On the cusp of fully grasping Method of Characteristics

Benjies
TL;DR Summary
A method used to create geometries for the straightening section of rocket nozzles (as well as other systems)
'Lo all,

I've been studying the Method of Characteristics for quite some time now. I understand all the interactions between characteristic lines, and how they modify the flow Mach number and direction of the flow when these characteristic lines intersect. I have just a couple of hangups that I was hoping this forum might be able to help me with. My primary sources are here:

[1] http://mae-nas.eng.usu.edu/MAE_5540_Web/propulsion_systems/section8/section.8.1.pdf

[2] https://www.ijert.org/research/desi...method-of-characteristics-IJERTV2IS110026.pdf

In [1], at the end of section 2., the author displays that you can find the position of where the two characteristic lines intersect, and then states "thus, helping in developing the supersonic nozzle". Similar information in [2] on slide 21. Trouble is, all these paper have displayed is that you can derive the position of the characteristic line intersection, as well as the change in flow angle (theta), and finally the change in Mach number at this point downstream. But this only provides us the position of characteristic line intersection- this doesn't provide me the position of the wall of my nozzle at all. How has this given me the geometry of my wall?

I fundamentally get how the characteristic lines are generated, and how they interact during intersections. But I seem to be missing something in these sources that displays how wall contour is derived from these characteristic meshes.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
To be clear- I am asking for HELP with MOC- I am not sharing this for pure information! Probably should have mentioned that in my title, or something.

What is the Method of Characteristics?

The Method of Characteristics is a mathematical technique used to solve certain types of partial differential equations, particularly those that involve hyperbolic equations. It involves finding a set of curves, known as characteristics, along which the solution to the equation is constant.

How does the Method of Characteristics work?

The Method of Characteristics works by transforming the original partial differential equation into a set of ordinary differential equations along the characteristic curves. These equations can then be solved to find the solution to the original equation.

What types of equations can be solved using the Method of Characteristics?

The Method of Characteristics is most commonly used for hyperbolic equations, such as the wave equation and the transport equation. It can also be used for some elliptic and parabolic equations, but its effectiveness may vary.

What are the advantages of using the Method of Characteristics?

The Method of Characteristics can provide an explicit solution to a partial differential equation, which can be useful for understanding the behavior of a system. It can also be more efficient than other numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods.

What are the limitations of the Method of Characteristics?

The Method of Characteristics may not work for all types of partial differential equations, and its effectiveness may depend on the specific problem being solved. It also requires a good understanding of the characteristics and their behavior, which can be challenging for complex systems.