Oil Spill - Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with understanding a system of differential equations involving oil flow in cells. The volunteer suggests that more information is needed and asks what the person has tried. The crucial information is then provided, explaining the rate of oil flow between cells and the derivative of the amount of oil in each cell.
echianne
Hello everyone. I hope anyone can help me with this problem. I will greatly appreciate it. Willing to compensate anybody to answer this problem correctly for me.
277407932_705910683967009_541797176334639952_n.jpg
278675679_568002187886304_8047340021244904938_n.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
echianne said:
Hello everyone. I hope anyone can help me with this problem. I will greatly appreciate it. Willing to compensate anybody to answer this problem correctly for me. View attachment 11832View attachment 11833
This is a free forum. We volunteer our time... payment is not necessary. However in order to help you best we need to have an idea of just where you are running into problems. What are you able to do with this?

-Dan

topsquark said:
This is a free forum. We volunteer our time... payment is not necessary. However in order to help you best we need to have an idea of just where you are running into problems. What are you able to do with this?

-Dan
Thank you so much. I have come up with different systems of DE but nothing seemed to work. I think there is something wrong with how I understood the problem.

echianne said:
Thank you so much. I have come up with different systems of DE but nothing seemed to work. I think there is something wrong with how I understood the problem.
What have you tried?

-Dan

The crucial information is in the last two sentences: "So at time t, the ith cell contains $s_i$ wL $ft^3$ of oil. Oil flows out of cell i at a rate equal to $s_i(t)$ wv $ft^3/s$ and flows into cell i at a rate equal to $s_{i-1}(t)$ wv $ft^3/s$. It flows into the first cell at rate S $ft^3/s$".

That is just saying that the rate oil flows into one cell is the rate at which it flows out of the previous cell.
The DERIVATIVE of the amount of oil ($s_i(t)$) at a given x (at a given cell) is the rate at which oil is flowing in minus the rate at which it is flowing out: $\Delta s_i(t)= (s_{i-1}(t)- s_i(t))\Delta t$.
$\frac{\Delta s_i(t)}{\Delata t}= (s_{i-1}(t)- s_i(t))= -(s_i(t)- s_{i-1})$.

Taking the limit as the length of each of each cell goes to 0, $\frac{ds}{dt}= s$ with initial value s(0)= S.

1. What are differential equations and how are they used to model an oil spill?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve an unknown function and its derivatives. In the context of an oil spill, differential equations are used to model the changing concentration of oil over time and space. This allows scientists to predict the movement and spread of the oil spill and inform response efforts.

2. How accurate are the models created using differential equations for oil spills?

The accuracy of the models depends on the accuracy of the data and assumptions used to create them. By incorporating factors such as wind and ocean currents, these models can provide a relatively accurate prediction of the behavior of an oil spill. However, unexpected events or changes in conditions can affect the accuracy of the models.

3. Can differential equations be used to predict the long-term effects of an oil spill?

Yes, differential equations can be used to predict the long-term effects of an oil spill. By considering factors such as the rate of degradation of the oil and the movement of the spill, scientists can estimate the long-term impact on the environment and ecosystems.

4. How do scientists use differential equations to determine the best course of action for cleaning up an oil spill?

Differential equations are used to model different scenarios and predict the effectiveness of various cleanup methods. By comparing the results of these models, scientists can determine the most efficient and effective course of action for cleaning up an oil spill.

5. Are there any limitations to using differential equations for modeling oil spills?

While differential equations are a useful tool for modeling oil spills, there are some limitations. These models rely on accurate data and assumptions, and unexpected events or changes in conditions can affect their accuracy. Additionally, these models may not be able to account for all factors that can impact an oil spill, such as human intervention or natural disasters.