Object thrown at an angle: Initial velocity has to equal speed at t

In summary: This is not a teaching site, and you are not welcome to post anything until you have completed the task at hand.In summary, a student seeking help with projectile motion under gravity notes that the only way the ball will have the same velocity two seconds later is if it is at its maximum height and is now coming back down. He suggests drawing a trajectory diagram to help understand this. If projectile motion is solely under gravity, the initial velocity won't be reached again, but the initial speed might. He suggests using a SUVAT equation to find the speed and velocity.
wicker558
Homework Statement
Object is thrown at an angle of pi/4 (45°). What is the initial velocity if velocity at t = 2 seconds equals to initial velocity.
Relevant Equations
vi = vf
θ = 45°
t = 2 seconds
My solution is very sketchy, but we want the math right. However, I've came to 2 thoughts that helped me get to the solution, and those are:
  • The only way that you can launch a ball at a velocity and have it be the same velocity two seconds later, is if it's already reached its maximum height and is now coming back down.
  • Whatever velocity you began with is the "inclined" velocity, so you need to fix this.
The solution is 14 m/s. I would be glad if someone could post a way to solve this by deriving velocity as a function of time given the information we know.

Physics news on Phys.org
wicker558 said:
The only way that you can launch a ball at a velocity and have it be the same velocity two seconds later, is if it's already reached its maximum height and is now coming back down.
Uh ... you might want to rethink that statement. Draw a trajectory diagram.
Whatever velocity you began with is the "inclined" velocity, so you need to fix this.
I have no idea what you mean here

phinds said:
Uh ... you might want to rethink that statement. Draw a trajectory diagram.I have no idea what you mean here

I am a student, not a professor or physics expert. That's why I am seeking help. Constructive.

If this is projectile motion solely under gravity, the initial velocity won't be reached again but the initial speed might. There is no horizontal acceleration so we only need to impose the constraint that after 2 seconds, the vertical velocity is the negative of the initial vertical velocity in order for the magnitudes to be equal. Like @phinds mentioned, drawing a trajectory diagram makes this clear.

If the initial vertical component of velocity is ##v\sin{\frac{\pi}{4}}## and the final vertical component is ##-v\sin{\frac{\pi}{4}}## after a time interval of 2 seconds, can you think of a way of a way to put this information into a SUVAT equation?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes wicker558
etotheipi said:
If this is projectile motion solely under gravity, the initial velocity won't be reached again but the initial speed might. There is no horizontal acceleration so we only need to impose the constraint that after 2 seconds, the vertical velocity is the negative of the initial vertical velocity in order for the magnitudes to be equal. Like @phinds mentioned, drawing a trajectory diagram makes this clear.

If the initial vertical component of velocity is ##v\sin{\frac{\pi}{4}}## and the final vertical component is ##-v\sin{\frac{\pi}{4}}## after a time interval of 2 seconds, can you think of a way of a way to put this information into a SUVAT equation?

Hey, sorry, meant the final speed. We call speed and velocity the same in my language.

wicker558 said:
Hey, sorry, meant the final speed. We call speed and velocity the same in my language.
If you are going to study physics, you must stop doing that. They are not the same and it will confuse you if you think they are.

wicker558 said:
I am a student, not a professor or physics expert.
Yes, I understand that. If you were, I would not have had to give you that hint. DRAW A DIAGRAM.

phinds said:
If you are going to study physics, you must stop doing that. They are not the same and it will confuse you if you think they are.
I am completely aware that velocity is a vector and speed is a scalar. I am aware they are not the same. Just messed up the translation, the brighter ones get it. I profusely apologize.

wicker558 said:
I am completely aware that velocity is a vector and speed is a scalar. I am aware they are not the same. Just messed up the translation, the brighter ones get it. I profusely apologize.

Please don't be insulting, it will not help you get assistance here.

This is a teaching site. You have many knowledgeable and kind people here interested in helping students, but it is the expectation that the student will start the process by doing some of the work. If you are given a hint, you will find people more helpful if you follow that hint.

Out of curiosity, how in your language do you distinguish between the velocity vector and its magnitude, a scalar?

Since you know that ##||\vec v(0)||=||\vec v(2)||## from the HW Statement, you need to find ##||\vec v(t)||=\sqrt{v_x^2(t)+v_y^2(t)}##.
A good place to start is writing down the accelerations ##a_x(t)## and ##a_y(t)## then integrating them. If you don't use calculus in your course, you should have a look at your SUVAT equations, there's one for velocities.

Last edited:
archaic said:
A good place to start is writing down the accelerations ##a_x(t)## and ##a_y(t)## then integrating them.
No need to integrate. It is enough to note, as @etotheipi has mentioned, that the horizontal component of velocity is unchanging and that the way to get the speed back where it started is to negate the vertical component.

An obvious next question is: "When does that happen?"

A drawing could be helpful. Or not. It depends on whether one is more comfortable thinking visually or algebraicly.

jbriggs444 said:
No need to integrate. It is enough to note, as @etotheipi has mentioned, that the horizontal component of velocity is unchanging and that the way to get the speed back where it started is to negate the vertical component.

An obvious next question is: "When does that happen?"

A drawing could be helpful. Or not. It depends on whether one is more comfortable thinking visually or algebraicly.
You need to find ##v_y## somehow since you'd have the gravity term, i.e suvat or integration. I mention integration because I personally do not memorise the suvats nor do I look at them, I just start building from the zero.
That question is answered in the problem statement, ##t=2##.

archaic said:
I mention integration because I personally do not memorise the suvats
I agree in principle. But personally, I do not consider computing the integral of a zero function (and getting zero) or the integral of a constant function (and getting length times width) as "integration".
archaic said:
Well noted. So the relevant question is "what would the initial vertical component of velocity need to be if the final vertical component of velocity is to be its negation at t=2".

That equation practically writes itself.

• Love
Likes archaic
jbriggs444 said:
That equation practically writes itself.
Yes, but based on the OP's statements, it appears that he does not understand the situation at all which is why I repeatedly asked him to do a diagram.

Likes jbriggs444
archaic said:
You need to find ##v_y## somehow since you'd have the gravity term, i.e suvat or integration. I mention integration because I personally do not memorise the suvats nor do I look at them, I just start building from the zero.

You can integrate if you like, but I'd advise others not to follow your example.

PeroK said:
You can integrate if you like, but I'd advise others not to follow your example.
why not? you'd just need to find the constant.

archaic said:
why not? you'd just need to find the constant.
This is introductory homework and may be undertaken by those who have not yet learned the integral calculus.

• Sad
Likes archaic

1. What is the initial velocity of an object thrown at an angle?

The initial velocity of an object thrown at an angle refers to the speed and direction at which the object is launched. It is typically represented by the vector components of the velocity, which include both the magnitude (speed) and direction (angle) of the initial velocity.

2. Does the initial velocity have to equal the speed at any given time?

Yes, the initial velocity of an object thrown at an angle will always equal the speed of the object at any given time. This is because the initial velocity is the starting point of the object's motion and remains constant throughout its trajectory, unless acted upon by external forces.

3. What factors affect the initial velocity of an object thrown at an angle?

The initial velocity of an object thrown at an angle can be affected by several factors, including the force of the throw, the mass of the object, and the angle at which it is thrown. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the initial velocity.

4. How is the initial velocity calculated for an object thrown at an angle?

The initial velocity of an object thrown at an angle can be calculated using the formula: v0 = v * cos(Θ), where v0 is the initial velocity, v is the speed of the object, and Θ is the launch angle. This formula takes into account the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity.

5. What is the significance of the initial velocity when throwing an object at an angle?

The initial velocity of an object thrown at an angle is significant because it determines the trajectory and distance traveled by the object. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer distance and a flatter trajectory, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter distance and a steeper trajectory. It also plays a crucial role in predicting the object's motion and calculating its final velocity and displacement.