Is Oil and Gas Engineering the Same as Petroleum Engineering?

In summary, the student is wondering what specialization to pursue in order to get a job in the petroleum industry. They have considered petroleum engineering but are not sure if it is the right field for them. They are looking for advice from others who may have experience in the industry.
medwatt
Hi,
I had come to a university hoping to study Petroleum Engineering but they said what they teach is Oil and Gas Engineering. Really I do not know more about the differences if there is because petroleum implies oil and gas. But, there should be a reason why it is called that way and not PE. Now I have to make a choice into one of the following:

Oil and Gas Department
1) Oil and Gas Extraction
Specialization:
• Development and Exploitation of Oil, Gas and Gas Condensate Fields
• Offshore Oil and Gas Technologies
• Labour Protection in Petroleum Production
2) Drilling

My question is what is the closest to PE and which of the two should I choose to get the chance to easily get a job. Or should I not pursue any because it is not what I am thinking it is.

Thanks . . . I hope to get a quick reply.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Update : Initially I had thought that Petroleum Engineering incooperates both drilling and extraction. So now I need to know what is it that I must choose to ensure a better decision since I had PE in mind.

Can't I be enlightened ?

medwatt said:
Update : Initially I had thought that Petroleum Engineering incooperates both drilling and extraction. So now I need to know what is it that I must choose to ensure a better decision since I had PE in mind.

Well, it is your choice to make, as to what your speciality will be. You obviously had a preconceived idea as to what Petroleum Engineering entailed and the visit to the university has outlined what they think is important to teach in the Oil and Gas Department of Engineering. If this is a four year course at your university of choice, most likely the first year studies would, or should, be basically the same, and the specialization should branch out from there especially in years 3 and 4. What other information does the Dept. give you for the specializations that could help you to decide? Perhaps you could also check with some other universities giving education directly applicable to the petroleum industry and see if something more favourable to you does apply.

Since the petroleum industry is not going to disappear anytime soon, I would think that acquiring a job after graduation would not be that much trouble. Afteral, they hire engineers from all disciplines.

Dont' know if this is any help, but there is a posting in the PF Science Jobs forum that is semi-related:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=636369

What is Oil and Gas Engineering?

Oil and Gas Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the exploration, extraction, and production of oil and gas resources from the earth. It involves the use of various technologies, such as drilling, reservoir analysis, and production optimization, to efficiently and safely extract these valuable resources.

What are the job responsibilities of an Oil and Gas Engineer?

An Oil and Gas Engineer is responsible for designing and implementing processes and technologies to extract, transport, and refine oil and gas resources. They also analyze data to optimize production and ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations.

What skills are required to become an Oil and Gas Engineer?

An Oil and Gas Engineer should have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. They should also have excellent problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills. Knowledge of relevant software and technologies is also important.

What are the career opportunities in Oil and Gas Engineering?

There are numerous career opportunities in Oil and Gas Engineering, including roles in exploration, drilling, production, refining, and project management. Engineers can also work in research and development, consulting, and regulatory agencies related to the oil and gas industry.

How is technology impacting the field of Oil and Gas Engineering?

Technology plays a crucial role in Oil and Gas Engineering, from advanced drilling techniques to data analysis and optimization software. With the constant advancements in technology, engineers are able to extract resources more efficiently and safely, leading to increased production and cost savings.