On being super knowledgable; Living now with mass information at your fingertips

In summary, you can learn everything on the internet. You can learn languages, build cars, you can literally, knowledge wise, be just as qualified for a MS as someone who spent 5 years in college getting one. maybe even a PHD, I just can't speak for the experience you gain in a lab or anything else hands-on. Fight me on that if you want, but if you have your masters and hate my attempt to belittle your years spent at college. College is good, just not necessary.
Mhmmm
Dude, what the ****. I apologize for the language, but this IS THE THIRD TIME I HAVE TRIED TO WRITE THIS. I HAVE SPENT TWO ****ING HOURS TRYING TO GET THIS QUESTION ACROSS. and of course its been ruined now. twice I have composed a question I really want some answers to and apparently you can't spend longer than 30 mins making a thread or PF signs you out of your account, effectively destroying your thread when you try and post it and end up at an error page. Anyway, I now resort to garbagety bullet points

You can learn everything on the internet. I've been to college. name the class, 101 to 501, the internet will teach you it all- you just have to sift through the BS, not to hard if your smart.

you can learn languages, build cars, you can literally, knowledge wise, be just as qualified for a MS as someone who spent 5 years in college getting one. maybe even a PHD, I just can't speak for the experience you gain in a lab or anything else hands-on.Fight me on that if you want, If you have your masters and hate my attempt to belittle your years spent at college. College is good, just not necessary. If you have the drive you can learn in yourself. They even have lectures and class PDF's online, all free.

so,what do you do in this life when all this knowledge is so easily available?Even worse, when so much of it is absolutely awesome, so much so that no one career choice or degree could ever be worth denying the rest?

Thats my dilemma, and one that doesn't exist for people who want to spend 30 years researching particle physics. And you are a badass for doing so, you advance science, you badass you. But that requires denial of a lot of other cool science. Yes you can't understand it all, but there IS this magical spot where you can understand just about all of it. You can manipulate factors n stuff like the PHD's but you can interpret their work, understand its implications and outcomes...

19, have taken a lot of college classes. Have read way to much about way to much on the internet. took a lot at the CSU, and a few at a UC and a community college. I went in with my GE completed, and now I have dropped out because its to expensive to be in college to try and "figure things out" (people who do so should be stabbed for stupidity). Nothing is worth my career, degrees ****ing bite. They turn you into a tool, stuck in a field.Am I going to be a hobo? Do I just want to control everything? Is there not some job where I can just look at all the cool research being done, allocate funds, and then tell the smarty pants scientists badass applications of combining their discoveries across fields in new technologies? I've sat in on over 20 upper division physics lectures, one of my schools is like top 50 for research or something, I did nothing but sit in on classes and go to research facilities talking with the head professors their for a month. nothing is worth getting that absorbed in. I took calc 3 last year, it was really hard but I got a B. I am not scared of the complication of these subjects, and I can, especially recently, understand a lot of it. I think its amazingly beautiful sometimes, It always the bigger picture and the applications that truly entices me- I don't want to be the one who figure it out, I want to make use of it after its figured out or combine it with something else. Fack. I am out. This question has become a trainwreck. I am destined to be a librarian, accumulating knowledge with no purpose but to have it and give it out to people who want to know something as well.
:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Mhmmm said:
Dude, what the ****. I apologize for the language, but this IS THE THIRD TIME I HAVE TRIED TO WRITE THIS. I HAVE SPENT TWO ****ING HOURS TRYING TO GET THIS QUESTION ACROSS. and of course its been ruined now. twice I have composed a question I really want some answers to and apparently you can't spend longer than 30 mins making a thread or PF signs you out of your account, effectively destroying your thread when you try and post it and end up at an error page. Anyway, I now resort to garbagety bullet points

When it happens, hit backspace or go "back" in your browser. Copy the text you have written and log in again. Works fine for me.

What does it mean to be super knowledgable in today's world?

In today's world, being super knowledgable means having access to a vast amount of information at your fingertips and being able to use it to understand and solve complex problems.

How has the abundance of information impacted the way we live?

The abundance of information has greatly impacted the way we live by increasing our ability to learn and stay informed about various topics, as well as improving our problem-solving skills. However, it has also caused information overload and can make it challenging to filter out unreliable or inaccurate information.

What are some strategies for managing all the information available to us?

Some strategies for managing the abundance of information include setting specific goals for what you want to learn, using reliable sources, and regularly evaluating and organizing the information you have collected.

How has the internet and technology contributed to the availability of information?

The internet and technology have greatly contributed to the availability of information by providing a platform for easy access and sharing of information. With the internet, people can access a vast amount of information from various sources, and technology has made it possible to store and organize large amounts of information.

What are the potential downsides of having so much information readily available?

Some potential downsides of having so much information readily available include information overload, difficulty in determining the credibility of sources, and the potential for misinformation and fake news to spread quickly. It can also lead to a feeling of overwhelm and difficulty in focusing on one topic or task at a time.