Observational evidence for bottom-up structure formation

In summary, the conversation discusses the consistency of dark matter models with the cosmic microwave background radiation and the discovery of large and mature structures in the early universe. The question is raised whether the same telescopes and experiments also find areas after reionization where galaxy clusters or superclusters were not formed yet. The conversation also mentions the evidence for bottom-up structure formation through the discovery of vast filaments in the universe. Overall, the main focus is on evidence for bottom-up structure formation other than the cosmic microwave background radiation.
ad510
I know that the only dark matter models consistant with the cosmic microwave background radiation require bottom-up structure formation, but all of the relevant press releases I've read are about finding surprisingly large/mature structures in the early universe. Do the same telescopes/experiments also find many places after reionization where galaxy clusters or superclusters clearly hadn't formed yet, but decided they weren't worth reporting about (or they reported them and I didn't find those reports)? Also, what observations do we have of bottom-up structure formation actually occurring over time, rather than observations of the CMB or modern universe that just constrain current models?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't radio telescopy discovering that the universe is spanned by vast filaments, which then create the stars and galaxies at the intersections?

Respectfully,
Steve

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_formation , that did happen, but those filaments formed bottom-up as the first stars and galaxies were pulled towards each other.

Sorry if I made the question sound more complicated than it was; I guess a simpler way of asking it is what evidence do we have of bottom-up structure formation other than the cosmic microwave background radiation.

Related to Observational evidence for bottom-up structure formation

1. What is meant by "bottom-up structure formation" in observational evidence?

"Bottom-up structure formation" refers to the process by which larger structures, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters, are formed from smaller structures, such as individual stars and gas clouds. This process is driven by gravity, as smaller structures are attracted to each other and merge to form larger ones.

2. How is observational evidence used to support bottom-up structure formation?

Observational evidence, such as data from telescopes and satellites, is used to study the distribution and properties of objects in the universe. By analyzing this data, scientists can observe the structures and patterns of galaxies and galaxy clusters, which provide support for the idea of bottom-up structure formation.

3. What types of observational data are used to study bottom-up structure formation?

Various types of data are used, including images from telescopes that show the distribution of galaxies, measurements of the velocities of objects in the universe, and observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation. These different types of data provide different pieces of evidence for bottom-up structure formation.

4. How does bottom-up structure formation relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the dominant scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. According to this theory, the universe began as a hot, dense point and has been expanding and cooling ever since. Bottom-up structure formation is a natural consequence of this expansion, as gravity causes matter to clump together and form larger structures over time.

5. Are there any alternative theories to bottom-up structure formation?

Yes, there are alternative theories, such as top-down structure formation, which proposes that larger structures formed first and smaller structures were created later through fragmentation. However, bottom-up structure formation is currently the most widely accepted theory supported by observational evidence.