ODE textbook recommentation (Arnold or other?)

In summary, this book is a great resource for self-study, and may be a better option for someone who has struggled with linear differential equations in a previous class.
Only a Mirage
Hi everyone. I have a copy of Ordinary Differential Equations by Vladimir Arnold. I'm hoping to learn more about differential equations, building up to differential equations on manifolds.

I've heard that this is a great book, but I've also heard Arnold sometimes leaves out important details, which worries me a little. My question is: is this a good book for self-study? Would anyone recommend an alternative text at the same level instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would this one do? You can preview it on google books, the problems look really good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0867202009/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If this is below your level, I don't have a suggestion unfortunately. Actually, looking at this more, it is almost certainly not at a too low level. I think it is just right.

Last edited by a moderator:
verty said:
Would this one do? You can preview it on google books, the problems look really good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0867202009/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If this is below your level, I don't have a suggestion unfortunately. Actually, looking at this more, it is almost certainly not at a too low level. I think it is just right.

Thanks for the suggestion, but this looks like a book almost entirely devoted to linear differential equations. I don't think this is what I'm looking for, unfortunately.

Tenenbaum and Pollard,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486649407/?tag=pfamazon01-20

might not be up to the level that you want, but mathwonk certainly likes it:

mathwonk said:
I also struggled in an algorithmic ode class as my first math course after being out of school a year. I began supplementing the course with a schaum's outline series, and also going to the library for an hour after every class to review the notes. Finally at the end the class got less routine when the prof gave a proof of existence of solutions by the beautiful contraction mapping method. That even made it interesting. I went from a D to an A.

Then when I taught it I tried to use more interesting books, like Martin Braun's well written book, supplemented by V. Arnol'd's book. The standard books like Boyce and diPrima really left me cold. Almost everyone agrees that he best, clearest book is probably the following one by Tenenbaum and Pollard. Try that one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486649407/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Here is my review:

10 of 10 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars unique, March 28, 2006
By mathwonk - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ordinary Differential Equations (Dover Books on Mathematics) (Paperback)
i discovered a "new" method of solving constant coeff linear ode's this semester while teaching the course, No one I asked knew it and no books had it, but it was so natural as to have no chance of being really new. Still I searched and searched, Courant, Loomis and Sternberg, Edwards Penney, Coddington, Braun, Dieudonne, without success. then I found it here on pages 268-292.

i was impressed. this book was written back when clarity and completeness were the goal. then i began looking at the problems. it is very hard to give reasonable example problems using variation of parameters that cannot be solved better by guessing, but tenenbauim and pollard do it.

this is a classic introductory text. they even define differentials correctly, almost unheard of in an elementary book. all this for only 16 bucks!

Look here, two interesting books are mentioned: Verhulst and Perko. Perko may be the one you want.

1. Which textbook do you recommend for studying Ordinary Differential Equations (ODE)?

As a scientist, I recommend the textbook "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Vladimir Arnold. It is a comprehensive and well-respected book that covers a wide range of topics in ODEs.

2. Is there a specific edition of Arnold's ODE textbook that you recommend?

Yes, the most recent edition of Arnold's textbook is the 4th edition, which was published in 2006. It is recommended to use the latest edition for the most updated and accurate information.

3. Are there any other textbooks that you would recommend for studying ODEs?

Yes, there are many other good textbooks available for studying ODEs. Some popular options include "Elementary Differential Equations" by Boyce and DiPrima, "Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes" by Simmons, and "Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations" by Robinson.

4. What makes Arnold's ODE textbook stand out from others?

Arnold's ODE textbook is known for its clear and concise writing style, as well as its emphasis on geometric and intuitive explanations. It also includes many challenging problems and exercises for students to practice and apply their knowledge.

5. Can I use Arnold's ODE textbook for self-study or is it better suited for a classroom setting?

This textbook can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. The material is presented in a logical and organized manner that makes it suitable for independent learning. However, having an instructor or teacher to guide and explain the concepts can also be beneficial for better understanding.