One magnet motor that does not break any thermodynamic rules

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential efficiency of an engine that uses a superconductive magnet and its limitations due to the need for liquid helium. The participants also explore the possibility of using the engine to power a small generator for mobile phone charging in areas without electricity. The energy conversion efficiency of the engine is low but it is still considered a viable option for certain situations.
rolnor
I am wondering how efficient this engine can get, I am thinking if one used a superconductive magnet that is really strong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread closed for Moderation...

Re-opening the thread for a simple scientific discussion...

rolnor said:
I am wondering how efficient this engine can get, I am thinking if one used a superconductive magnet that is really strong?

Questions for you:

1) What is Thermal/Thermo avout this mechanism?

2) It appears to be a simply synchronized weak motor. What am I missing?

3) Superconducting magnets in motors could be more efficient. Why aren't they used now? (The answer is not that scientists and engineers are missing something obvious)

This looks about as efficient as the bobbing duck engine

My first thought is that the magnetic saturation of the nickel is likely a more limiting factor than type of magnet.

The third question; Today its neccesary to use liquid helium to get a superconductive to work.

rolnor said:
The third question; Today its neccesary to use liquid helium to get a superconductive to work.
Correct! Yeah, not very practical for most motor application... :smile:

Khashishi said:
Interesting. Too bad the energy conversion efficiency is so low, but still an interesting mechanism for some situations...
The theoretical energy conversion efficiency of the Heusler alloy was calculated to be 0.2% under an external field of 3kOe, increasing to 0.8% under a field of 15kOe.

Likes rolnor
berkeman said:
Interesting. Too bad the energy conversion efficiency is so low, but still an interesting mechanism for some situations...
Maby this type of engine can bee used to power a very smal generator to load a mobilphone where there is no electricity available? Maby at night when solarcells does not work?

Related to One magnet motor that does not break any thermodynamic rules

1. How does a one magnet motor work without breaking any thermodynamic rules?

The one magnet motor works by utilizing permanent magnets in a specific arrangement that allows it to produce continuous motion without any external energy input. This is possible due to the unique properties of permanent magnets, which are able to maintain their magnetic field without the need for external energy.

2. Is it possible to build a one magnet motor at home?

Yes, it is possible to build a one magnet motor at home. However, it requires a good understanding of magnets and their properties, as well as mechanical and electrical engineering skills. It may also require specialized tools and materials.

3. Can a one magnet motor be used to generate electricity?

Yes, a one magnet motor can be used to generate electricity. By attaching a generator to the motor, the rotational motion of the magnet can be converted into electrical energy. However, the efficiency of this process may vary depending on the design and construction of the motor.

4. Is a one magnet motor a perpetual motion machine?

No, a one magnet motor is not a perpetual motion machine. While it may appear to run indefinitely, it is still subject to the laws of thermodynamics. The energy used in the motor's motion ultimately comes from the magnet's magnetic field, which will eventually dissipate over time.

5. Are there any real-world applications for a one magnet motor?

Currently, there are no widespread real-world applications for a one magnet motor. However, some researchers are exploring the potential use of this technology in small-scale devices, such as sensors and actuators, and in niche applications like space exploration where traditional power sources may not be available.