On what does gravity assist depend? (possibly with sources)

renobueno
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Hey guys, I am preparing for a presentation about gravity assist and I cant find much information about this topic. Ive gone already through wikipedia but wikipedia only talks about the velocity change. What are other factors which could have affects on the gravity assist?

Like I assume the velocity of the probe is important and perhaps even the angle of attack. But I couldnt explain why.

Hope you can help me out! I've searching for valuable sources for the past 6h but couldnt find something between oversimplified and raw physics degree. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
It is just a velocity change, though, isn't it? Looking at the planet and the probe, they just loop round each other in a hyperbolic orbit, and they both change speed and direction (the probe more than the planet, due to the mass ratio). You just set up the approach to the planet so the exit speed of the probe is faster with respect to the Sun (or slower, whichever you were going for).

What education level are you supposed to be presenting at?

Likes FactChecker
If you read this Wikipedia article, what, specifically, are you asking for?

A key aspect to explain is why you need to pass behind the planet to gain velocity in the planet's direction but in front of it to gain velocity the other way.
Can you find an argument for that?

Likes Ibix and FactChecker