Ontology of wavefunction vs. ontology of electric field

In summary, different interpretations of quantum mechanics have different opinions about the ontology of the wavefunction, which affects the debate about its existence.
greypilgrim
Hi.

Different interpretations of QM have different opinions about the ontology of the wavefunction, i.e. if it really, physically exists or if it is "just" a mathematical tool needed to calculate the outcome of measurements. The QM interpretations comparison table on Wikipedia summarises the answer to this question in the "Wavefunction real?" column.

So far I haven't seen similar discussions about the existence of classical fields, e.g. the electric field. It is defined at every point in space as the force that would act on a small charged test particle, divided by its charge. An analogous question now could be if the electric field really, physically exists in empty space or if it is only a mathematical tool.
Is there a definite answer to this question?

If not, in what way do the concepts "wavefunction" and "electric field" differ such that the question about existence seems to be much more debatable for the former?

Physics news on Phys.org
greypilgrim said:
in what way do the concepts "wavefunction" and "electric field" differ
One can probe by a single measurement the value of the electric field in a small region where it does not vary much, whereas one cannot do the same for the value of a wave function.

Last edited:
But this is a property of probability and also applicable to classical probability distributions.

So why aren't we debating if the probability distribution of a classical coin flip really, physically exists or if it is just a mathematical tool, but we are when it comes to a wavefunction describing a spin 1/2?

greypilgrim said:
But this is a property of probability and also applicable to classical probability distributions.
Yes. And indeed there is disagreement whether probabilities are real (a property of a physical system) or subjective (just mathematical tools). This shows that (potential) direct observability makes the difference.

Likes greypilgrim
greypilgrim said:
Surely you are not suggesting that "can probe by a single measurement" is a property of probability and classical property distributions?

So why aren't we debating if the probability distribution of a classical coin flip really, physically exists or if it is just a mathematical tool, but we are when it comes to a wavefunction describing a spin 1/2?
I have no idea, but then again I'm not sure who this "we" that you're talking about is.

Ah, this makes sense.
A. Neumaier said:
And indeed there is disagreement whether probabilities are real (a property of a physical system) or subjective (just mathematical tools).
So am I correct if I say:
The reason this question isn't much debated in classical (deterministic) theories is because probabilities only enter those due to a lack of knowledge, which is subjective. So in classical theories, probabilities are only mathematical tools.

Nugatory said:
Surely you are not suggesting that "can probe by a single measurement" is a property of probability and classical property distributions?
No, I was referring to
A. Neumaier said:
whereas one cannot do the same for the value of a wave function.

greypilgrim said:
No, I was referring to...
Ah - got it - thx.

greypilgrim said:
Ah, this makes sense.

So am I correct if I say:
The reason this question isn't much debated in classical (deterministic) theories is because probabilities only enter those due to a lack of knowledge, which is subjective. So in classical theories, probabilities are only mathematical tools.
No. I said there is disagreement about the reality status of classical probability. Thre are objective (frequency) schools and subjective (Bayesian) schools, and shades in between. It is nearly as controversial and problem-ridden as quantum mechanics interpretations, though not as fiercly debated.

1. What is the difference between the ontology of wavefunction and the ontology of electric field?

The ontology of wavefunction refers to the concept that the wavefunction, or mathematical representation of a quantum system, is the fundamental object that exists in physical reality. On the other hand, the ontology of electric field refers to the idea that the electric field, a physical quantity that describes the interactions between charged particles, is the fundamental object that exists in physical reality.

2. Which ontology is more widely accepted in the scientific community?

The ontology of wavefunction is currently more widely accepted in the scientific community, as it aligns with the principles of quantum mechanics and has been successful in predicting and explaining experimental results.

3. Can the two ontologies coexist or are they mutually exclusive?

There is ongoing debate and exploration within the scientific community on whether the two ontologies can coexist or if one must be chosen over the other. Some researchers propose that they may be complementary and both necessary for a complete understanding of quantum systems.

4. How do these ontologies relate to the concept of duality in quantum mechanics?

The ontology of wavefunction is closely linked to the wave-like nature of particles, while the ontology of electric field is connected to the particle-like behavior of particles. This duality is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is still not fully understood.

5. Are there any practical implications of choosing one ontology over the other?

At this point, there are no significant practical implications of choosing one ontology over the other. Both ontologies have been successful in explaining and predicting experimental results, and researchers continue to explore their implications and potential applications.