Ok really dumb hypothetical nearly impossible question

In summary, being hit with a 287 TeV lead ion beam would have varying effects depending on the number of particles in the beam. It could range from doing little damage with a single atom passing through, to potentially causing harm with a beam in a descent accelerator. Momentum is a key factor in determining the impact of the beam, with mass and velocity being important components. Ultimately, it would be preferable to be hit by a slower moving object such as a golf cart rather than a faster one like a golf ball.
lederhosen
what would happen if you were to be hit with 287 TEV Lead Ion? would you even feel anything or would it kill you? i can't wrap my head around it why i thought it up idk..

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean a 287 TeV lead ion beam, a la the Large Hadron Collider?

Well, I wouldn't recommend standing in the way of it, if you catch my drift. That much energy requires an awful lot of speed behind it.

It all depends on the number of particles. One won't do anything. A beam in a descent accelerator will slice right through you. And then there are all variations in between.

Presumably, the OP is asking about one atom. I think he understands fairly well what would happen if he were hit with a beam of atoms at that energy level.

Momentum is the ultimate measure of whether you would want to be hit by something. Mass times Velocity.. Rather be hit by a very fast golf ball or a very slow golf cart?

f03cuss said:
Momentum is the ultimate measure of whether you would want to be hit by something. Mass times Velocity.. Rather be hit by a very fast golf ball or a very slow golf cart?

1] There are other factors. Conceivably a single atom might pass right through, taking all of its momentum with it, thus doing little damage.

2] Which would you prefer? A hi-speed golf ball or low-speed golf cart?

DaveC426913 said:
1] There are other factors. Conceivably a single atom might pass right through, taking all of its momentum with it, thus doing little damage.

2] Which would you prefer? A hi-speed golf ball or low-speed golf cart?

Haha, I'll take the golf cart as long as we're talking low, low speed :) Good point about the single atom. I guess I was just talking more in general.

Related to Ok really dumb hypothetical nearly impossible question

1. What is the purpose of asking "Ok really dumb hypothetical nearly impossible question"?

The purpose of asking this type of question is usually to spark creative thinking and explore different possibilities. It can also be used to test someone's critical thinking skills and see how they approach a problem that may seem impossible to solve.

2. Can "Ok really dumb hypothetical nearly impossible question" have any practical applications?

Yes, these types of questions can be used in brainstorming sessions or problem-solving exercises to generate new ideas and solutions. They can also be used in thought experiments to explore the boundaries of scientific theories and concepts.

3. How do scientists approach "Ok really dumb hypothetical nearly impossible question"?

Scientists approach these types of questions with an open mind and a willingness to think outside the box. They may use logic, reasoning, and scientific principles to analyze the question and come up with potential solutions or explanations.

4. What is the difference between "Ok really dumb hypothetical nearly impossible question" and a regular hypothetical question?

The main difference is that "Ok really dumb hypothetical nearly impossible question" is intentionally absurd or impossible, whereas a regular hypothetical question is usually based on a realistic or plausible scenario. Additionally, "Ok really dumb hypothetical nearly impossible question" may not have a specific answer, whereas a regular hypothetical question is often used to explore potential outcomes.

5. Is there any value in asking "Ok really dumb hypothetical nearly impossible question" in a scientific context?

Yes, there can be value in asking these types of questions in a scientific context. They can challenge traditional ways of thinking and lead to new discoveries or innovations. However, it is important to also focus on more realistic and practical questions in scientific research.