Object moving upwards by constant force away from planet

In summary: I've forgotten most of what I learned in my physics courses. I haven't taken a physics course in three years and haven't practiced in two, so I'm not sure I remember all the relevant equations for energy and such. If you could give me a hint, or a direction to go to, I'd be grateful.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an object being lifted away from a nearby planet's center with a constant force, causing its acceleration to be greater than the acceleration due to gravity. The goal is to determine the rate of change of the distance from the object to the planet's center with respect to time. The problem involves a 1-dimensional approach, and the attempt at a solution involves integrating the net
Puff Cube

Homework Statement

Suppose there is an object that is a distance ##r_0## from the center of a planet that is nearby (the object is outside the surface of the planet).
Let ## r ## represent the distance from the object to the planet's center.
Let ## t ## represent time.
The object, which is initially at rest, is being lifted upwards directly away from the planet's center with a constant force such that the magnitude of the object's acceleration due to this force, ##a##, is greater than the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity, ##g(r)##, for ##r_0\leq r< \infty##.
Determine the rate of change of ##r## with respect to time.

Homework Equations

## g = \frac{GM}{r^2} ##
##F_{net} = F - mg## (one dimension)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a 1-dimensional problem. As the object moves farther from the planet, it becomes lighter, due to the decreasing ##g##. So it should become easier for the force to lift the object.

Dividing the second relevant equation by ##m## gives

## a_{net} = a - g ##.

Initially the object starts at rest at ##r_0##, and ## r ## increases with respect to time. Integrating ##a_{net}## twice with respect to ##t## will give us the additional distance traveled by the object.

##r = r_0 + \frac{a_{net}}{2}t^2##

##r = r_0 +\frac{a-g}{2}t^2##

Rewriting ##g## in terms of ##r## gives

##r = r_0 +\frac{a- \frac{GM}{r^2} }{2}t^2##

##2r = 2r_0 + at^2 - \frac{GM}{r^2}t^2 \qquad##.

At this point I try separating the variables, but I lack experience in solving DEs and I get stuck:

##2\frac{dr}{dt} = 2at - GM [ -\frac{2t^2}{r^3} \frac{dr}{dt} + \frac{2t}{r^2} ]##

##2\frac{dr}{dt} = 2at + \frac{2GMt^2}{r^3} \frac{dr}{dt} - \frac{2GMt}{r^2} ##

##\frac{dr}{dt} = at + \frac{GMt^2}{r^3} \frac{dr}{dt} - \frac{GMt}{r^2} ##

##dr = at \cdot dt + \frac{GMt^2}{r^3}dr - \frac{GMt}{r^2} dt##

I should point out that this is not technically a homework problem, as I'm not taking classes at the moment. This is just something I've been thinking about and I wanted to practice my math. Therefore I'm not really sure how to go about it, what prerequisites I need to solve it, and I will not be able to check for correct answers. I used only what I know and remember, which is basic calculus and basic physics. If someone could tell me what I need to review, that would help.

Please point out any mistakes I might have made, conceptual or otherwise, or if I left out some important information. I haven't taken a physics course in three or so years, so if I have messed up somewhere I'd greatly appreciate any necessary corrections. Also if solving this problem requires some advanced mathematics, mention which topics.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Puff Cube said:
Initially the object starts at rest at r0r_0, and r r increases with respect to time. Integrating aneta_{net} twice with respect to tt will give us the additional distance traveled by the object.

##r=r0+anet2t2r = r_0 + \frac{a_{net}}{2}t^2##

##r=r0+a−g2t2r = r_0 +\frac{a-g}{2}t^2##

This formula only applies to constant acceleration, so it's simply not application in the case of changing gravity.

Puff Cube said:
At this point I try separating the variables, but I lack experience in solving DEs and I get stuck:

##2drdt=2at−GM[−2t2r3drdt+2tr2]##

This is not right at all. It's not at all clear what you are trying to do here.

A better approach to this problem is to consider energy.

Never mind, I've tried it again and got this:

$$ a_{net}(r) = a - g(r) $$
$$ a_{net}(r) = a - \frac{GM}{r^2} $$

So it looks like, if I'm not mistaken, I would need to find a solution to the following DE (which I won't):

$$ \frac{ d^2 r(t)}{d t^2} = a - \frac{GM}{r(t)^2}. $$

I made WolframAlpha solve it analytically, and the solution was not pretty. So yeah, I guess that's it. Unless anyone would like to add something.

Puff Cube said:
Never mind, I've tried it again and got this:

$$ a_{net}(r) = a - g(r) $$
$$ a_{net}(r) = a - \frac{GM}{r^2} $$

So it looks like, if I'm not mistaken, I would need to find a solution to the following DE (which I won't):

$$ \frac{ \partial^2 r(t)}{\partial t^2} = a - \frac{GM}{r(t)^2}. $$

I made WolframAlpha solve it analytically, and the solution was not pretty. So yeah, I guess that's it. Unless anyone would like to add something.

You can get a first order differential equation (i.e. a single integral) using energy calculations.

Note that you should have simply the normal time derivative here; not a partial derivative.

PeroK said:
You can get a first order differential equation (i.e. a single integral) using energy calculations.

Note that you should have simply the normal time derivative here; not a partial derivative.

I saw it and fixed it before I even saw your post :cool:.

As for energy, I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with physics concepts to go down that route.

Puff Cube said:
As for energy, I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with physics concepts to go down that route.
You can get the same result by multiplying the whole DE by ##\dot r## and integrating. However, it gives ##\dot r## as a function of r, not of t.

haruspex said:
You can get the same result by multiplying the whole DE by ##\dot r## and integrating. However, it gives ##\dot r## as a function of r, not of t.

I tried it:

$$ \ddot{r} = a - \frac{GM}{r^2} $$
$$ \ddot{r} \dot{r} dt = ( a - \frac{GM}{r^2} )\dot{r} dt $$
$$ \frac{ d \dot{r} }{dt} \dot{r} dt = ( a - \frac{GM}{r^2} ) \frac{dr}{dt}dt $$
$$ \dot{r} d \dot{r} = ( a - \frac{GM}{r^2} ) dr $$

integrating, I get

$$\frac{1}{2} \dot{r}^2 = ar + \frac{GM}{r} + c $$
$$ \dot{r} = \sqrt{ 2(ar + GM \frac{1}{r} + c) }$$

Is this correct?

Puff Cube said:
I tried it:

$$ \ddot{r} = a - \frac{GM}{r^2} $$
$$ \ddot{r} \dot{r} dt = ( a - \frac{GM}{r^2} )\dot{r} dt $$
$$ \frac{ d \dot{r} }{dt} \dot{r} dt = ( a - \frac{GM}{r^2} ) \frac{dr}{dt}dt $$
$$ \dot{r} d \dot{r} = ( a - \frac{GM}{r^2} ) dr $$

integrating, I get

$$\frac{1}{2} \dot{r}^2 = ar + \frac{GM}{r} + c $$
$$ \dot{r} = \sqrt{ 2(ar + GM \frac{1}{r} + c) }$$

Is this correct?
Yes.

1. How does an object move upwards by a constant force away from a planet?

When an object is moving upwards by a constant force away from a planet, it means that the object is experiencing a vertical force that is greater than the force of gravity pulling it towards the planet. This results in the object moving in the opposite direction of the planet, towards space.

2. What is the role of gravity in an object moving upwards by a constant force away from a planet?

Gravity plays a crucial role in this scenario as it is the force that is pulling the object towards the planet. However, when there is a constant force acting on the object in the opposite direction, it overcomes the force of gravity and allows the object to move upwards away from the planet.

3. How is the speed of the object affected when it is moving upwards by a constant force away from a planet?

The speed of the object will increase as it moves upwards due to the constant force acting on it. This is because the object is constantly accelerating in the direction of the force, resulting in an increase in its speed.

4. Can an object continue moving upwards by a constant force away from a planet indefinitely?

No, an object cannot continue moving upwards by a constant force away from a planet indefinitely. This is because the force of gravity will eventually overcome the constant force and start pulling the object back towards the planet.

5. How does the mass of the object affect its motion when moving upwards by a constant force away from a planet?

The mass of the object does not have a significant effect on its motion when moving upwards by a constant force away from a planet. This is because the acceleration of the object is determined by the net force acting on it, and not its mass.