Odd Question -- creating English subtitles for an Italian TV Series for deaf and hard of hearing

In summary, a user is struggling to hear a particular line in an Italian TV series and asks for help identifying the missing word. Another user helps by listening to the line and identifying the word as "Hyperspace." The user working on the subtitles shares that the biggest challenge is timing the subtitles correctly. Other users suggest using software or a dictation app to assist with hearing difficult words. The user also mentions the difficulty of subtitling made-up words in science fiction shows.
Adam197
Hi Everyone,

I am currently working on a project where I am creating English subtitles for an Italian TV Series, for deaf and hard of hearing. There is one particular line I am struggling to hear and it is where one of the characters is talking about a type of physics. I wondered if anyone would be kind enough to listen to it and see if you can hear what he is saying?

Here is the video:

It starts at 12.06:

00:12:06,793 --> 00:12:10,635
Well if you don't mind he's continuing the
study of xxx physics.

Can anyone tell me what the missing word is?

Really appreciate any help that can be given.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

He said "study of Hyperspace physics" there.

Hi Berkeman, thanks so much! It's amazing you listen to it over and over again and cannot make it out at all. Then when a fresh pair of ears hears it and gets it, I now hear hyperspace straight away! Cheers

Likes Klystron
Happy to help. I have no idea whether "Hyperspace Physics" is a mainstream physics topic, though. Could just be a movie thing, right? :smile:

Yes I think whoever wrote the dialogue for this series made up quite a few things!

Likes berkeman
Adam197 said:
I am currently working on a project where I am creating English subtitles for an Italian TV Series, for deaf and hard of hearing.
BTW, that sounds like a very nice line of work. You are helping a lot of people to gain access to much more of the world. Do you do real-time closed captioning too? That seems like it would be a bit stressful, although I'm pretty fast at typing (sometimes I do have to backspace a bit to fix my mistakes...) :smile:

I see Anthony Quinn and Ernest Borgnine are in it. They can both express themselves tolerably well in Italian.
Not relevant to your task but I just thought you might like to know. :oldbiggrin:

Likes berkeman
No I'm afraid I'm far too slow for real time! I'm averaging about 10 minutes of footage every hour and it's a 350 minute series! The biggest problem is timing the subs to appear at the correct time, in addition to being able to hear exactly what is being said. Even though it's an Italian series it was filmed in English apparently, then they dubbed everyone into Italian for the Italian release, even people who could speak it like epenguin says. Thanks again everyone.

Likes berkeman
Adam197 said:
The biggest problem is timing the subs to appear at the correct time

have you checked if there is no software designed to ease the operation? I am almost sure someone I know told me what they used when making subtitles for a movie (sadly, can't remember who, where, nor what movie, so I can't ask again :frown:).

Likes epenguin
Borek said:
have you checked if there is no software designed to ease the operation? I am almost sure someone I know told me what they used when making subtitles for a movie (sadly, can't remember who, where, nor what movie, so I can't ask again :frown:).

About hearing what is said, might try the dictation app that is on Macs and iPad.Try, I actually doubt it would be good enough. Also not to be trusted, but they might suggest some of the things that you are not hearing.

Yes this is pretty much the case. One of the better options is using youtube to do subtitles for you but there is no way to request it, you just have to upload a version and at some point it might get done. Another big problem with Sci Fi is a lot of the words are made up so an automatic system won't recognise them. But I'm nearly done at least! Cheers

1. How do you accurately create English subtitles for an Italian TV series?

Creating subtitles for a foreign language TV series requires a thorough understanding of both languages. The process involves transcribing the original dialogue in Italian, translating it into English, and then syncing the subtitles with the corresponding scenes. It is important to maintain the context and tone of the dialogue while also ensuring the subtitles are easy to read and understand for the deaf and hard of hearing audience.

2. What software or tools do you use to create subtitles?

There are various software and tools available for creating subtitles, such as Subtitle Edit, Aegisub, and Jubler. These tools allow for precise timing and formatting of subtitles, as well as the ability to add sound effects or notes. It is important to choose a tool that best suits the needs of the project and the capabilities of the subtitler.

3. How do you handle slang or colloquial language in the subtitles?

Translating slang or colloquial language can be challenging, as it may not have an exact equivalent in the target language. In these cases, the subtitler must use their knowledge of both languages and cultural context to find an appropriate translation that conveys the same meaning and tone. It may also be helpful to provide additional context or explanations in the subtitles to help the audience better understand the dialogue.

4. How do you ensure accuracy in the subtitles?

Accuracy is crucial when creating subtitles for a foreign language TV series. It is important to have a native speaker or someone fluent in both languages review the subtitles for any errors or mistranslations. In addition, the subtitles should be synced with the dialogue and checked for any timing issues. Subtitlers should also be mindful of any cultural or historical references in the dialogue and make sure they are accurately translated.

5. Can subtitles be customized for different audiences?

Yes, subtitles can be customized for different audiences. For example, the font size and color can be adjusted for readability, and additional visual cues can be added for the deaf and hard of hearing audience, such as indicating different speakers or sound effects. Subtitles can also be translated into different languages to reach a wider audience. It is important to consider the needs and preferences of the audience when creating subtitles for a TV series.