ODE for free fall in a medium

In summary: This equation says that gravity is helping the resistive force to slow down the mass. You could also write it as mv'=-mg -kv^2. The important thing is that the two terms on the right side have opposite signs. The equation will be correct only if the signs are right.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity of an object with mass 96 kg given an initial downward velocity of -3m/s in a resistive medium. The differential equation for this scenario is determined to be mv'=-mg +kv^2, with careful consideration of signs.
Albert86
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

An object with mass 96 kg is given an initial downward velocity −3m/s in a medium that exerts a resistive force with magnitude proportional to the square of the speed. The resistance is 60 N when the velocity is −2m/s. Use
g=10m/s^2.

a. Write out a differential equation in terms of the velocity v, and acceleration a

b. Find the velocity v(t)

mv'=-mg-kv^2
96v'=-960-15v^2
-32/5v^2+320 d/dt=1
-32*1/40arctan(1/8 v(t)=t
V(t)=-8tan(5/4(c+t))

I need help with
V(t)=-8tan(5/4(c+t)) but I can solve for c
for separable first order
can't figure where I am going wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There should be no c involved. Your integrals should have lower and upper limits. When t = 0, v = v0; when t = t, v = v.

Albert86 said:
initial downward velocity −3m/s
Taken literally, that means an upward velocity of +3m/s.
I assume they mean a velocity of -3m/s, taking up as positive. Maybe that was not the exact wording?
Albert86 said:
mv'=-mg-kv^2
Careful with signs. If up is positive then you are taking g as a positive constant, so -mg is negative. Since -kv2 is also negative your equation says the drag is helping gravity accelerate the mass downwards. That would be true when the velocity is positive, but it never will be in this question.

haruspex said:
Taken literally, that means an upward velocity of +3m/s.
I assume they mean a velocity of -3m/s, taking up as positive. Maybe that was not the exact wording?

Careful with signs. If up is positive then you are taking g as a positive constant, so -mg is negative. Since -kv2 is also negative your equation says the drag is helping gravity accelerate the mass downwards. That would be true when the velocity is positive, but it never will be in this question.

That is how the problem was presented and I asked if I had the right formula which I was told yes but now I am 100% lost

Albert86 said:
That is how the problem was presented
Ok.
Albert86 said:
I asked if I had the right formula which I was told yes
Who said that? You can easily see that it is wrong by dropping out gravity. You get mv'=-kv2. That formula is correct whilst v is positive, but with v negative it will produce a velocity of ever increasing magnitude.

Albert86 said:
... I asked if I had the right formula ...
Here is another way to see why the formula you posted is incorrect. On the right side you have all the forces acting on the mass. These are gravity and the resistive force. Gravity points down, always. The resistive force in this case is up, opposite to the velocity which is down. Therefore, the two forces on the Fnet side of the equation must have opposite signs regardless of which direction, up or down, you define as positive. Your equation shows the forces with the same sign.

My personal preference is to write differential equations of this sort with the positive axis chosen always in the same direction as the velocity. Then v becomes the speed and the resistive force comes in always with a negative sign while gravity is either positive or negative depending on whether it is in the same or opposite direction as the velocity. I solve the differential equation for the speed and, if I want the velocity, I tack on the appropriate unit vector in the end.

Would mv'=-mg +kv^2 be the correct equation to start with

Albert86 said:
Would mv'=-mg +kv^2 be the correct equation to start with
For the cases in which the velocity is negative (as it is here), yes.

1. What is an ODE for free fall in a medium?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) for free fall in a medium is a mathematical representation of the motion of an object falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It takes into account variables such as the object's mass, the fluid's density, and the force of gravity to determine the object's position and velocity at any given time.

2. How is an ODE for free fall in a medium different from a regular free fall ODE?

An ODE for free fall in a medium differs from a regular free fall ODE in that it includes the effects of a fluid, which can cause the object to experience resistance or drag as it falls. This means that the acceleration of the object is no longer constant, as it would be in a vacuum.

3. What are the variables in an ODE for free fall in a medium?

The variables in an ODE for free fall in a medium include the object's mass, the fluid's density, the object's initial position and velocity, the force of gravity, and the coefficient of drag, which represents the object's shape and size and affects the amount of resistance it experiences from the fluid.

4. How is an ODE for free fall in a medium solved?

An ODE for free fall in a medium is typically solved using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve breaking the problem down into smaller, simpler steps and using iterative processes to approximate the solution.

5. What real-world applications use an ODE for free fall in a medium?

An ODE for free fall in a medium has many real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a skydiver or a falling object, designing parachutes and airfoils, and understanding the motion of particles in a fluid, such as in meteorology or chemical engineering. It is also used in the study of aerodynamics and fluid mechanics.