On posting handwritten images of questions over typing them up

• Thread starter pikdar3
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of images versus text in posting questions on a forum. The OP prefers writing out their question by hand but is unsure if this is allowed. Other users suggest using LaTeX for equations and typing out the question for easier reading and commenting. The importance of legibility and image quality is also mentioned. Ultimately, it is recommended to use plain text for easier communication and assistance on the forum.
pikdar3
I received a message saying my posting an image over typing up a message to my question invalidated the thread. Since math in general relies heavily on using symbols, it is easier for me to write out my question by hand. I made sure the quality of the image was high, and that my handwriting was legible.

I'd just like everyone's take on this rule. If it must be enforced, can I follow a format that allows me to post a picture to my question without invalidating the thread in the future ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use ##\LaTeX## for formulas, see the help page.
And typing the text between the formulas is no problem and makes that easier to read as well. In addition, it makes it possible to find the thread with the search function.

In addition to what mfb said, typing your equations and such using LaTeX makes it easier for helpers to insert comments exactly where they have found an error. With an image, this is not possible.

With regard to your earlier post, you should have posted it in one of the sections under Homework & Coursework, not in the technical math sections.

You can use plain text and you can spend some time learning how to use TEX on the physics forums. Once you know some TEX later, try to use it.

Likes berkeman
pikdar3 said:
it is easier for me to write out my question by hand.

Should it be easier for the person posting the question, or the many people who are volunteering their help in answering it?

pikdar3 said:
I made sure the quality of the image was high, and that my handwriting was legible.

Many people do not.

pikdar3 said:
. I made sure the quality of the image was high, and that my handwriting was legible

It was not legible to me. Please just type your query into the right forum. The PF is a great place to get help. :smile:

One can also use the recently new feature of whiteboard option in the reply box.

Last edited:
pikdar3 said:
I made sure the quality of the image was high
Regardless of how good the image, handwritten detail in photos is invariably more difficult to discern than simple text, especially on small screens viewed in bright ambient light---typical of what users of handheld devices must contend with.

pikdar3 said:
I made sure the quality of the image was high, and that my handwriting was legible.
I saw the image you posted, and IMO the image quality was NOT high. When you took the picture, the camera (or phone, whatever) was placed at an angle to the paper, making the image lighter at the upper right corner and darker toward the lower left corner, and thereby difficult to read.

Understood. Thank you all for taking the time to explain.

Likes berkeman

1. Why should handwritten images of questions be posted instead of typing them up?

Handwritten images of questions provide a more authentic representation of the question and can help with understanding the context and handwriting of the original author. It also allows for the inclusion of diagrams or equations that may be difficult to type out.

2. What is the best way to post handwritten images of questions?

The best way to post handwritten images of questions is to first scan or take a clear photo of the handwritten question. Then, upload the image to a platform that supports image sharing, such as a website or social media platform. Finally, include a description or caption of the question to provide further context.

3. Is it necessary to include a typed version of the question when posting a handwritten image?

In most cases, it is recommended to include a typed version of the question along with the handwritten image. This can make it easier for others to read and understand the question, and can also make it easier for search engines to find the question.

4. How can posting handwritten images of questions benefit others?

Posting handwritten images of questions can benefit others by providing a visual representation of the question, which can be helpful for those who have difficulty reading or understanding typed text. It can also benefit those who are learning a new language or have different learning styles.

5. Are there any potential downsides to posting handwritten images of questions?

One potential downside is that handwritten images may be more difficult to read for some individuals, such as those with visual impairments. In addition, handwritten images may not be easily searchable by search engines, making it harder for others to find the question. It is important to provide a typed version and descriptive caption to address these potential issues.