Opamp circuit for Vout = 2v1 - 3v2

In summary, the homework statement asks for an opamp circuit which will output a voltage of the following form: Vout = 2v1 - 3v2. The student tries to solve the problem but is not sure what a voltage divider is or how to calculate Vs1. They eventually find that the output voltage is Vout = 1v1 - 3v2 when Vs2 is turned off.
Squizzel

Homework Statement

Design an Opamp circuit for which the output voltage will be of the following form

Vout = 2v1 - 3v2

Check with Multisim

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We have only learned the basics of Opamps thus far, so I am confused with the question. This is asking for 2 opamps with the first one a gain of 5 and then the second with a gain of -3?

So I would calculate the first opamp with a gain of 5. would that mean that V2 is 5x what ever v1 is?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, they want a single op amp circuit.

Hint: design the negative section first: Vo = -(Rf/Ri)Vi, then add a voltage divider to the + input to reduce the + gain to 2.

Ok so for the v2 I got -R2/R1(v2) so that would be -3/1 so for v1 I get 1+3/1 * R4/R3+R4

So that means it needs to be 1/2 so all of the Rs must be 1?

Squizzel said:
Ok so for the v2 I got -R2/R1(v2) so that would be -3/1
So R2 = 3R1, right? So how can all the R's be the same?

so for v1 I get 1+3/1 * R4/R3+R4

So that means it needs to be 1/2 so all of the Rs must be 1?

For the + input pin you'd get 3+1 = 4 as you state. So what voltage divider do you put at the + input pin to get an overall + gain of 2? You gave the answer: 1/2. So what are your choices of the voltage divider resistors?

Question - did you cover offset current compensation yet?

rude man said:
For the + input pin you'd get 3+1 = 4 as you state. So what voltage divider do you put at the + input pin to get an overall + gain of 2? You gave the answer: 1/2. So what are your choices of the voltage divider resistors?

Question - did you cover offset current compensation yet?

We haven't gone over what offset current compensation is actually. I am also not sure what exactly a voltage divider is. But as to the question, I meant that the R3 and R4 would be 1k, not all of them.

Are you supposed to turn Vs2 off to calculate Vs1?

Squizzel said:

The output of a linear circuit can be found with superposition.

Total output = output due to Vs2 with Vs1 zero + output due to Vs1 with Vs2 off.

That's why you can place all of this on one op amp.

Squizzel said:
We haven't gone over what offset current compensation is actually. I am also not sure what exactly a voltage divider is. But as to the question, I meant that the R3 and R4 would be 1k, not all of them.

Yes. But 'turning off' means zero volts, not an open input!

Your choice of 1K for R3 and R4 is OK. When you get to offset current compensation you will find that R1||R2 should = R3||R4. You can do this and still have R1 = R2.

Related to Opamp circuit for Vout = 2v1 - 3v2

1. What is an Opamp circuit?

An Opamp circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses an operational amplifier (Opamp) to amplify and manipulate electrical signals. It is commonly used in many electronic devices, such as audio amplifiers, power supplies, and analog-to-digital converters.

2. How does an Opamp circuit work?

In an Opamp circuit, the Opamp acts as a high-gain amplifier, taking the difference between its two input terminals and amplifying it to produce an output voltage. The output voltage is determined by the values of the resistors and other components in the circuit.

3. What does Vout = 2v1 - 3v2 mean?

This equation represents the output voltage of an Opamp circuit with two input voltages, v1 and v2. The output voltage, Vout, is calculated by multiplying the first input voltage, v1, by 2 and the second input voltage, v2, by -3, and then adding these two values together. This equation is known as an inverting summing amplifier configuration.

4. What is the purpose of an Opamp circuit with Vout = 2v1 - 3v2?

An Opamp circuit with Vout = 2v1 - 3v2 is commonly used as a signal amplifier or a mixer. It can amplify small signals and combine multiple input signals into a single output signal, making it useful in many electronic applications.

5. How can I design an Opamp circuit with Vout = 2v1 - 3v2?

To design an Opamp circuit with Vout = 2v1 - 3v2, you will need to choose appropriate values for the resistors and other components based on the desired input and output voltages. You can use circuit design software or consult a reference book for guidance. It is also important to consider the limitations and specifications of the Opamp being used in the circuit.