On deriving response function in simple low pass filter

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a circuit with a power source, resistor, and inductor, and the attempt to derive the response function using frequency instead of omega. The equations and solution are provided, but there is uncertainty about whether it is correct due to discrepancies in the measured values.
Emspak

Homework Statement

I have a problem where the circuit is as follows: (pic attached I hope) but if you can't see it it's just a power source (AC), resistor and inductor with 2 terminals across the inductor (from were you measure the voltage).

I want to derive the response function, and I am trying to see if I did something off. I am doing it in terms of frequency, rather than [itex]\omega[/itex].

Homework Equations

So I know that the resistance in an inductor is [itex]Z_L = iL\omega[/itex]
Resistance from a resistor is just R

Response function [itex]H ( \omega) = \frac{V_{out}}{V_{in}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I take the whole circuit and see these are in series. So the total resistance ([itex]Z_{total} = R + iL\omega [/itex].

That means the current in the circuit is [itex]\frac{V_{in}}{R + iL\omega }[/itex]

and the [itex]V_{out} = \frac{V_{in}R}{R + iL\omega } [/itex] because we are measuring the voltage across the inductor.

Substitute omega with f/2pi and we get
[tex]V_{out} = \frac{V_{in}R}{R + iL\frac{f}{2\pi} } \rightarrow \frac{V_{out}}{V_{in}} = \frac{2\pi R}{2\pi R + iLf} = H ( f)[/tex]

Is there anything wrong with this? I ask because I'm doing a lab and even accounting for experimental error my Bode plot diverges a lot from the measured numbers. The shape of the curves is all good; just the one I plotted above seems moved to the right and up a bit from the values I got. Same shape exactly, tho. Not a big deal I guess, but I wanted first and foremost to make sure I did this right.

Attachments

• lo pass filter diagram.jpg
    lo pass filter diagram.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
Emspak said:
That means the current in the circuit is [itex]\frac{V_{in}}{R + iL\omega }[/itex]

and the [itex]V_{out} = \frac{V_{in}R}{R + iL\omega } [/itex] because we are measuring the voltage across the inductor.
But this is not the voltage across inductor what you wrote

Let me guess: it should have been [itex]V_{out} = \frac{V_{in} \omega L}{R+ \omega L}[/itex], right?

What happened to i ?

Typo. [itex]V_{out} = \frac{V_{in} i \omega L}{R+i \omega L}[/itex]

1. What is a response function?

A response function is a mathematical representation of how a system responds to a specific input. In the case of a low pass filter, the response function describes how the output of the filter changes in response to different frequencies of input signals.

2. Why is it important to derive a response function?

Deriving a response function allows us to understand and predict how a system will behave in response to different inputs. This is particularly useful in designing and optimizing systems, such as in the case of audio or signal processing.

3. How do you derive a response function for a low pass filter?

The response function for a low pass filter can be derived using mathematical techniques such as Laplace transforms and transfer functions. The specific steps for deriving the response function may vary depending on the type of low pass filter and the input signal being used.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the derived response function?

The accuracy of the derived response function can be affected by various factors such as the assumptions made in the derivation, the complexity of the system, and the accuracy of the input data used. It is important to carefully consider these factors and their potential impact on the accuracy of the response function.

5. How can the derived response function be used in practical applications?

The derived response function can be used in practical applications to analyze and predict the behavior of a system, and to optimize its performance. It can also be used in the design of new systems and in troubleshooting any issues that may arise. Additionally, the response function can be used to adjust the parameters of a low pass filter to achieve specific desired outcomes.