On monopoles' symmetry and other concerns

• Thread starter Redsummers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetry
In summary, the existence of magnetic monopoles would have a significant impact on particle physics and could potentially render the need for research on supersymmetry and other theories unnecessary. The Dirac condition states that if a single monopole is found, it would imply the quantization of electric charge. Monopoles have been studied extensively and their existence is still a topic of interest in modern particle physics theories.
Redsummers
Ok so, I have a few question regarding the symmetry and other properties of the magnetic monopoles.

I see how they actually arise from a mathematical symmetry of Maxwell equations, but my first question is: if they were discovered to exist (experimentally speaking), would there be no need in particle physics to research supersymmetry and so on?
–I have heard somehow that if Monopoles were to be observed; a lot of physics would be automatically over, is that so?

Another question I have, is concerning the 'Dirac's condition'. What do they actually mean by 'if there was a single monopole to be found in the universe, this would imply the quantization (??) of the electric charge'?

As a last question, I would like to know how are the 'new theories' in particle physics treating monopoles. Do they assume their existence? How about other mainstream theories? In the case that their existence is not assumed, why 't Hooft and others have developed other definitions of monopoles? (or those topological defects are nothing more than mere mathematical anecdotes for physicists?)

Any input is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I have checked other threads where Monopoles have been the topic of discussion, but I couldn't find any information concerning my doubts. So, sorry if this is sort of time line.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you'll find a good discussion of the magnetic monopole including Dirac's quantization condition on Wikipedia.

Redsummers said:
Another question I have, is concerning the 'Dirac's condition'. What do they actually mean by 'if there was a single monopole to be found in the universe, this would imply the quantization (??) of the electric charge'?

Dirac was one of the first people of look at monopoles in-depth. As you pointed out, Maxwell's equations exhibit a lot of symmetry and it makes some sort of sense that we should see magnetic monopoles.

Well, Dirac went out of see what would happen to Maxwell's equations if we assumed that magnetic monopoles were to exist. As it turns out that in order for Maxwell's equations to still hold with magnetic monopoles we the electric charge to be quantized. That is what people mean by that statement. It simply means that for the mathematics of Maxwell's equations to work with magnetic monopoles electric charge needs to be quantized.

Related to On monopoles' symmetry and other concerns

1. What is a monopole and why is its symmetry important in the scientific community?

A monopole is a hypothetical particle that has a single magnetic pole, either a north or south pole, unlike traditional magnets that have both poles. Its symmetry is important because it is predicted in some theories but has yet to be observed in nature, making it an interesting subject for study and debate among scientists.

2. What are the main concerns surrounding monopoles?

One of the main concerns surrounding monopoles is their existence. While they are predicted in certain theories, they have not been observed in nature. Additionally, their potential impact on our understanding of fundamental forces and the laws of physics is another concern.

3. How are scientists studying monopoles?

Scientists are studying monopoles using a variety of methods, including theoretical calculations, particle accelerators, and astrophysical observations. They are also searching for evidence of monopoles in natural phenomena, such as cosmic rays.

4. What are some possible implications of discovering monopoles?

If monopoles are discovered, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of physics and the fundamental forces that govern the universe. It could also open up new avenues for technological advancements, such as in the field of quantum computing.

5. Are there any practical applications for monopoles?

While monopoles have not been observed in nature, their existence could have practical applications in the future. For example, if they can be harnessed and controlled, they could potentially be used for energy storage or in new types of electronic devices.