Online Physics Tutoring: Tips for Making Money w/o PhD

In summary, the speaker is a physics PhD student specializing in soft-matter physics and elasticity theory. They will be writing a licentiate's thesis in the spring and plan to make money through online tutoring and a website with solutions to physics exercises. They are unsure if they can make a significant amount of money without a PhD degree and are seeking tips to make their website more popular.
hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hi,

I've been a physics PhD student for a year, specializing in soft-matter physics and elasticity theory. In spring I'm going to write a licentiate's thesis about the work I've done so far (in the Finnish and Swedish education systems, the degree of Licentiate of Philosophy is equivalent to one half of a doctoral degree, and can be completed in two years after master's degree).

I can't continue to making a doctoral dissertation in my current academic institution, because my supervisor is going to start working in the private sector. I'd have to find another research group from some other university.

Next spring I'm probably not going to have a job and I have to live on unemployment benefits. I've been planning to make some extra money online by creating a website that has a large collection of solutions to typical undergraduate physics exercises, and offering personal physics tutoring for undergraduates on my site. I'm going to try to optimize my site so that it easily pops up as a search result when people try to find homework help with a google search.

Is it realistic to expect that I could be able to make a notable amount of money by online tutoring without having a PhD degree first? Do you have any tips how to make my website more popular?

Physics news on Phys.org
hilbert2 said:
Is it realistic to expect that I could be able to make a notable amount of money by online tutoring without having a PhD degree first?
Depends on who you want to tutor. I'd say a PhD student is quite capable to tutor most students.

hilbert2 said:
Do you have any tips how to make my website more popular?
If you become a Gold member you can add your URL to your signature
https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades

1. What qualifications do I need to become an online physics tutor?

To become an online physics tutor, you do not need a PhD or any formal qualifications. However, having a strong understanding of physics concepts and good communication skills are essential. It is also helpful to have experience in teaching or tutoring, either in person or online.

2. How much money can I make as an online physics tutor?

The amount of money you can make as an online physics tutor varies depending on factors such as your qualifications, experience, and the demand for tutors in your area. On average, online tutors can make anywhere from $20 to $50 per hour.

3. Do I need to have a teaching license to become an online physics tutor?

No, you do not need a teaching license to become an online physics tutor. However, having a teaching license may provide you with more opportunities and higher pay rates.

4. How do I find students for online physics tutoring?

There are several ways to find students for online physics tutoring. You can advertise your services on tutoring websites or social media platforms, reach out to local schools or universities, or join online tutoring platforms that connect students with tutors.

5. What are some tips for being successful as an online physics tutor?

Some tips for being successful as an online physics tutor include having a clear and organized lesson plan, using interactive and engaging teaching methods, providing personalized attention to students, and continuously improving your knowledge and teaching skills.