On the non-applicability of Newtonian mechanics

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of why Newtonian mechanics is not applicable to quantum mechanics and more natural phenomena in gravity, and the need for general relativity and special relativity to explain these phenomena. The importance of studying textbooks and conducting thorough research was emphasized. Additionally, it was suggested that specific, well-researched questions be asked in order to receive helpful answers on the topic. The conversation was then concluded and the thread was closed.
trees and plants
Hello. The questions are: Why Newtonian mechanics is not applicable to quantum mechanics and more natural phenomena in gravity? So, we needed general relativity which offers a metric theory about gravity and applies to more phenomena in nature, but how is this explained that special and general relativity where needed? About the Lorentz transformations in special relativity, how did they occur? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
This question is threefold - "Why do you need QM?" "Why do you need GR?" and "How does SR" work. These all require chapters of textbooks, if not entire textbooks.

What research have you done to answer this question?
Also, A-level means you want a graduate-level answer. That means you've already seen these textbooks. Which ones and what didn't you understand?

Likes lomidrevo
Vanadium 50 said:
This question is threefold - "Why do you need QM?" "Why do you need GR?" and "How does SR" work. These all require chapters of textbooks, if not entire textbooks.

What research have you done to answer this question?
Also, A-level means you want a graduate-level answer. That means you've already seen these textbooks. Which ones and what didn't you understand?
I have read mostly from pdfs about quantum mechanics, quantum field theory and general relativity. Perhaps the writers told about it in the beginning of the pdfs? I did not read something about it.

infinitely small said:
I have read mostly from pdfs

That is utterly and completely useless. Why do you think the file format answers the question. That's no better than "I read it in a book!"

You're asking us to write a book, or at least a couple chapters, when you apparently have not looked yourself. Is this reasonable?

Ok, i should better read the pdfs. Sorry for that.

infinitely small said:
Hello. The questions are: Why Newtonian mechanics is not applicable to quantum mechanics and more natural phenomena in gravity? So, we needed general relativity which offers a metric theory about gravity and applies to more phenomena in nature, but how is this explained that special and general relativity where needed? About the Lorentz transformations in special relativity, how did they occur? Thank you.
Very brief answer: because classical Newtonian mechanics is not in accordance with several observations and experiments. For detailed answers you would really need to study few textbooks involving all the topics you asked about, as suggested by @Vanadium 50

infinitely small said:
Ok, i should better read the pdfs.

Yes, you should. That is the place to start.

So what kind of questions should i ask? Perhaps those whose answers are not at textbooks or pdfs or scientific journals? Or perhaps some exercises or problems that i have difficulty in solving?

infinitely small said:
So what kind of questions should i ask?

Questions where you have done some work on your own to find the answers. Don't just ask us to write you a textbook.

infinitely small said:
So what kind of questions should i ask?
Where we can help is while you are carefully reading the textbooks and you come on specific small questions that confuse you. This question was far too broad and general. Remember, this is an Internet forum, so answers are going to be a few hundred words at most. We can answer specific questions in that amount, but not write you a textbook.

This thread is closed.

1. What is Newtonian mechanics?

Newtonian mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics that describes the motion of objects based on Newton's laws of motion. It is a fundamental theory in physics that has been used to explain the motion of objects in our everyday lives.

2. Why is Newtonian mechanics not applicable in some situations?

Newtonian mechanics is based on the assumption that objects move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. However, in certain situations, such as at very high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields, this assumption breaks down and the predictions of Newtonian mechanics do not match with experimental observations.

3. What are some examples of situations where Newtonian mechanics is not applicable?

Some examples include the motion of objects at speeds close to the speed of light, the behavior of subatomic particles, and the motion of objects in strong gravitational fields such as near black holes.

4. How do scientists explain these situations without using Newtonian mechanics?

In these situations, scientists use other theories such as Einstein's theory of relativity or quantum mechanics to accurately describe and predict the behavior of objects. These theories have been extensively tested and have been shown to better explain the observed phenomena.

5. Is Newtonian mechanics still relevant in modern science?

Yes, Newtonian mechanics is still relevant and widely used in many fields of science and engineering. It provides a good approximation for the motion of objects in most everyday situations and is still taught as a fundamental theory in physics. However, it is important to recognize its limitations and use more advanced theories when necessary.