Online Course Work Question - Dynamics

In summary, the first problem is that the website says a value for mass that is incorrect. The second problem is that the force of friction is not equal on both strings, and without knowing the mass of the block, it is impossible to calculate the force of friction.
RoyalewithCh33s3
Hello everyone, I'm sorry if a question like this has been posted before, but I am trying to get my online work done for tonight and I have come across two problems that I just can't get past. I have gotten far into the problems but the website I enter values in on says theyre wrong. I appreciate any help I can get.

Question 1:

showme.gif

On a level road with its brakes on, the shortest distance in which a car traveling with 98 km/hr can stop is 92 m. The shortest stopping distance occurs when the driver uses anti-lock brakes, which means that the car brakes without skidding.

I found |a| to be: 4.027 m/s^2

Next it asks for b) What is the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the pavement?

I looked up the coefficient of friction for concrete and rubber and it says 1. Now when I put that in it says it's wrong. I was wondering how its possible to figure out a problem like this with no value for mass.

Question 2:

showme2.gif

A block of mass M = 15 kg is suspended at rest by two strings attached to walls, as shown in the figure. The left string is horizontal and the right string makes an angle q = 50° with the horizontal. What is the tension in the left string? (Assume the ring where the strings come together is massless.)

Ok, this one I thought I had the right answer after working through it but the site says I'm wrong. Here's what I did:

15kg=147.15N

Since there are two strings holding up the block, 147.15/2=73.58

That means that the T in the y direction of the right string is 73.58N.

Then TRy=73.58/sin50 or 96.045 N

Now if I might be mistaken but that force doesn't really matter because what I can use is the T on the right string in the x direction is equal to the T on the left string in the x direction (because the system is in equilibrium).

So: F in x direction on the right string= 73.58/tan50

Which means that the T on the left string= 61.74 N

I might be missing a key concept here, but any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks! (And go easy on my please, I know what its like to read posts by newbies.)

Attachments

• showme.gif
    showme.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 428
  • showme2.gif
    showme2.gif
    3 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I've been looking around online and I haven't seen any equation or group of equations to figure out friction without a mass.

You have the acceleration. Newton's 2nd law says what about acceleration? (hint: consider the frictional force to be the only force on the car tires)

F=ma

Ok, I was trying to use that but don't we have two unknowns here?

We don't know m, and we can't get the FF=(mu)FN

So how can I use the Force of friction on the tires if I have no mass and only acceleration?

Oh, and there's an update...I got the second problem by not dividing the force in the y direction by two. It was a pure guess and check, so if someone can explain why that would be greatly appreciated.

We don't know m, and we can't get the FF=(mu)FN[/sup]

Chi meson was alluding to m*a = (mu) m*g => a = (mu) g and knowing a and g, one calculates 'mu'.

For the second problem, one string holds up the block. The vertical component of the Tension in the string at 50° supports the weight of the block. The horizontal component of the Tension in the string at 50° is balance by the Tension in the horizontal string.

Oh wow, I can't believe I didnt see that, I had it almost written like that except I dint have ma on the other side, in which case i would have no way to cancel the mass.

Thanks much both Chi and Astro!

1. What is dynamics in an online course?

Dynamics in an online course refer to the interactions and movements between different elements of the course, such as the instructor, students, course materials, and technology.

2. How does dynamics affect online course work?

Dynamics can greatly impact the success of online course work. Positive dynamics, such as effective communication and collaboration, can enhance learning and engagement. Negative dynamics, such as technical issues or lack of support, can hinder the learning experience.

3. How can instructors improve dynamics in their online courses?

Instructors can improve dynamics in their online courses by creating a supportive and interactive learning environment. This can be achieved through clear communication, providing timely feedback, and incorporating interactive activities and discussions.

4. What are some common challenges with dynamics in online courses?

Some common challenges with dynamics in online courses include technical issues, communication barriers, and lack of student engagement. These challenges can be addressed by using reliable technology, providing clear instructions, and encouraging student participation.

5. How can students contribute to positive dynamics in online courses?

Students can contribute to positive dynamics in online courses by actively participating in discussions and group activities, communicating effectively with their peers and instructors, and being open to different perspectives and ideas.