Online Physics Tutoring advice

In summary: Honestly, while I know I can find jobs teaching English, I'd much rather be teaching physics. That's why I'm looking into opportunities and finding out all I can before trying to switch paths.
leighn
Hello! I have a B.S. in Physics with an emphasis in Physics Education Research, and have recently been considering tutoring lower level physics students online. During my degree, I tutored at my university and I've also had experience teaching English as a Second Language. I'm not overly found of the rigidity of the classroom format and much prefer working one-on-one. However, before I decide on this path, I have a few questions for people who have already done something similar:

1. What are the key challenges you face? What has and hasn't worked when facing these problems?

2. What do you find most students looking for (i.e. one off sessions, once a week sessions, help at the end of the semester, focus on particular problems, etc.)

3. What stops students (or parents of students) from reaching out to tutors?

4. What do students struggle with the most that can not be solved in a classroom environment?

5. What advice do you have to make this a successful career choice?

I'm thinking about starting by focusing on helping students prepare for the AP Physics C test. However, any help and advice is greatly appreciated! If you don't want to answer on the forum, I would love to hear from you via private message.

Physics news on Phys.org
leighn said:
During my degree, I tutored at my university and I've also had experience teaching English as a Second Language. I'm not overly found of the rigidity of the classroom format and much prefer working one-on-one.
You could be sure in many cases, if you are properly qualified according to the needs of the institution, of having plenty of ESL teaching opportunities and attending students, if you want to make that choice.

leighn said:
Hello! I have a B.S. in Physics with an emphasis in Physics Education Research, and have recently been considering tutoring lower level physics students online. During my degree, I tutored at my university and I've also had experience teaching English as a Second Language. I'm not overly found of the rigidity of the classroom format and much prefer working one-on-one. However, before I decide on this path, I have a few questions for people who have already done something similar:

1. What are the key challenges you face? What has and hasn't worked when facing these problems?

2. What do you find most students looking for (i.e. one off sessions, once a week sessions, help at the end of the semester, focus on particular problems, etc.)

3. What stops students (or parents of students) from reaching out to tutors?

4. What do students struggle with the most that can not be solved in a classroom environment?

5. What advice do you have to make this a successful career choice?

I'm thinking about starting by focusing on helping students prepare for the AP Physics C test. However, any help and advice is greatly appreciated! If you don't want to answer on the forum, I would love to hear from you via private message.

I actually have a question for you. Have you ever done an online or even a blended physics lesson before, either as a student or an educator?

Zz.

symbolipoint said:
You could be sure in many cases, if you are properly qualified according to the needs of the institution, of having plenty of ESL
symbolipoint said:
You could be sure in many cases, if you are properly qualified according to the needs of the institution, of having plenty of ESL teaching opportunities and attending students, if you want to make that choice.

teaching opportunities and attending students, if you want to make that choice.

Honestly, while I know I can find jobs teaching English, I'd much rather be teaching physics. That's why I'm looking into opportunities and finding out all I can before trying to switch paths.

ZapperZ said:
I actually have a question for you. Have you ever done an online or even a blended physics lesson before, either as a student or an educator?

Zz.

Unfortunately, as an educator, all of my physics tutoring has been in person. However, I've done English tutoring online and recently been looking into the technology that can aid in an online physics lesson, as well as taken some online courses myself (though not one-on-one). I've also been reading what I can find with tips for online physics tutoring, but someone told me it's good to ask people who have that experience about their challenges in order to best prepare. Since everyone has to start somewhere, and I'm hoping I can gain as much information as possible first, so that I'm best able to support and help any students I work with.

If you have any tips, I'd be really happy to hear them, especially if they're for someone just starting physics tutoring online, such as myself.

1. How can I find a reliable online physics tutor?

There are several ways to find a reliable online physics tutor. You can ask for recommendations from friends, family, or teachers. You can also do a quick internet search and read reviews from other students. Additionally, many tutoring companies have a screening process for their tutors, so make sure to check their website for their qualifications and experience.

2. What type of equipment do I need for online physics tutoring?

To participate in online physics tutoring, you will need a stable internet connection, a device such as a computer or tablet, a webcam, and a microphone. Some tutoring platforms may also require specific software or applications to be downloaded, so make sure to check beforehand.

3. How can I make the most out of my online physics tutoring sessions?

To make the most out of your online physics tutoring sessions, it is important to come prepared with questions and topics you want to cover. Take notes during the session and review them afterward. Practice problems and apply the concepts you learned to reinforce your understanding. It is also helpful to communicate openly with your tutor and ask for clarification if needed.

4. Can online physics tutoring be as effective as in-person tutoring?

Yes, online physics tutoring can be just as effective as in-person tutoring. With the advancement of technology, online platforms offer various interactive tools and resources that can enhance the learning experience. Additionally, online tutoring allows for more flexibility and convenience for both the student and the tutor.

5. How often should I schedule online physics tutoring sessions?

The frequency of online physics tutoring sessions depends on your individual needs and goals. Some students may benefit from more frequent sessions, while others may only need occasional help on specific topics. It is important to communicate with your tutor and create a schedule that works best for you.