Offset Piston - Calculating Max. Angular Velocity

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding determining the value and maximum angular velocity of link AB in a diagram. The equations provided are Vao, Vab, Vbo, Aba(r), Aoa(r), Aba(t), Abo, and the formula for angular velocity of AB is derived as 5.5 rad/s. The conversation also discusses the possibility of maximum angular velocity occurring when the piston is at maximum or minimum displacement, and the desire to derive a formula for angular acceleration in order to determine the maximum angular velocity.
Mingsliced

Homework Statement

After happily working my way through the earlier parts of this question, I'm pretty much at the end of my tether with the last two parts. Please find the diagram attached:

A) Determine the value of the angle θ (measured from vertical) when the angular velocity of link AB a maximum.

B)
What is the maximum angular velocity of link AB.

Homework Equations

Vao = 1.57m/s
Vab = 1.11m/s
Vbo = 1.11m/s

Aba(r) = 6.06m/s
Aoa(r) = 49.36m/s
Aba(t) = 35.1m/s
Abo = 41.4m/s

Angular Velocity of AB = Vab/Lab
Angular Velocity of AB = 1.11/0.2
Angular Velocity of AB = 5.5 rad/s

Angular Velocity of AO = 2πN/60
Angular Velocity of AO = 2π300/60
Angular Velocity of AO = 31.42 rad/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to find any relevant equations for finding the MAXIMUM angular velocity. Any help will be greatly appreciated, would like a nudge in the right direction so i can figure it all out. If it helps at all I've calculated the acceleration and velocities of each component.

I think, but I am not 100% sure, that maximum angular velocity occurs when the piston is at maximum/minimum displacement. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers!

Attachments

• Piston.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 607
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mingsliced:

Unfortunately, when I tried to open your JGP file I got the following message:
The image . . . cannot be displayed because it contains errors.

Regards,
Buzz

Apologies, I've attached a new image to this post which should hopefully work for you.

Regards,

Ming

Attachments

• slider crank.JPG
    slider crank.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 651
I think when acceleration equals zero angular velocity will be at a maximum.

Likes Mingsliced
Thank you, I'm pretty confident I've cracked it now :)

Wondering if anyone can add to this.
I want to derive a formula for angular acceleration so I can then work out the maximum angular velocity, but I'm not sure how to go about

1. What is an offset piston?

An offset piston is a type of piston used in internal combustion engines where the piston pin is not centered in the piston head. This design allows for a more efficient combustion process and can increase engine power and torque.

2. How is the max angular velocity calculated for an offset piston?

The max angular velocity for an offset piston can be calculated using the formula: Max Angular Velocity = (Engine RPM x Offset Distance) / (2 x Stroke). This calculation takes into account the engine's rotational speed, the distance of the offset, and the length of the piston stroke.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the max angular velocity for an offset piston?

The max angular velocity calculation is important for determining the maximum speed at which the piston can move in the engine. This information is crucial for ensuring the piston can withstand the forces and stresses of the engine's operation without causing damage.

4. How does the offset distance affect the max angular velocity?

The offset distance has a direct impact on the max angular velocity. The greater the offset distance, the higher the max angular velocity will be, as the piston will have to travel a longer distance in the same amount of time.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the max angular velocity for an offset piston?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating the max angular velocity for an offset piston. This calculation assumes a perfect circular motion of the piston, which may not always be the case. Other factors such as friction and engine vibrations can also affect the actual max angular velocity.