On metric and connection independence

In summary: The question asked for a paper on the subject of treating the metric and connection as independent entities.In summary, there is a theory of gravity, inspired by the main theme of the spacetime fabric in classical general relativity, that treats the metric and connection as independent entities. This formulation is known as the Palatini formulation and is also referred to as the first order formulation. It has been studied extensively and is discussed in various textbooks and scientific papers, such as "The theory of gravitational actions" and "First order formulation." It is also believed that this formulation may be useful in developing a quantum theory of gravity.
shahbaznihal
Some models of gravity, inspired by the main theme of spacetime fabric of Classical GR, treat the metric of the manifold and the connection as independent entities. I want to study this theory further but I am unable to find any paper on this, on ariXiv atleast.

I will be very thankful if someone can provide reference to such a paper.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
shahbaznihal said:
inspired by the main theme of spacetime fabric

There is no "spacetime fabric"...

stevendaryl said:
I don't know much about it, but it's called the Palatini formulation of GR:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatini_variation

Yes, I have read that article but it does elaborate much on it.

weirdoguy said:
There is no "spacetime fabric"...

I am looking for ideas and suggestion which are accepted in the scientific literature.

shahbaznihal said:
I am looking for ideas and suggestion which are accepted in the scientific literature.

You were the one who mentioned "spacetime fabric" in the OP; that's why @weirdoguy pointed out that that's not an accepted concept.

Which models precisely are you talking about in your opening post? What are your references? :)

haushofer said:
Which models precisely are you talking about in your opening post? What are your references? :)

For example in one version of Platini formulation of gravity the metric and connections are taking as independent quantities. I know there are many other. But I am interested in understanding the physical motivation of such a step?

PeterDonis said:
You were the one who mentioned "spacetime fabric" in the OP; that's why @weirdoguy pointed out that that's not an accepted concept.

Hi,

In the classical GR space time is manifold. Hence the use of the word spacetime fabric. Other ideas where spacetime is treated as discrete points is not what I was talking about. I assumed (incorrectly may be) weirdoguy is talking about some fictional ideas that spacetime as a continuous manifold does not exist. I guess, my bad?

shahbaznihal said:
In the classical GR space time is manifold. Hence the use of the word spacetime fabric
I do not see the implication. "Fabric" has nothing to do with being a manifold, it is something typically made up by popular science descriptions.

Likes dextercioby
http://space.mit.edu/LIGO/more.html
Gravitational Waves: Ripples in the fabric of space-time
Albert Einstein predicted the existence of gravitational waves in 1916 as part of the theory of general relativity. In Einstein's theory, space and time are aspects of a single measurable reality called space-time. Matter and energy are two expressions of a single material. We can think of space-time as a fabric; The presence of large amounts of mass or energy distorts space-time – in essence causing the fabric to "warp" – and we observe this warpage as gravity. Freely falling objects – whether soccer balls, satellites, or beams of starlight – simply follow the most direct path in this curved space-time.

@stevendaryl gave the correct answer in post #2. A useful reference might be Sotiriou, 6+1 lessons from f(R) gravity, https://arxiv.org/abs/0810.5594.

Last edited:
shahbaznihal said:
I assumed (incorrectly may be) weirdoguy is talking about some fictional ideas that spacetime as a continuous manifold does not exist. I guess, my bad?

Yes. While the term "spacetime fabric" does appear in some sources (such as the one @atyy linked to), it's generally best to avoid using that term, precisely because it makes it unclear whether you are talking about standard GR or about other speculative ideas about spacetime. @weirdoguy was not talking about such speculative ideas himself; he was unclear about whether you were.

shahbaznihal said:
For example in one version of Platini formulation of gravity the metric and connections are taking as independent quantities. I know there are many other. But I am interested in understanding the physical motivation of such a step?
That's motivated mathematically, as far as i know,not physically. In the end the connection still depends on the metric.

Possibly useful:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ic-compatible-connection.199500/#post-1512119

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...a-metric-compatible-affine-connection.761642/

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/212298/how-to-measure-torsion-and-non-metricity

[i haven’t read this:] “The role of nonmetricity in metric-affine theories of gravity”
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0264-9381/31/4/045006
https://arxiv.org/abs/1308.1642One reason there may be interest in alternative formulations is that they may be easier to generalize for a quantum theory of gravity, which may or may not respect torsion-free metric compatibility (assuming such structures exist there).

shahbaznihal said:
Some models of gravity, inspired by the main theme of spacetime fabric of Classical GR, treat the metric of the manifold and the connection as independent entities. I want to study this theory further but I am unable to find any paper on this, on ariXiv atleast.

I will be very thankful if someone can provide reference to such a paper.

Thanks.
Search for "First order formulation", there are countless number of paper on the subject. In GR, first order formalism is also known as the Palatini formulation.

atyy said:
http://space.mit.edu/LIGO/more.html
Gravitational Waves: Ripples in the fabric of space-time
Albert Einstein predicted the existence of gravitational waves in 1916 as part of the theory of general relativity. In Einstein's theory, space and time are aspects of a single measurable reality called space-time. Matter and energy are two expressions of a single material. We can think of space-time as a fabric; The presence of large amounts of mass or energy distorts space-time – in essence causing the fabric to "warp" – and we observe this warpage as gravity. Freely falling objects – whether soccer balls, satellites, or beams of starlight – simply follow the most direct path in this curved space-time.
This is a popular exposition. So it doesn't count.

Likes Demystifier and weirdoguy

1. What is the meaning of "metric independence"?

Metric independence refers to the concept in differential geometry where the metric tensor is not fixed but can vary depending on the coordinate system used. This means that the measurements of distance and angle can change depending on the chosen coordinate system.

2. How is metric independence related to connection independence?

Connection independence is a generalization of metric independence, where not only the metric tensor but also the connection is allowed to vary with the choice of coordinates. This means that not only the measurements of distance and angle can change, but also the concept of parallel transport between points can vary depending on the chosen coordinate system.

3. Why is metric and connection independence important in physics?

In physics, it is important to have a coordinate-independent description of physical phenomena. Metric and connection independence allow us to describe physical quantities without being limited by a specific choice of coordinates. It also allows for a more elegant and concise formulation of physical laws that are valid in any coordinate system.

4. Can we always have metric and connection independence?

No, not always. In certain cases, for example in a curved space-time, we may not be able to find a coordinate system where both the metric and connection are independent. This is because the curvature of space-time can constrain the possible choices of coordinates.

5. How is the concept of gauge invariance related to metric and connection independence?

Gauge invariance is a fundamental principle in physics where the laws of physics should not depend on the choice of gauge, which is essentially a choice of coordinates. Metric and connection independence are related to this principle as they allow for a coordinate-independent description of physical laws, which is necessary for gauge invariance to hold.