Online courses or textbooks on fusion power?

In summary, online courses and textbooks on fusion power offer valuable resources for those interested in learning about this complex topic. While online courses provide interactive learning opportunities, textbooks offer comprehensive and in-depth information. Both options can be beneficial for individuals looking to gain a better understanding of fusion power and its potential applications. Whether one chooses to enroll in an online course or study from a textbook, these resources offer a convenient and accessible way to learn about this cutting-edge technology.
Fedari
I've seen a few posts about fusion on this thread so I thought I'd give this a shot:

I'm an mechanical engineering grad student working in alternative energy and have become interested in learning more about fusion (I'm currently conducting research on fuel cell systems). What are some good online courses, videos, or textbooks that I can dive into in order to begin learning more about fusion?

I know I've made my decision to become interested in this kind of late in my career, so does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do now to get my foot in the door of a company or national lab for when I finish grad school in 1 to 4 years?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I recommend checking out Prof. Jim Callen's homepage: http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~callen/

He posted a number of course lecture notes and video tapes of a course he taught. Most of the notes are from course taught in the eighties and early nineties, but most of the topics are still relevant. His notes focus on plasma physics, which is a huge part of fusion research. He is also a theorist and the math in some of the higher level courses is very rigorous.

There are also a number of mechanical engineering problems in fusion research. Fusion experiments are subject to large stresses from strong magnetic fields. The often also rely on efficient vacuum systems and cryogenics. And ultimately when you start talking about a power plant, we need to design "steam cycles" that can handle the extreme heat loads. If you're more interested in these aspects of fusion research, I'd recommend trying to find a copy of Dolan's book "Fusion Research." I think he's given permission to distribute the book online, so you can probably find a pdf by doing a google search.

I found a copy of the book you suggested here: http://www.sunist.org/shared%20documents/Fusion%20Research%20Course%20by%20Thomas%20Dolan/Whole%20Document%20pdf,%20djvu%20and%20tiff/Fusion%20Research%201%20file%20original%20with%20hidden%20text.pdf

That other site looks great, though I guess asking for something more modern is too much as far as free goes. Thanks!

I don't know what level you are at, but the Iter web site has some good introductory materials on fusion energy.

That other site looks great, though I guess asking for something more modern is too much as far as free goes. Thanks!

The lecture materials I suggested really are the foundations for modern theories. Mush of the material covered is still very relevant.

Another good reference for physics issues are the "ITER Physics Basis", and the "Progress in the ITER Physics Basis". They were both Published in Nuclear Fusion, The first in 1999 and the Second in 2007. These two series of papers summarize the scientific basis for magnetically confined fusion relevant to tokamaks. I believe that the Journal provides both of these series of papers for free.

1. What is fusion power and why is it important?

Fusion power is a potential form of energy that is created by fusing two or more atomic nuclei together. It is important because it has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy, with minimal environmental impact.

2. Are there any online courses available on fusion power?

Yes, there are several online courses available on fusion power. These courses cover topics such as the science behind fusion, current research and advancements in fusion technology, and potential applications of fusion power.

3. What are the benefits of taking an online course on fusion power?

Taking an online course on fusion power allows individuals to learn about this complex topic at their own pace and from the comfort of their own home. It also provides access to expert instructors and the latest research in the field.

4. Are there any textbooks specifically dedicated to fusion power?

Yes, there are several textbooks available that focus on fusion power. These textbooks cover a wide range of topics, from basic concepts to advanced theories and applications.

5. How can learning about fusion power benefit my career?

Learning about fusion power can benefit your career in several ways. It can open up opportunities in the fields of energy, engineering, and research. It can also enhance your knowledge and skills in a rapidly advancing area of science and technology.