Object at rest hanging from two ropes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vector addition and the forces exerted by two cords, C1 and C2, in a system involving a book resting on a surface. The participants discuss various scenarios and use geometric reasoning to determine the validity of statements such as F(C2/P) > F(C1/P) and F(C2) > 10 N. They also consider the vector sum of forces and the direction of F(C2/P), ultimately trying to find the incorrect statement among a set of statements. However, there is confusion and disagreement regarding the correct answers, and the participants are advised to draw free body diagrams and use reasoning to verify their answers.
mncyapntsi
Homework Statement
A book is at rest suspending from 2 cords (C1 and C2), and C1 is shorter than C2. The book pulls on the meeting point P of the cords with a force of 10 N. All cords also exerts a force on the Point P. The angle between the strings at P is 90 deg.

True or false:
1- F(C2/P) > F(C1/P) must be true
2- F(C2) > 10 N may be true
3- Vector sum of forces by C1 and C2 is straight up
4- F(C2/P) points downwards to the left
5- The magnitude of the vector sum of the forces exerted by C1 and C2 is greater than 10 N
Relevant Equations
NetF = ma
Here is where I am at :
1- F(C2/P) > F(C1/P) must be true I believe this is false, considering the angle separating C1 from the 'ceiling' is bigger
2- F(C2) > 10 N may be true I believe this is true because F(C2) could be broken down into vector components which may go above 10 N
3- Vector sum of forces by C1 and C2 is straight up True because the book is resting
4- F(C2/P) points downwards to the left False because it points up to the right ?
5- The magnitude of the vector sum of the forces exerted by C1 and C2 is greater than 10 N False because it must be equal to 10 N if the book is at rest?

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a little diagram if it helps clarify some things :

Thank you for any help!
Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 9.32.53 PM.png

Answers 3-5 are correct for the reasons you give. To verify your answers for 1 & 2 consider this: If you do a geometric addition of the three vectors, you will see that they form a closed triangle because their sum is zero. What kind of relations must the sides of a triangle obey?

Likes Father_Ing
kuruman said:
Answers 3-5 are correct for the reasons you give. To verify your answers for 1 & 2 consider this: If you do a geometric addition of the three vectors, you will see that they form a closed triangle because their sum is zero. What kind of relations must the sides of a triangle obey?
Well, then C2 can't be larger than 20 N because it isn't a hypothenuse. But what is the third vector you are talking about, just so I don't confuse myself?

mncyapntsi said:
But what is the third vector you are talking about, just so I don't confuse myself?
The weight

Father_Ing said:
The weight
Alright I've tried :
1 - False
1- True
1- True
1- False
1- False
Yet this has been marked as incorrect by my professor. I am to find which one(s) are incorrect...I really don't see it.

mncyapntsi said:
Well, then C2 can't be larger than 20 N
Hm.I don't think this is correct. Try to make free body diagram

Father_Ing said:
Hm.I don't think this is correct. Try to make free body diagram
Yes, by intuition I wrote True on that - It can be larger than 20N because it is the hypothenuse. However, the pattern
1- True
2- True
3- True
4- False
5- False
Has also been marked as wrong by my professor...

As what @Father_Ing said, try to make the free body and calculate the forces in x and y direction using F = ma.
You will find the value of both tensions

Likes Lnewqban
mncyapntsi said:
Yes, by intuition I wrote True on that - It can be larger than 20N because it is the hypothenuse. However, the pattern
1- True
2- True
3- True
4- False
5- False
Intuition can be faulty. Try reasoning. Draw the right triangle, label the sides and provide reasons for your answers. That's the short way. The long way is to draw a free body diagram, find the tensions and use the fact that β > α.

Likes Lnewqban
mncyapntsi said:
1- True
2- True
3- True
4- False
5- False
You need to understand this simple problem before you advance to more complicated ones.
See figure 6.3 in this link:
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/s...apter/6-1-solving-problems-with-Newtons-laws/

Start by re-arranging the cords and angles in such a way that the set up is symmetrical.
Then, make α=90° and β=90°, so C1 and C2 become both vertical:
F_y_C1=F_y_C2=0.5gm_B

Then, make α=45° and β=45°, so C1 and C2 become perpendicular to each other:
F_y_C1+F_y_C2=gm_B
Because of the above, the magnitudes of F_C1 and F_y_C2 must be greater.

Lastly, break the symmetry and make α=30° and β=60°, so C1 and C2 remain perpendicular to each other, as your problem states.
Now, being in lateral balance, the system must comply with
F_x_C1=F_x_C2

In order for that to happen, how F_y_C1, F_y_C2, F_C1 and F_C2 must naturally re-adjust their magnitudes to keep a vertical balance of forces?

Last edited:
kuruman said:
Intuition can be faulty. Try reasoning. Draw the right triangle, label the sides and provide reasons for your answers. That's the short way. The long way is to draw a free body diagram, find the tensions and use the fact that β > α.
I am so sorry, I got mixed up : by intuition I got that 2 - False!
1- True
2- False
3- True
4- False
5- False
I drew out the vectors and their x and y components, and found all this above
However---This has been marked incorrect... I really don't understand

mncyapntsi said:
I am so sorry, I got mixed up : by intuition I got that 2 - False!
1- True
2- False
3- True
4- False
5- False
I drew out the vectors and their x and y components, and found all this above
However---This has been marked incorrect... I really don't understand
Please show your drawing. It should be a right triangle with sides C1, C2 and angles α and β labeled. Then provide reasons why you answered the first two items the way you did on the basis of what you see in this triangle. It may be that you drew the wrong triangle.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is an "Object at rest hanging from two ropes"?

An object at rest hanging from two ropes is a physical system in which an object is suspended by two ropes or strings, with the ropes attached to a fixed point above the object.

2. What is the significance of studying this system?

Studying this system can help us understand the principles of equilibrium and tension in a physical system. It also has practical applications in engineering and construction, such as in the design of suspension bridges.

3. How does the weight of the object affect the tension in the ropes?

The weight of the object affects the tension in the ropes because it creates a downward force that must be balanced by an equal and opposite force from the ropes. This results in an increase in tension in the ropes.

4. How does the angle of the ropes affect the tension in the ropes?

The angle of the ropes affects the tension in the ropes because it determines the direction of the forces acting on the object. As the angle increases, the horizontal component of the force decreases, resulting in a decrease in tension in the ropes.

5. What factors can affect the stability of an object at rest hanging from two ropes?

The stability of an object at rest hanging from two ropes can be affected by the weight and distribution of the object, the tension and angle of the ropes, and any external forces acting on the object. Additionally, the strength and stability of the attachment point for the ropes can also impact the overall stability of the system.