On the orthogonality of the rotation matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the rotated vector components and the length of the rotated vector squared. It is shown that for the length to remain invariant, the rotation matrix components must satisfy the relation ##R_{ij} R_{ik} = \delta_{jk}##. The conversation also covers the sufficiency and necessity of this condition, with the conclusion that if the length of a vector remains unchanged, then ##R_{ij} R_{ik} = \delta_{jk}## must hold.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Show how the rotation matrix is orthogonal in three dimensional Euclidean space ##E_3## when it acts on vectors. Remember that rotation should preserve the length of the vector.
Relevant Equations
If the vector ##\mathbf x = x_i \hat e_i## is acted on by a rotation matrix ##\mathbb {R}##, we obtain a different (rotated) vector ##\mathbf x' = x'_i \hat e_i##, where ##\boxed{x'_i = R_{ij} x_j}##, ##R_{ij}##'s being the components of the rotation matrix ##\mathbb {R}##.

The length of a vector ##|\mathbf{x}|^2 = x_i x_i##.
Let me start with the rotated vector components : ##x'_i = R_{ij} x_j##. The length of the rotated vector squared : ##x'_i x'_i = R_{ij} x_j R_{ik} x_k##. For this (squared) length to be invariant, we must have ##R_{ij} x_j R_{ik} x_k = R_{ij} R_{ik} x_j x_k = x_l x_l##.

If the rotation matrix components supported the relation ##\boxed{R_{ij} R_{ik} = \delta_{jk}}##, we find that the above equation would hold good, ##l## being a dummy variable which can be replaced by ##j## or ##k##.

However, I have proved sufficiency : Given that ##R_{ij} R_{ik} = \delta_{jk}##, the length of a vector remains unchanged.

I am stuck as to the necessity : If the length of a vector is given to be unchanged, show how ##\boxed{R_{ij} R_{ik} = \delta_{jk}}##.

A help as to prove the necessary condition would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
we must have ##R_{ij} x_j R_{ik} x_k = R_{ij} R_{ik} x_j x_k = x_l x_l##.

And, e.g., ##x_l = \delta_{jl} x_j##.

For necessity note that the condition that ##\vec{x}^2## is unschanged must hold for all vectors ##\vec{x}##. What can you conclude for ##(\vec{x}+\vec{y})^2## where ##\vec{x}## and ##\vec{y}## are arbitrary vectors?

Likes etotheipi
vanhees71 said:
For necessity note that the condition that ##\vec{x}^2## is unschanged must hold for all vectors ##\vec{x}##. What can you conclude for ##(\vec{x}+\vec{y})^2## where ##\vec{x}## and ##\vec{y}## are arbitrary vectors?

Let me write out the equations as you put it.

As the arbitrary vector ##\vec x## would have its (squared) length unchanged, we can say that ##\left( \vec x + \vec y \right)^2 = \left( \vec x + \vec y \right)^2 = \left( \vec x' + \vec y' \right)^2 = \left( \rm R \vec x + \rm R \vec y \right)^2 \Rightarrow \vec x^2 + \vec y^2 + 2 \vec x \cdot \vec y = (\rm R \vec x)^2 + (\rm R \vec y)^2 + 2 R_{ij} R_{ik} x_i x_j##.

For this to be valid, seeing the last term, we have ##\boxed{R_{ij} R_{ik} = \delta_{jk}}##.

Thank you very much.

Please let me know if I have been correct when you have the time.

Likes vanhees71
Of course the last term in your long equation should be ##2 R_{ij} R_{ik} x_i y_j##. Then, since ##(R \vec{x})^2=\vec{x}^2## and ##(R\vec{y})^2=\vec{y}^2## you have from your equation necessarily ##R_{ij} R_{ik} x_j y_k=\delta_{jk} x_j x_k## which means, since this has to hold for any ##\vec{x}## and ##\vec{y}## that ##R_{ij} R_{ik}=\delta_{jk}##. In matrix notation this reads ##R^{\text{T}} R=1##, where ##R^{\text{T}}## is the transposed matrix, i.e., writing the columns of ##R## as the rows of ##R^{\text{T}}##.

1. What is the rotation matrix?

The rotation matrix is a mathematical tool used to represent a rotation in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It is a square matrix with dimensions of 3x3 and is used to describe the orientation of an object in space.

2. What does it mean for a rotation matrix to be orthogonal?

An orthogonal rotation matrix is one in which the columns and rows are all perpendicular to each other. This means that the matrix is symmetric and its inverse is equal to its transpose.

3. How is orthogonality of the rotation matrix important in mathematics?

The orthogonality of the rotation matrix is important in mathematics because it ensures that the matrix preserves the length and angle of vectors. This property is essential in many applications, such as computer graphics and robotics.

4. Can a non-orthogonal rotation matrix still represent a rotation?

Yes, a non-orthogonal rotation matrix can still represent a rotation. However, it may also include a shear transformation, which can distort the shape of an object.

5. How can the orthogonality of a rotation matrix be tested?

The orthogonality of a rotation matrix can be tested by multiplying the matrix by its transpose and checking if the result is equal to the identity matrix. Additionally, the dot product of any two rows or columns should be equal to zero if the matrix is orthogonal.