and special-value set and 0<λmin<λ<λmax. Explore the numerical stability in relation to the initial conditions s and right-hand side function w of the following difference schemes:
[tex]\frac{y^{n+1}_{i}-y^{n}_{i}}{\tau}[/tex]-k[tex]\Lambda[/tex][tex]\frac{y^{n+1}_{i}-y^{n}_{i}}{2}[/tex]=[tex]w^{n}_{i}[/tex]; [tex]y^{0}_{i}[/tex]=[tex]s_{i}[/tex]
if k - a given constant and w - a given function of the grid.

2. Relevant equations
Any basic explanations as to what is what will do as I am extreemly clueless in this entire ordeal.
I will take any help I can get if anybody is willing.

3. The attempt at a solution
I haven't had one yet and based on previous experience in this subject, all my attempts would be very, very futile and very, very wrong.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thorra said:
Sorry, but this is the only subject I could not pass even if I gave it my all every day and night of the semester. And I will still surely fail this subject, but as a last resort I will try to post my problem here, hoping to get solution and maybe an explanation. Sorry if some of the phrasing might be confusing, I'm merely translating from my native language.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Differential operator L ir approximated with a positively defined difference operator [tex]\Lambda[/tex]>0, that has a full special-function (λ) and special-value set and 0<λmin<λ<λmax. Explore the numerical stability in relation to the initial conditions s and right-hand side function w of the following difference schemes:
[tex]\frac{y^{n+1}_{i}-y^{n}_{i}}{\tau}[/tex]-k[tex]\Lambda[/tex][tex]\frac{y^{n+1}_{i}-y^{n}_{i}}{2}[/tex]=[tex]w^{n}_{i}[/tex]; [tex]y^{0}_{i}[/tex]=[tex]s_{i}[/tex]
if k - a given constant and w - a given function of the grid.

2. Relevant equations
Any basic explanations as to what is what will do as I am extreemly clueless in this entire ordeal.
I will take any help I can get if anybody is willing.

3. The attempt at a solution
I haven't had one yet and based on previous experience in this subject, all my attempts would be very, very futile and very, very wrong.

Welcome to MHB, Thorra! :)

To be honest, as yet I can't make too much sense of your formulas.
So if you're game, perhaps we can start with the definitions.

You refer to $y_i^n$. Would you mind explaining what it stands for?
Apparently we're talking about y values on a grid of x values, each x value being identified by $x_i$.
But... is $y_i^n$ a vector?
What does the $n$ stand for? An iteration number? A step along a solution of a differential equation? The nth derivative?
The same question for $w_i^n$. If those are values on a grid, I don't understand how $n$ is involved. Or is it a typo?

You refer to $\Lambda$ as a difference operator.
From the context it seems it is a matrix.
Can it be that it should read "positive definite" instead of "positively defined"?
And that your $\lambda$ are eigenvalues?
Either way, in your difference scheme, $\Lambda$ does not seem to have the function of a matrix.
Can you clarify?

What is $\tau$? Is it a step size?

Hey! Thanks for correcting my horrible missyntaxing of the formulas. I copied it from phyiscsforums, but found no such luck here and left.

I like Serena said:
You refer to $y_i^n$. Would you mind explaining what it stands for?
I'm sorry to say I'm not even sure. In previous exercises in "n"'s place was "k", which indicated the time layer. Like n+1 would be the function's value in one point in time, but just n would be the function's value one step before.

I like Serena said:
But... is $y_i^n$ a vector?
Well... the professor drew some matrixes on the board on occasion but not that often, so I don't know, I'm sorry.

I like Serena said:
What does the $n$ stand for? An iteration number? A step along a solution of a differential equation? The nth derivative?
The "n" is I guess an iteration value indeed. As I said above in a different way.
I like Serena said:
The same question for $w_i^n$. If those are values on a grid, I don't understand how $n$ is involved. Or is it a typo?
I think $w_i^n$ means the initial data. But again, I'm really not that sure. This is why I am so hopelessly lost. I have no real material to learn from and I didn't gather every detail in the lectures.

I like Serena said:
You refer to $\Lambda$ as a difference operator.
From the context it seems it is a matrix.
Can it be that it should read "positive definite" instead of "positively defined"?
Could be! In my notes I noted down that $\Lambda$y=-y[itex]\overline{x}[/itex]x
I'm really sorry about the wrong syntax again, but I cannot find where I can do such advanced text editing here.

I like Serena said:
And that your $\lambda$ are eigenvalues?
Either way, in your difference scheme, $\Lambda$ does not seem to have the function of a matrix.
Can you clarify?
You're right, they're eigenvalues! I didn't know the appropriate word and yeah they're not functions, sorry.
I like Serena said:
What is $\tau$? Is it a step size?
Yes, it is the time step!

Thorra said:
Hey! Thanks for correcting my horrible missyntaxing of the formulas. I copied it from phyiscsforums, but found no such luck here and left.

Actually, I didn't. Someone else on staff here did. ;)Okay.
Here's my interpretation.

You have a real valued function $y(t,x)$, where t is the time, and x is the x coordinate.
And I think you have the partial differential equation:
$$\frac{\partial y}{\partial t} - k \mathcal L y = w(t,x)$$
where w(t,x) is a known function, the initial condition $y(0,x)=s(x)$ is a known function, $k$ is a constant, and $\mathcal L$ is a differential operator with respect to x, which might for instance be \(\displaystyle \mathcal L = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\).
So it might for instance be:
$$\frac{\partial y}{\partial t} - k \frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2} = w(t,x)$$The range for x has been divided in a partition $x_0, x_1, ..., x_i, ..., x_M$.
We might as well assume the range for x has been divided in steps of size h, and that there is a total of M steps.
In other words: $x_i = x_0 + ih$.

The range for t has also been divided into discrete time steps of size $\tau$.
So $t_n = n \tau$.

Now we define $y_i^n = y(n \tau, x_i)$.
That is, the y coordinate at time $t = n\tau$ and at $x = x_i$.
Could be! In my notes I noted down that $\Lambda y=-y_{\overline{x}x}$.
I'm really sorry about the wrong syntax again, but I cannot find where I can do such advanced text editing here.

I think that means that you're using something like:
$$\left.\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2}\right|_{x=x_i} \approx \frac{y_{i-1} - 2y_i + y_{i+1}}{h^2}$$
The corresponding matrix expression would be:
$$\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2} \approx \Lambda y = \frac{1}{h^2} \begin{bmatrix}
\ddots \\
1 & -2 & 1 & \\
& 1 & -2 & 1 & \\
&& 1 & -2 & 1 & \\
&&&& \ddots \\
\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}
\vdots \\
y_{i-1} \\
y_i \\
y_{i+1} \\
\vdots \end{bmatrix}
$$Does it sound about right so far? :eek:

Yeah, that sounds right!

Edit: Well, at least I've seen that kind of stuff around. So hey!

Last edited:
Thorra said:
Yeah, that sounds right!

Edit: Well, at least I've seen that kind of stuff around. So hey!

Good! ;)

So... since you are supposed to learn this kind of stuff, can you explain how they would get from:
$$\frac{\partial y}{\partial t} - k \frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2} = w(t,x); \qquad y(0, x)=s(x)$$
to the following?
$$\frac{y^{n+1}_{i}-y^{n}_{i}}{\tau} - k\Lambda \frac{y^{n+1}_{i}-y^{n}_{i}}{2}=w^{n}_{i}; \qquad y^{0}_{i}=s_{i}$$And... suppose we have an error $\Delta y_i^n$ in $y_i^n$, can you say something about the error in $\Lambda y_i^n$?
Because that is what numerical stability is about.

I like Serena said:
So... since you are supposed to learn this kind of stuff, can you explain how they would get from:
to the following?
Well I think it's the process of discretization an "ideal" mathematical function thing (or, well, differential equation). The partial derivative from t employs the change of time (with the not infinitely small step Tau) over the change of function (the not infinitely small y2-y1). The upper indexes in the discrete function resemble the time step, the lower indexes - the other (x) step. Not sure about the $\Lambda$, but it looks like an operator that makes a derivative into a discretisized (is that even a word?) derivative that takes within itself one of the orders of percision.. if that makes any sense. I mean, a 2nd order derivative became a first order derivative (in discrete form) times a $\Lambda$.
the w(t,x) becoming indexed with n and i steps is the same process. So I guess only the lambda is really not that clear for me.

I like Serena said:
And... suppose we have an error $\Delta y_i^n$ in $y_i^n$, can you say something about the error in $\Lambda y_i^n$?
Because that is what numerical stability is about.
Hm.. The error is going to be either bigger or smaller?
Edit: And I wanted to add, if the error gets bigger, then the system is unstable, if smaller- then stable... figuratively speaking, unless I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited:
Thorra said:
Well I think it's the process of discretization an "ideal" mathematical function thing (or, well, differential equation). The partial derivative from t employs the change of time (with the not infinitely small step Tau) over the change of function (the not infinitely small y2-y1). The upper indexes in the discrete function resemble the time step, the lower indexes - the other (x) step. Not sure about the $\Lambda$, but it looks like an operator that makes a derivative into a discretisized (is that even a word?) derivative that takes within itself one of the orders of percision.. if that makes any sense. I mean, a 2nd order derivative became a first order derivative (in discrete form) times a $\Lambda$.
the w(t,x) becoming indexed with n and i steps is the same process. So I guess only the lambda is really not that clear for me.

Sounds good! :)

Actually, I'm just realizing that there may be a typo in the formula.
Can it be it should be:
$$k \Lambda \frac{y_i^{n+1} + y_i^n}{2}$$
That is, with a plus sign instead of a minus sign?

I'm asking because while
$$\frac{\partial y}{\partial t} \approx \frac{y^{n+1} - y^n}{\tau}$$
at time $t = n\tau + \frac 1 2 \tau$,
at the same time $t$ we have that:
$$y \approx \frac{y^{n+1} + y^n}{2}$$
It seems to me that this average was intended (with a plus sign instead of a minus sign).
Then, to explain what $\Lambda$ is, from that average vector we can determine a derivative like $\partial^2/\partial x^2$.
That is because:
\begin{array}{}
\frac{\partial }{\partial x}y(t, x_i - h/2) &\approx& \frac{y(t, x_i) - y(t, x_{i-1})}{h} \\
\frac{\partial }{\partial x}y(t, x_i + h/2) &\approx& \frac{y(t, x_{i+1}) - y(t, x_i)}{h} \\
\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}y(t, x_i) &\approx& \frac{\frac{y_{i+1}(t) - y_i(t)}{h} - \frac{y_{i}(t) - y_{i-1}(t)}{h}}{h} \\
&=& \frac{y_{i-1}(t) - 2 y_{i}(t) + y_{i+1}(t)}{h^2}
\end{array}
Hm.. The error is going to be either bigger or smaller?
Edit: And I wanted to add, if the error gets bigger, then the system is unstable, if smaller- then stable... figuratively speaking, unless I'm barking up the wrong tree.

True enough. :cool:

More specifically, if $\Lambda$ is symmetric and positive definite it is given that when applying it to a vector, the norm is between its lowest and highest eigenvalue times the norm of that vector.
That is, if the lowest and highest eigenvalue are $0 < \lambda_{min} \le \lambda_{max}$, then
$$\lambda_{min} ||\Delta y|| \le ||\Lambda \Delta y|| \le \lambda_{max} ||\Delta y||$$

The numerical stability of a system is usually determined by calculating how an error propagates through the algorithm in a worst case scenario. If the worst case error becomes bigger, it is called unstable, and if the error becomes smaller, it is called stable.Anyway, you have a difference equation containing $y_i^{n+1}$ and $y_i^{n}$.
If I'm not mistaken, you're supposed to "solve" $y_i^{n+1}$ from that to find the next iteration. And then you have to check how any errors propagate.
As the first step, can you solve the equation for $y_i^{n+1}$?

I like Serena said:
Sounds good! :)

Actually, I'm just realizing that there may be a typo in the formula.
Can it be it should be:
$$k \Lambda \frac{y_i^{n+1} + y_i^n}{2}$$
That is, with a plus sign instead of a minus sign?

I'm asking because while
$$\frac{\partial y}{\partial t} \approx \frac{y^{n+1} - y^n}{\tau}$$
at time $t = n\tau + \frac 1 2 \tau$,
at the same time $t$ we have that:
$$y \approx \frac{y^{n+1} + y^n}{2}$$
It seems to me that this average was intended (with a plus sign instead of a minus sign).
You're right, there's two horrible typos in that formula. :/
The expression is actually:
$$\frac{y^{n+1}_i - y^n_i}{\tau}+k\Lambda\frac{y^{n+1}_i + y^n_i}{2}=w^n_i$$
(Finally starting to learn this writing! Only through following your example, though. Is there a more official reference table somewhere?
I like Serena said:
Then, to explain what $\Lambda$ is, from that average vector we can determine a derivative like $\partial^2/\partial x^2$.
That is because:
\begin{array}{}
\frac{\partial }{\partial x}y(t, x_i - h/2) &\approx& \frac{y(t, x_i) - y(t, x_{i-1})}{h} \\
\frac{\partial }{\partial x}y(t, x_i + h/2) &\approx& \frac{y(t, x_{i+1}) - y(t, x_i)}{h} \\
\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}y(t, x_i) &\approx& \frac{\frac{y_{i+1}(t) - y_i(t)}{h} - \frac{y_{i}(t) - y_{i-1}(t)}{h}}{h} \\
&=& \frac{y_{i-1}(t) - 2 y_{i}(t) + y_{i+1}(t)}{h^2}
\end{array}
I think I get it, but but half a step $h/2$ forth and back, why not a full step? The right side of the equation makes me think it's taken with a full step.

I like Serena said:
More specifically, if $\Lambda$ is symmetric and positive definite it is given that when applying it to a vector, the norm is between its lowest and highest eigenvalue times the norm of that vector.
That is, if the lowest and highest eigenvalue are $0 < \lambda_{min} \le \lambda_{max}$, then
$$\lambda_{min} ||\Delta y|| \le ||\Lambda \Delta y|| \le \lambda_{max} ||\Delta y||$$
So wait... $\Lambda$ is like a central eigenvalue or something? Why does it get to be in the normed $||$s instead of outside like the small lambdas $\lambda$?

I like Serena said:
Anyway, you have a difference equation containing $y_i^{n+1}$ and $y_i^{n}$.
If I'm not mistaken, you're supposed to "solve" $y_i^{n+1}$ from that to find the next iteration. And then you have to check how any errors propagate.
As the first step, can you solve the equation for $y_i^{n+1}$?
I dunno... $y_i^{n+1}= y_i^n + \tau \frac{dy}{dt}$ ?

Or you mean like approximate it with the Taylor series?
$y(x_i^{n+1})=y(x_i^n) + \tau y'(x_i^n) + 0,5\tau y''(x_i^n) +O(\tau^3)$
Sorry if I am way off. P.S. Thank you for the time and effort you're dedicating for helping me. I know I'm not that good at learning this stuff, so thanks and stuff. This forum is awesome.

Last edited:
Thorra said:
You're right, there's two horrible typos in that formula. :/
The expression is actually:

Aha!

(Finally starting to learn this writing! Only through following your example, though. Is there a more official reference table somewhere?

We have a sub forum for it which includes a sticky post with a reference table:
http://mathhelpboards.com/latex-tips-tutorials-56/
I think I get it, but but half a step $h/2$ forth and back, why not a full step? The right side of the equation makes me think it's taken with a full step.

Well, if you have f(x) and f(x+h), an approximation for the derivative at x is obviously
$$\frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}$$
However, we get a more accurate approximation by taking the f values symmetrically around the x value:
$$\frac{f(x+h/2) - f(x-h/2)}{h}$$
So wait... $\Lambda$ is like a central eigenvalue or something? Why does it get to be in the normed $||$s instead of outside like the small lambdas $\lambda$?

No. $\Lambda$ is a matrix. It might also have been written as $A$.
Each matrix has so called eigenvalues, usually denoted as $\lambda$, which are scalars.
That means that there is a vector $\mathbf v$, such that $A \mathbf v=\lambda \mathbf v$.
If A is a symmetric positive-definite matrix, all eigenvalues are positive real numbers.
That means that for any vector $\mathbf w$ we can say something about the norm of the vector $||A \mathbf w||$.
I dunno... $y_i^{n+1}= y_i^n + \tau \frac{dy}{dt}$ ?

Or you mean like approximate it with the Taylor series?
$y(x_i^{n+1})=y(x_i^n) + \tau y'(x_i^n) + 0,5\tau y''(x_i^n) +O(\tau^3)$
Sorry if I am way off.

Not quite.

We have
Since $\Lambda$ is a matrix, we can rewrite this as:
\begin{array}{}
\frac{1}{\tau} (y^{n+1}_i - y^n_i) + \frac k 2 \Lambda (y^{n+1}_i + y^n_i) &=& w^n_i \\
\frac{1}{\tau} y^{n+1}_i - \frac{1}{\tau}y^n_i + \frac k 2 \Lambda y^{n+1}_i + \frac k 2 \Lambda y^n_i &=& w^n_i \\
\frac{1}{\tau} y^{n+1}_i + \frac k 2 \Lambda y^{n+1}_i &=& w^n_i + \frac{1}{\tau}y^n_i - \frac k 2 \Lambda y^n_i \\
\Big(\frac{1}{\tau} I + \frac k 2 \Lambda\Big) y^{n+1}_i &=& w^n_i + \Big(\frac{1}{\tau} I - \frac k 2 \Lambda\Big) y^n_i \\
y^{n+1}_i &=& \Big(\frac{1}{\tau} I + \frac k 2 \Lambda\Big)^{-1} \left(w^n_i + \Big(\frac{1}{\tau} I - \frac k 2 \Lambda\Big) y^n_i\right)
\end{array}
where $I$ is the identity matrix.
P.S. Thank you for the time and effort you're dedicating for helping me. I know I'm not that good at learning this stuff, so thanks and stuff. This forum is awesome.

Thanks! :eek:

Ah! That is quite clever. So, wait, that's all I have to do in this? Can't be that simple... Or is this just the beginning? (See this is how far supremely above me this subject is? Ugh...)

I don't know if you'll reply but I'll make another thread featuring a hopefully simpler set of tasks (and my takes on most of them) that I have do learn so I can write that stuff out next thursday. Yeah... I know I should do this stuff by myself, but by-myself earned me roughly... 4%. I'm not that horrible at other subjects. Usually I can get 40% just from attending lectures, and maybe 50-80% if I actually apply myself (Relevant only in this semester. Last semester was much easier). Anyway, won't go more offtopic.

Thorra said:
Ah! That is quite clever. So, wait, that's all I have to do in this? Can't be that simple... Or is this just the beginning? (See this is how far supremely above me this subject is? Ugh...)

Almost all... we still haven't touched the subject of numerical stability, which is what you were supposed to discuss.
That is, how would an error in $w_i^n$ or in $y_i^n$ propagate in the worst case scenario.
That depends on the norm of the matrices involved, which is determined by their largest absolute eigenvalue.
I don't know if you'll reply but I'll make another thread featuring a hopefully simpler set of tasks (and my takes on most of them) that I have do learn so I can write that stuff out next thursday. Yeah... I know I should do this stuff by myself, but by-myself earned me roughly... 4%. I'm not that horrible at other subjects. Usually I can get 40% just from attending lectures, and maybe 50-80% if I actually apply myself (Relevant only in this semester. Last semester was much easier). Anyway, won't go more offtopic.

It does appear that you were biting off a rather large chunk all at once. :eek:

I like Serena said:
$$y^{n+1}_i = \Big(\frac{1}{\tau} I + \frac k 2 \Lambda\Big)^{-1} \left(w^n_i + \Big(\frac{1}{\tau} I - \frac k 2 \Lambda\Big) y^n_i\right) $$

To continue the argument, it follows that:
$$y^{n+1}_i = \Big(\frac{1}{\tau} I + \frac k 2 \Lambda\Big)^{-1} w^n_i + \Big(\frac{1}{\tau} I + \frac k 2 \Lambda\Big)^{-1} \Big(\frac{1}{\tau} I - \frac k 2 \Lambda\Big) y^n_i$$

Let's define:
\begin{array}{}
A &=& \frac{1}{\tau} I + \frac k 2 \Lambda \\
B &=& \frac{1}{\tau} I - \frac k 2 \Lambda
\end{array}

So we have:
$$y^{n+1}_i = A^{-1} w^n_i + A^{-1} B y^n_i$$

If $A$ would have an eigenvalue of (almost) zero, it's inverse would have an (almost) infinitely large eigenvalue, and $||A^{-1}|| \to \infty$.
As a result any error in $w^n_i$ would be blown out of proportion.
So we really want $A$ to be, say, positive definite.
To do so, we need to pick $\tau$ small enough to get A positive definite (lowest eigenvalue significantly positive), so that its inverse has a reasonably bounded norm.

The same argument holds for $A^{-1} B$, which must have a norm small enough so that errors in $y^n_i$ do not blow up out of proportion.
That is, $\tau$ small enough to get $A^{-1}$ reasonably bounded, where $B$ should already be reasonably bounded.

1. What is Numerical Analysis?

Numerical analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the development and application of algorithms for solving problems involving continuous variables. It involves the use of mathematical models and computer simulations to approximate solutions to complex mathematical problems.

2. What is the purpose of Numerical Analysis homework?

The purpose of Numerical Analysis homework is to help students develop a deeper understanding of numerical methods and their applications. It also allows students to practice implementing these methods using computer programming languages, which is an essential skill for any scientist or engineer.

3. What topics are typically covered in Numerical Analysis homework?

Some common topics covered in Numerical Analysis homework include numerical integration, root finding, interpolation, and differential equations. Other topics may include linear and nonlinear systems of equations, optimization, and numerical linear algebra.

4. How can I improve my skills in Numerical Analysis?

To improve your skills in Numerical Analysis, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra. It is also beneficial to practice implementing numerical methods using programming languages such as MATLAB or Python. Additionally, reading textbooks and practicing solving numerical problems can also help improve your skills.

5. Can I use online resources for help with my Numerical Analysis homework?

Yes, there are many online resources available for help with Numerical Analysis homework. These may include tutorial videos, interactive simulations, and online forums where you can ask questions and receive help from experts and other students. However, it is important to use these resources as a supplement to your own learning and not rely on them completely.