Old Recommendations for Grad School?

In summary, the speaker is currently in their third year of undergraduate Physics and is planning to graduate at the end of their fifth year due to CO-OP. They are thinking about grad schools and are concerned about obtaining faculty recommendations after not working with a well-known scientist for three years. They are unsure if it is still common to ask for a recommendation at this time, but believe they would receive a strong recommendation. They are wondering if this is a common situation and if there are any alternatives.
clm222
I'm currently in my third year of undergraduate Physics, and plan to graduate at the end of my fifth year (since I'm doing CO-OP). I'm starting to think about grad schools, one element of which is my faculty recommendations.

I worked in a well known scientist's lab in my first year, first summer, and then again in my second summer (this last one). I'm looking to try and make a good work-relationship with other faculty members at my school, but I'm wondering if after a couple years professors aren't likely to give old recommendations.

By the time I apply to grad schools I will not have worked with this scientist for three years, is that still a common time frame to ask for a recommendation for grad school?

I wouldn't want to make a fool of myself asking them if it isn't common, but I have no idea. I know that that they have a good opinion of me, and know that they would write me a strong recommendation.

Anybody familiar with things like this?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
clm222 said:
is that still a common time frame to ask for a recommendation for grad school?

Not common, but not unheard of. It would be good if not all the recs were this old.

Unfortunately, I think that's the nature of undergrad work. I had to ask two PI's from prior projects for LoRs, one was only a year old, but the other was two years old. That's just how it is... they know you can't work with three different groups at the time applications are due.

Related to Old Recommendations for Grad School?

1. What are the most important factors to consider when choosing a graduate school?

Some of the most important factors to consider when choosing a graduate school include the program's reputation, the faculty's expertise and research interests, the availability of funding and financial aid, the location and campus resources, and the overall fit for your academic and career goals.

2. How many graduate schools should I apply to?

The number of graduate schools you should apply to depends on your individual circumstances and goals. It is generally recommended to apply to at least 3-5 schools to increase your chances of acceptance. However, if you have a specific program or school in mind, it is okay to only apply to that one school.

3. Is it better to attend a highly-ranked graduate school or one that offers more funding?

This is a personal decision that depends on your priorities and goals. Attending a highly-ranked graduate school may provide more opportunities and prestige, but it may also be more expensive. On the other hand, attending a school with more funding may provide financial stability and allow you to focus on your studies without worrying about finances.

4. Should I consider applying to graduate schools outside of my field of study?

It is generally recommended to apply to graduate schools within your field of study, as you will have a stronger background and interest in that area. However, if you have interdisciplinary interests or are open to exploring new areas, it may be beneficial to also apply to schools outside of your field.

5. How important are recommendation letters for graduate school applications?

Recommendation letters are an important part of the graduate school application process, as they provide insight into your academic abilities, character, and potential for success in the program. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your strengths and qualifications for graduate studies.