Only 1 hour to the Aurigids meteor shower (storm?)

In summary, there was a prediction of a brief storm at 4:30am PDT (11:30 UT) that may have been visible to those still awake. There were mixed reports, with some seeing hundreds and others seeing none due to clouds. However, for some, the event was successful with many bright meteors visible despite the bright moon.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There's some buzz that this one may storm briefly for about 1 hour centered on about 4:30am Pacific Daylight Time (11:30 UT). That's just about 1 hour from now. So anyone whose still awake might want to peek outside. Maybe you'll see hundreds, or maybe none at all. I've seen storm predictions fail to materialize before.

http://leonid.arc.nasa.gov/aurigids.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, maybe something good came out of my sinus's after all. I'll head out in a few minutes to check it out.

I think it was a dud. There were many clouds here. But through the clear patches I didn't see anything.

No dud

Where I lived it was no dud. The moon was bright so only the really bright metors were visible, but there were quite a number of those.

That's good to know. I haven't seen any reports yet. Did it have a sharp peak? How many did you see?

Related to Only 1 hour to the Aurigids meteor shower (storm?)

1. What is the Aurigids meteor shower?

The Aurigids meteor shower is an annual astronomical event that occurs in late August. It is caused by the Earth passing through debris left behind by the comet Kiess.

2. When is the best time to view the Aurigids meteor shower?

The peak of the Aurigids meteor shower typically occurs in the early hours of August 31st, but it can also be visible a few days before and after this date. The best viewing time is usually between midnight and dawn.

3. Where is the best place to view the Aurigids meteor shower?

The Aurigids meteor shower can be seen from all around the world, but the best viewing locations are areas with minimal light pollution. This could include rural areas, high elevations, or designated dark sky parks.

4. How many meteors can be seen during the Aurigids meteor shower?

The Aurigids meteor shower is not known for producing a high number of meteors, with an average of 5-10 per hour. However, it is known for producing bright and colorful meteors, making it a unique and beautiful event to witness.

5. Do I need any special equipment to view the Aurigids meteor shower?

No special equipment is required to view the Aurigids meteor shower. In fact, using binoculars or a telescope may limit your field of view and make it harder to see the meteors. It is best to find a comfortable spot with a clear view of the sky and let your eyes adjust to the darkness.