On a finitely generated submodule of a direct sum of modules....

In summary, we want to prove that for a finitely generated submodule ##N## of the external direct sum ##M = \bigoplus_{i \in I} M_i##, each element ##x_j## in ##N## can be written as a finite sum of elements from a finite subset ##I_j \subset I## of the index set ##I##. To prove this, we first note that each ##x_j## is an element of ##M = \bigoplus_{i \in I} M_i## and can be represented as a family ##x_j = (m_{ij})_{i \in I}##, where ##m_{ij}## is the i-th component of
steenis
I am new on this forum, this is my gift for you.

Suppose ##(M_i)_{i \in I}## is a family of left ##R##-modules and ##M = \bigoplus_{i \in I} M_i## (external direct sum).

Suppose ##N = \langle x_1, \cdots ,x_m \rangle## is a finitely generated submodule of ##M##.

Then for each ##j = 1, \cdots ,m##, there is a finite ##I_j \subset I## such that ##x_j \in \bigoplus_{i \in I_j} M_i##.

Can anyone help me with the proof of this?
This is from a book of "Ribenboim – Rings and modules (1969)". This is part of the proof of (d) on p.21 (chapter I, section 6).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
steenis said:
I am new on this forum, this is my gift for you.

Suppose ##(M_i)_{i \in I}## is a family of left ##R##-modules and ##M = \bigoplus_{i \in I} M_i## (external direct sum).

Suppose ##N = \langle x_1, \cdots ,x_m \rangle## is a finitely generated submodule of ##M##.

Then for each ##j = 1, \cdots ,m##, there is a finite ##I_j \subset I## such that ##x_j \in \bigoplus_{i \in I_j} M_i##.

Can anyone help me with the proof of this?
This is from a book of "Ribenboim – Rings and modules (1969)". This is part of the proof of (d) on p.21 (chapter I, section 6).
How do you write the elements ##m \in M##, i.e. what do we know about the sums ##m=\sum_{\iota \in I}m_\iota## or simply: how is the direct sum defined?

##M## is defined as the external direct sum of the modules ##(M_i)_{i \in I}##, so "write" the elements ##m \in M## with "coordinates", ##m = (m_i)_{i \in I}##.

In case ##M## is an internal direct sum, the answer is easy, can you see that?

As far as I have learned it, a specific ##m## must always be written as a family ##m=(m_\iota)_{\iota \in I}= \sum_{\iota \in I} m_\iota## with almost all ##m_\iota =0## and then the statement follows automatically.

##(m_\iota)_{\iota \in I}## is never equal to ##\sum_{\iota \in I} m_\iota##, because these are two different "things": for instance, the point ##(a,b)## in the real plane is not equal to the sum of its coordinates ##a+b##.
There is, however, an isomorphism between the external direct sum ##\bigoplus M_i## and the internal direct sum ##\Sigma M_i## that maps ##(m_\iota)_{\iota \in I}## onto ##\sum_{\iota \in I} m_\iota##

steenis said:
##(m_\iota)_{\iota \in I}## is never equal to ##\sum_{\iota \in I} m_\iota##, because these are two different "things": for instance, the point ##(a,b)## in the real plane is not equal to the sum of its coordinates ##a+b##.
There is, however, an isomorphism between the external direct sum ##\bigoplus M_i## and the internal direct sum ##\Sigma M_i## that maps ##(m_\iota)_{\iota \in I}## onto ##\sum_{\iota \in I} m_\iota##
That's formally correct, but doesn't mean anything. Whether you write ##(a,b)## or ##a+b## where ##a## and ##b## are from different sets, namely ##M_1=\mathbb{R}## and ##M_2=\mathbb{R}## makes no difference. It only matters if you identify ##M_1=M_2## which I nowhere had. Sorry, I didn't know you simply wanted to argue about notation.

I fold.

It is not an argument about notations. The external direct sum ##\bigoplus M_i## and the internal direct sum ##\Sigma M_i## are different concepts. They are only isomorphic if the modules ##M_i## are submodules of one module: ##M_i \leq X## for all ##i##, otherwise the internal direct product is not defined. And that is the case in my question, there is no ##X## given such that ##M_i \leq X##.
There is a way to make the two direct sums isomorphic, and, I think, the way to do that is the key to the solution of my problem.

This was my question:

steenis said:

It took me a while, but the solution is:

Each ##x_j## is an element of ##M = \bigoplus_{ i \in I} M_i ##.

Therefore ##x_j = (m_{ij})_{I \in I}## where ##m_{ij}## is the i-th component of ##x_j## in ##\bigoplus_{ i \in I} M_i ##; ##m_{ij} \in M_i##

M is an external direct sum, so only finitely many ##m_{ij}## are nonzero.

Let ##I_j = \{i \in I | m_{ij} \neq 0 \}##, ##I_j## is finite.

Then ##x_j \in \bigoplus_{ i \in I_j} M_i ##.

What is a finitely generated submodule?

A finitely generated submodule is a subset of a module that can be generated by a finite number of elements. In other words, it can be spanned by a finite set of elements.

What is a direct sum of modules?

A direct sum of modules is a new module formed by combining two or more modules in a specific way. It is denoted as the direct sum of the individual modules and represents the direct product of their underlying abelian groups.

How is a finitely generated submodule related to a direct sum of modules?

A finitely generated submodule of a direct sum of modules is a submodule that is contained within the direct sum. It is generated by a finite number of elements, which are themselves elements of the direct sum.

Can a finitely generated submodule be generated by a single element?

Yes, a finitely generated submodule can be generated by a single element if that element is contained within the direct sum of modules. However, in most cases, a finitely generated submodule will require multiple elements to generate it.

What are some practical applications of studying finitely generated submodules of direct sums of modules?

Studying finitely generated submodules of direct sums of modules is important in many areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, commutative algebra, and algebraic geometry. It also has applications in other fields, such as physics and computer science.