Help me use my library of textbooks to form a study plan

In summary, the individual is an ex-physics and math student who is now pursuing a PhD in mathematical biology. They have recently returned to their previous subjects and are looking to brush up on analysis, linear algebra, and eventually differential geometry. Their reading plan includes starting with Spivak's Calculus, followed by Apostol's Calculus Vol. 2. They also have plans to go through Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis and Hoffman and Kunze's Linear Algebra, as well as Apostol's Mathematical Analysis and O'Neill's Elementary Differential Geometry. They are looking for recommendations and are open to purchasing new textbooks. Another individual recommends starting with Simmons' topology book before moving on to Munkres, and also suggests Bartle's Elements
brpetrucci
Hi everyone! Hope your week is going well. I'm an ex-physics and math student, now getting my PhD in mathematical biology, and I've recently come back to the subjects because I miss them and feel like it'd be fun to get proficient in some of this again. I've been mostly working on building my way up to GR in physics since that's what I'm most interested in, but in the case of math I kinda wanted to focus on making the best use of the textbooks I already have (some of which I never touched :d) to brush up on analysis, linear algebra, and (eventually, hopefully) differential geometry. I wanted to check with y'all what you thought of my reading order here, and if you'd recommend any intermediaries if a jump between two books is too much. I'm ok buying some new books eventually, just trying to structure my study around what I already have to start.

The plan would be to start with Spivak's Calculus, then Apostol's Calculus Vol. 2. I don't know why I only have 2, but I assume past me just figured that having gone through Spivak, Apostol's volume on Linear algebra and multivariate stuff would be a more useful follow up. Then, in no particular order I wanted to go through Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis, and Hoffman and Kunze's Linear Algebra. I also have Apostol's Mathematical Analysis, which I might read after baby Rudin as well, not sure if that's supposed to be a level above or the same. Finally, and I believe there's a jump here--though I'd love to be wrong--, I'd go through O'Neill's Elementary Differential Geometry. I assume I'd need to first read some topology book or something of the sort, would love to hear what you guys think. This basically exhausts my math textbooks, outside of Piskunov's Differential and Integral Calculus which I've mostly used for references up to this point, maybe I'll read it.

Again, I have no particular objective here besides just learning and having fun! I guess eventually it would be nice to have a good enough understanding of DG that I could understand the more mathematical-view texts on GR, maybe. In any case, I have no time limit and would love any recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
A nice intro to Topology is the topology book written by Simmons. It was recommended to me by Mathwonk, and I covered most of the book. A really nice, gentle, and interesting read. I liked that Simmons took his time to explain the why we care, instead of trying to figure it out on my own. Looking at you Rudin!

You can have a look at Munkres after Simmons, or just skip Simmons.

There is a nice book by Bartle : Elements of Real Analysis. This is a multi-variable analysis book, which is a bit gentler than Apostol's corresponding sections. Maybe reference Bartle when you get stuck with Apostol.

I found Rudin unreadable when I was learning Analysis for the time. It's a bit clearer, but I hate that book lol. But I am sure working through Spivak and Apostol, will prepare you for Rudin, something I was not at that point.

Apostol is easier to work through than Rudin. Reads clearer too!

• Informative
Likes brpetrucci and berkeman
MidgetDwarf said:
A nice intro to Topology is the topology book written by Simmons. It was recommended to me by Mathwonk, and I covered most of the book. A really nice, gentle, and interesting read. I liked that Simmons took his time to explain the why we care, instead of trying to figure it out on my own. Looking at you Rudin!

You can have a look at Munkres after Simmons, or just skip Simmons.
Nice! Thank you. So I'm assuming you'd recommend reading that between the analysis books and the DG book? Or is topology reasonably independent from analysis? I haven't looked into it too much before.

MidgetDwarf said:
There is a nice book by Bartle : Elements of Real Analysis. This is a multi-variable analysis book, which is a bit gentler than Apostol's corresponding sections. Maybe reference Bartle when you get stuck with Apostol.

I found Rudin unreadable when I was learning Analysis for the time. It's a bit clearer, but I hate that book lol. But I am sure working through Spivak and Apostol, will prepare you for Rudin, something I was not at that point.

Apostol is easier to work through than Rudin. Reads clearer too!
Oh I get you 100%. I did the mistake of testing out of calculus in undergrad and going directly to analysis, and I was definitely unprepared. I had worked through Spivak but definitely not as carefully as I should. I'll definitely take a look at both Apostol and Rudin! If Rudin keeps giving me trouble I'll drop it lol.

Thanks for all the help!

brpetrucci said:
Nice! Thank you. So I'm assuming you'd recommend reading that between the analysis books and the DG book? Or is topology reasonably independent from analysis? I haven't looked into it too much before.Oh I get you 100%. I did the mistake of testing out of calculus in undergrad and going directly to analysis, and I was definitely unprepared. I had worked through Spivak but definitely not as carefully as I should. I'll definitely take a look at both Apostol and Rudin! If Rudin keeps giving me trouble I'll drop it lol.

Thanks for all the help!
Topology uses ideas of analysis. So they benefit each other. The topology book will introduce you to ideas of open/closed sets, compact and connected sets, continuity. Just to name a few. Which are things covered in Rudin/Apostol. Although, in topology you move away from R^n and focus on more general sets.

It is hard to say if you should start reading studying Topology. All depends if you are familiar and comfortable with the above terms, and are able to do proofs.

I took Topology at the same time I took Multivariable Analysis. The two classes complemented each other nicely. It's kinda cool to see what holds in R and R^n and not in general spaces.

If you want to skip Spivak Calculus. Then you can always read something like Abbot: Understanding Analysis.

It does analysis on R only. Very clear. I actually found this book easier to read than Spivak. You can always read both simultaneously. Although, Spivak has some outstanding exercises!

But in general. Learning is personal experience. Some people learn faster than others, or they are able to skip beginner/intermediate text. Which is fine. The important thing is that you start practicing now. Sometimes, you have to stop reading a book, and find a simpler one. Work through the simple one, then go back to the book you left.

The converse will become true someday too. You start with a book, but it is too simple, so you find a more rigorous book.

1. How do I determine which textbooks to use for my study plan?

Start by reviewing your course syllabus and identifying the key topics and concepts that will be covered. Then, look through your library of textbooks and choose the ones that align with those topics. You can also ask your professors or classmates for recommendations.

2. How many textbooks should I include in my study plan?

It depends on the length and complexity of the course. Generally, 2-3 textbooks per subject should be sufficient. However, if you feel like you need more resources, you can always add additional textbooks as needed.

3. Should I read the entire textbook or just specific chapters?

This will also depend on the course and your study goals. If the textbook is the main resource for the course, it's best to read the entire book. However, if it's a supplementary resource, you can focus on specific chapters that align with the topics you need to study.

4. How can I make the most out of my textbook study sessions?

Start by creating a study schedule and setting aside dedicated time to read and take notes from your textbooks. It's also helpful to actively engage with the material by asking yourself questions, summarizing key points, and creating study aids such as flashcards or concept maps.

5. Can I use online resources in addition to my textbooks for my study plan?

Absolutely! Online resources such as lecture notes, practice quizzes, and study guides can supplement your textbook study and provide additional practice and review. Just make sure to use reputable and reliable sources.