Oblique shock waves: how to find the wedge angle for trailing shock?

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the wedge angle for an oblique shockwave in a given situation. The context provides an example where the wedge angle is 6 degrees and questions the general principle or method for determining this angle. The person also asks if the process would be different if the body was not symmetric. The speaker shares their understanding of supersonic/hypersonic travel and compares the trailing shock wave to suction or cavitation in aerodynamics.
Master1022
Homework Statement
How can we find the wedge angle for the trailing shock wave?
Relevant Equations
Shock waves
Hi,

I have a question regarding oblique shockwaves.

Question: How can we determine what the wedge angle is for the shockwave in a situation?

Context: This problem here shows an oblique shock wave on the trailing edge of the body and it simply states that the wedge angle is 6 degrees. Why is this the case? Is there a general principle/method to figure these out? What if the body was completely flat on top (i.e so the body is no longer symmetric); does that change the process of knowing what the effective 'wedge angle'?

Note that the leading one makes sense to me as I can see that the flow is being turned by 6 degrees and thus that can be used in the ## \theta - \beta ## relationships to find the angle of the oblique shock wave...

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.49.54 PM.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if this is in the wrong forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding of supersonic / hypersonic travel is that the atmosphere acts like an incompressible liquid or solid. In aerodynamics lift is classically represented by suction on the top trailing edge of the wing this is perhaps similar to the reason for the "oblique shock wave on the trailing edge of the body". Effectively the trailing shock wave would be similar to suction or cavitation. Not sure about the mathematical version of the explanation.

Likes Master1022

1. What is an oblique shock wave?

An oblique shock wave is a type of shock wave that occurs when a supersonic flow encounters a solid object, such as a wedge or cone. It is characterized by a sudden increase in pressure and temperature, as well as a change in the direction of the flow.

2. How do oblique shock waves form?

Oblique shock waves form when a supersonic flow encounters a solid object at an angle. As the flow approaches the object, it compresses and slows down, causing a shock wave to form. The angle at which the shock wave forms is known as the wedge angle.

3. How do you find the wedge angle for trailing shock?

The wedge angle for trailing shock can be found using the Prandtl-Meyer function, which relates the Mach number of the flow to the deflection angle of the shock wave. By solving the appropriate equations, the wedge angle can be determined.

4. What factors affect the wedge angle for trailing shock?

The wedge angle for trailing shock is primarily affected by the Mach number of the flow and the angle of the object. Other factors that can influence the wedge angle include the shape and size of the object, as well as the properties of the fluid, such as temperature and viscosity.

5. Why is it important to calculate the wedge angle for trailing shock?

Calculating the wedge angle for trailing shock is important in understanding the behavior of supersonic flows and designing efficient aerodynamic shapes. It can also be used to predict the location and strength of shock waves, which can affect the performance and stability of aircraft and other high-speed vehicles.