Open Source Circuit Optimization Software Question

In summary: You will get the highest antenna gain from a long beam Yagi or a parabolic dish. Is there a reason you aren't just using one of those?This device will be going on to a spacecraft , so there isn't much room to work with when determining antenna types. All I'm looking for is software that can optimize a circuit connected to a complex load defined by a function. We already have one software package, but due diligence requires that we compare our results to those from another program. Does anyone have any recommendations for that specific task?
anothnagle
Hey all,

I'm working on the JUICE mission (Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer) and I've been tasked with finding software (preferably open source, but paid is fine) that can optimize circuit network designs that I upload. Originally I was trying to find programs that would run optimization using the real frequency technique, but at this point any technique will do to start with. Can anybody recommend software that I could use? I've been looking for quite some time, and nothing I've turned up has really been satisfying. One of the goals for optimizing these networks is for use in antennas, so frequency ranges are important.

Thanks for any help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
anothnagle said:
Hey all,

I'm working on the JUICE mission (Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer) and I've been tasked with finding software (preferably open source, but paid is fine) that can optimize circuit network designs that I upload. Originally I was trying to find programs that would run optimization using the real frequency technique, but at this point any technique will do to start with. Can anybody recommend software that I could use? I've been looking for quite some time, and nothing I've turned up has really been satisfying. One of the goals for optimizing these networks is for use in antennas, so frequency ranges are important.

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the PF.

Optimize how? Optimization implies making something better while changing some other parameters...

Our goal is impedence matching. Ideally we'll create an antenna network (circuit) that we will attach to some impedence function based on frequency. We're trying to get the highest gain from that.
Sorry I wasn't more clear to begin with. Does that help?

DO you already have a SDR (software defined radio) system available?
By that I mean is the frequency switching system already in place, or do you want a system that will handle the optimization as well as control?

anothnagle said:
Our goal is impedence matching. Ideally we'll create an antenna network (circuit) that we will attach to some impedence function based on frequency. We're trying to get the highest gain from that.
Sorry I wasn't more clear to begin with. Does that help?

You will get the highest antenna gain from a long beam Yagi or a parabolic dish. Is there a reason you aren't just using one of those?

This device will be going on to a spacecraft , so there isn't much room to work with when determining antenna types. All I'm looking for is software that can optimize a circuit connected to a complex load defined by a function. We already have one software package, but due diligence requires that we compare our results to those from another program. Does anyone have any recommendations for that specific task?

What is open source circuit optimization software?

Open source circuit optimization software refers to computer programs that are available for use, modification, and distribution by anyone, free of charge. These programs are designed to assist in the design and optimization of electronic circuits and can be customized to suit specific needs.

What are the advantages of using open source circuit optimization software?

One of the main advantages of using open source circuit optimization software is that it is free to use, unlike proprietary software which often comes with a high price tag. Additionally, open source software allows for collaboration and contribution from a larger community of users, resulting in a more diverse and robust tool.

What are the main features of open source circuit optimization software?

The main features of open source circuit optimization software include the ability to simulate and analyze circuit performance, optimize circuit parameters, generate schematic diagrams, and perform various types of circuit analysis. Some software may also offer additional features such as 3D visualization and compatibility with different types of circuit design software.

Are there any limitations to using open source circuit optimization software?

While open source circuit optimization software can be a powerful tool, it may not always have the same level of technical support or user-friendly interface as proprietary software. Additionally, some programs may have limited capabilities or may not be as frequently updated as commercial software.

How can I contribute to open source circuit optimization software?

If you have programming skills or expertise in circuit design, you can contribute to open source circuit optimization software by submitting code, bug reports, or feature requests to the developers. You can also participate in online forums and discussions to share your knowledge and help improve the software for the benefit of the community.