Obtaining the decuplet of baryon states from one state

In summary, the conversation discusses using ladder operators to obtain the states of the baryon decuplet. One person applies the operator ##T_-## to the upper-right state and normalizes it, resulting in ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}(duu+udu+uud)##. However, in the decuplet, the state is written as ##\Deltaˆ+=uud## instead of the abbreviation. A reference to Thomson's book "Modern particle physics" is provided, which includes a figure and page where the ladder operators are applied to obtain states. It is clarified that the abbreviation is used for convenience.
Xico Sim
Hi, guys.

If you are given one state of the baryon decuplet (the upper-right state ##\Deltaˆ{++}=uuu##, for instance), you can use the ladder operators to get the other states of the decuplet.
When I apply ##T_-## to uuu and normalizing, I get ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}(duu+udu+uud)##. However, in the decuplet I see ##\Deltaˆ+=uud## instead of ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}(duu+udu+uud)##. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please give a reference to what you are reading.

Thomson's book: Modern particle physics. vide figure 9.17 on page 235, for instance, and page 227 where he applies the ladder operators to get the states of the center of the meson octet. In my case, I want to get all the decuplet states from one using the ladder operators.

Well, as I understand it now, people use ##uud## as written above as an abbreviation...

What is a decuplet of baryon states?

A decuplet of baryon states refers to a group of ten different baryons, which are subatomic particles made up of three quarks. These baryons have different combinations of up, down, and strange quarks, and are classified based on their quantum properties and mass.

How is the decuplet of baryon states obtained from one state?

The decuplet of baryon states can be obtained from one state through a process called symmetry breaking. This involves the spontaneous transformation of a single state into multiple states with varying properties, such as different masses and quantum numbers.

What is the significance of obtaining the decuplet of baryon states?

Obtaining the decuplet of baryon states is important for understanding the fundamental properties of subatomic particles and the underlying principles of particle physics. It also helps to explain the structure and behavior of matter at the smallest scales.

What experimental techniques are used to study the decuplet of baryon states?

Several experimental techniques are used to study the decuplet of baryon states, including particle accelerators, which accelerate subatomic particles to high energies, and detectors, which capture and analyze the particles produced in collisions. Other techniques include spectroscopy, which examines the energy levels of particles, and scattering experiments, which observe the interactions between particles.

Are there any practical applications of understanding the decuplet of baryon states?

While the study of the decuplet of baryon states is primarily focused on advancing scientific knowledge, there are some potential practical applications. For example, the principles and techniques used to study these states can also be applied to other areas such as medical imaging and nuclear energy production.