Numerics on wild oscillating functions

In summary, the conversation discusses how to accurately compute functions with intense oscillations, specifically the integral of sin(x^2). The suggested method is to split the integral into two parts and integrate each part separately, with the second part being integrated period by period. The use of integration by parts to increase convergence is also mentioned.
Theia
Hello!

I'd like to ask for a help about how to compute accurately functions which has very intense oscillations. My example is to estimate

\(\displaystyle I = \int_0^{\infty} \sin(x^2) dx= \int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin(t)}{2\sqrt{t}} dt\).I tried trapezoid rule over one oscillation at a time, but result is poor. My next though is to collect positive parts and negative parts together and add them later on in the code...

Any comments?

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Theia said:
Hello!

I'd like to ask for a help about how to compute accurately functions which has very intense oscillations. My example is to estimate

\(\displaystyle I = \int_0^{\infty} \sin(x^2) dx= \int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin(t)}{2\sqrt{t}} dt\).I tried trapezoid rule over one oscillation at a time, but result is poor. My next though is to collect positive parts and negative parts together and add them later on in the code...

Any comments?

Thank you!

I think integrating to infinity is typically unstable, isn't it?
So we should probably split the integral in two parts to eliminate infinity.
That is:
$$I = \int_0^{\infty} \sin(x^2)\,dx = \int_0^{\sqrt{2\pi}} \sin(x^2)\, dx + \int_0^{1/\sqrt{2\pi}} u^{-2}\sin(u^{-2})\, du$$
Perhaps we can integrate the second integral period by period now?

Thank you! I computed first

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\sin t}{2\sqrt{t}}\),

and then the improper part by using integration by parts to increase \(\displaystyle \sqrt{t}\) to \(\displaystyle \sqrt{t^3}\) to obtain faster convergence.

1. What are wild oscillating functions?

Wild oscillating functions are mathematical functions that exhibit rapid and unpredictable changes in value. They are characterized by large amplitudes and high frequencies, making them difficult to analyze and model.

2. Why is it important to study numerics on wild oscillating functions?

Studying numerics on wild oscillating functions is important because these functions are encountered in many real-world applications, such as signal processing, physics, and finance. It is essential to understand how numerical methods perform on these functions to ensure accurate and reliable results.

3. What are some challenges in performing numerics on wild oscillating functions?

One of the main challenges in performing numerics on wild oscillating functions is the potential for numerical instability. The oscillatory nature of these functions can lead to large errors and inaccuracies in calculations. Another challenge is the need for high precision computations, as even small rounding errors can significantly affect the results.

4. What are some common numerical methods used for wild oscillating functions?

Some common numerical methods used for wild oscillating functions include Fourier analysis, wavelet transforms, and spectral methods. These methods are specifically designed to handle oscillatory functions and can provide accurate results with efficient computations.

5. How can one ensure accurate results when performing numerics on wild oscillating functions?

To ensure accurate results when performing numerics on wild oscillating functions, it is crucial to use high precision computations, adaptive algorithms, and suitable numerical methods designed for oscillatory functions. It is also essential to carefully analyze the results and consider the limitations of the chosen numerical approach.