One notification on the bell still not cleared

• Bug
  • Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that notifications don't clear after being viewed multiple times, or when opened directly from the bell icon. There is a workaround, but it is not easy.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
One bell-notification is appearing, and still not cleared after viewing the specific message two or three times now.

Bell icon shows a red square and inside the red square is a white digit "1". The message being notified about is "2019 PF Member Award Voting is Here! https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/2019-pf-member-awards.295/ ". Like I said, I already viewed this message but it is not been cleared from the notifications list and still is showing the red symbol on the bell. Already viewed the topic and the posting, too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Announcement type notifications don't clear. The workaround is to go to your preferences and make sure that one or other of "Alerts pop-up skips mark read" and "Alerts page skips mark read" is unticked. Then either open the alerts popup or open it and follow the "Show all" link at the bottom.

symbolipoint said:
One bell-notification is appearing, and still not cleared after viewing the specific message two or three times now.

Bell icon shows a red square and inside the red square is a white digit "1". The message being notified about is "2019 PF Member Award Voting is Here! https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/2019-pf-member-awards.295/ ". Like I said, I already viewed this message but it is not been cleared from the notifications list and still is showing the red symbol on the bell. Already viewed the topic and the posting, too.
Yes, that is a known problem and seems to have no solution on the board. I've had it for months now and very annoyingly the only way to get rid of it is to go to my PF >> preferences >> uncheck the Alerts pop-up skips mark read box >> hit save >> click on the bell a couple of times to get rid of the red >> go back to preferences >> click the Alerts pop-up skips mark read again >> hit save again. DONE. Obnoxious, huh?

Ibix said:
Announcement type notifications don't clear.
phinds said:
Yes, that is a known problem and seems to have no solution on the board.
Never faced this before. When I got that alert, along with many others, I clicked on the bell as usual, and all the alerts were marked read. This included any announcement-type alert, including the one mentioned by the OP:
symbolipoint said:
2019 PF Member Award Voting is Here! https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/2019-pf-member-awards.295/

Wrichik Basu said:
Never faced this before. When I got that alert, along with many others, I clicked on the bell as usual, and all the alerts were marked read. This included any announcement-type alert, including the one mentioned by the OP:
Yes, the problem only occurs for some of us "lucky" ones. That may be why @Greg Bernhardt hasn't done anything to fix it --- not enough users have the problem, or possibly it's something about how our browsers interact w/ the board software, not just the board software itself.

phinds said:
That may be why @Greg Bernhardt hasn't done anything to fix it --- not enough users have the problem.
Or maybe he hasn't been able to reproduce the problem.

Wrichik Basu said:
That's because, in your preferences, you have it set to clear alerts when viewed in the pop-up. I (and symbolipoint, apparently) don't. My alerts only clear when I click on them. But announcements don't clear when clicked on.

Ibix said:
That's because, in your preferences, you have it set to clear alerts when viewed in the pop-up. I (and symbolipoint, apparently) don't. My alerts only clear when I click on them. But announcements don't clear when clicked on.
Yes, now I could reproduce the problem.

One thing that could be done is, just like there is a "Mark Unread" option for alerts already read, let there be a "Mark Read" option for users who have de-selected "Alerts pop-up skips mark read" option. Just an idea, don't know if it is actually possible to implement this.

Confusing what you's are saying.
I will try just clicking on the red square to choose to open the alerts directly there and see if that does anything.

Yes! That cleared it.
The one persistent notification, when opened by left click the bell&red-square, opens that post which the number in the red square represents; and the red notification on the bell goes away.

symbolipoint said:
Yes! That cleared it.
The one persistent notification, when opened by left click the bell&red-square, opens that post which the number in the red square represents; and the red notification on the bell goes away.
So, is the long-standing problem solved?

Wrichik Basu said:
So, is the long-standing problem solved?
Depends how you mean. The method I (tried to) describe made the persistent notification on the bell go away. Trying to just open the list of notifications and then reading of them one by one, did not make the one troublesome item go away in the bell-notification.

Yes or no, too hard to pick. Knowing what to do, or remembering what to do, that will make for either "yes" or "no". People like me need to be reminded unless we just stumble on it again.

I only have the problem when posts by MENTORS produce alerts. Post by regular uses don't have the problem.

What I find rather odd. . . is the alert puts a small red spot at the upper left of my

bookmark icon, right at the top of the P. . . . 🤨

1577350516677.png

Even if I dump the bookmark and replace it, its still there. . . . 😒

It's not the first time that it's happened, either. . . 🤔

OCR said:
What I find rather odd. . . is the alert puts a small red spot at the upper left of my

View attachment 254721

I've seen that too. Generally if you refresh it goes away.

OCR said:

View attachment 254721

Which browser? Probably not Google Chrome; or maybe that just happens with you and few others.

symbolipoint said:
Which browser? Probably not Google Chrome; or maybe that just happens with you and few others.
It happens in Chrome as well; refreshing the page a few times removes it.

Wrichik Basu said:
It happens in Chrome as well; refreshing the page a few times removes it.
Yep. See post #14

1. Why is there still a notification on my bell icon?

There could be a few reasons for this. It's possible that the notification is for an event or message that has not yet been seen or acknowledged. It could also be a glitch in the system that is causing the notification to remain even after it has been cleared. Lastly, it's possible that the notification is for a recurring event that has not yet been completed.

2. How do I clear the notification on my bell icon?

To clear the notification, you can click on the bell icon and then click on the "Clear" button next to the notification. This will remove the notification from your bell icon and mark it as read.

3. Can I customize the notifications on my bell icon?

Yes, you can customize the notifications on your bell icon by going to your settings and selecting the notifications tab. From there, you can choose which notifications you want to receive and how you want to be notified.

4. Will clearing the notification on my bell icon remove it permanently?

Yes, clearing the notification on your bell icon will remove it permanently. However, if the notification is for a recurring event, it will reappear when the event occurs again.

5. Why am I still receiving notifications after clearing them on my bell icon?

If you are still receiving notifications after clearing them on your bell icon, it could be because you have multiple devices logged into your account. Clearing the notification on one device will not clear it on the others. You can also check your notification settings to make sure you have not accidentally selected to receive notifications for that event or message.