Open System, Heat Transfer & Thermo I

In summary: However, in order to make the assumption of an open system, you would need to integrate the change in energy over time.
beetlejuice
1. Homework Statement
We want to heat up 200 liters of water in a bathtub from 15 ◦C to 30 ◦C. The temperature is increased by adding marble stones to the water. The initial temperature of the marble stones is 773, 15 K.
Assume that the marble is rigid, with the heat capacity cm = 0.88 J ·K−1 · g −1 and the water is incompressible, with cp = 4.2 J · K−1 · g −1 and the density ρ = 1000 kg · m−1 .
Neglect all heat losses to the environment or any change in kinetic or potential energy. After the process, the system is in balance.
Calculate the minimal mass of marble needed for the process. Approach the question making the following assumptions:
consider an instationary open system. Balance the system of marble stones and water as a whole. Hint: Begin with the first law in its general form, integrate over the time and consider the definition of enthalpy h and its connection to the inner energy u.
2. Relevant equations
H= E+PV, deltaH=q, E=3/2*RT, E=q+w, w=-pdeltaV3. The attempt at a solution
Open systems are new to me. Qualitatively, I assume the heat flux and volume changes work the same way that they would for a closed system? Heat flux moves from the warm marbles to the colder water. Volume decreases because temperature increases, and they are inversely related. I assume since the system is open we are working with something where w=0. Therefore heat given off/absorbed comprises the energy of the system. So we then focus on H= E+PV. Am I on the right track here?

Physics news on Phys.org
beetlejuice said:
1. Homework Statement
We want to heat up 200 liters of water in a bathtub from 15 ◦C to 30 ◦C. The temperature is increased by adding marble stones to the water. The initial temperature of the marble stones is 773, 15 K.
Assume that the marble is rigid, with the heat capacity cm = 0.88 J ·K−1 · g −1 and the water is incompressible, with cp = 4.2 J · K−1 · g −1 and the density ρ = 1000 kg · m−1 .
Neglect all heat losses to the environment or any change in kinetic or potential energy. After the process, the system is in balance.
Calculate the minimal mass of marble needed for the process. Approach the question making the following assumptions:
consider an instationary open system. Balance the system of marble stones and water as a whole. Hint: Begin with the first law in its general form, integrate over the time and consider the definition of enthalpy h and its connection to the inner energy u.
2. Relevant equations
H= E+PV, deltaH=q, E=3/2*RT, E=q+w, w=-pdeltaV3. The attempt at a solution
Open systems are new to me. Qualitatively, I assume the heat flux and volume changes work the same way that they would for a closed system? Heat flux moves from the warm marbles to the colder water. Volume decreases because temperature increases, and they are inversely related. I assume since the system is open we are working with something where w=0. Therefore heat given off/absorbed comprises the energy of the system. So we then focus on H= E+PV. Am I on the right track here?
If the liquid water is going to be assumed to be incompressible, then dV ≈ 0 over this small temperature change. Since it's an open system, P = constant = atmospheric.

Since all heat losses to the environment are to be neglected, then the bath tub is functioning essentially like a large calorimeter.

Okay, I see how those things add up. Thank you!

What would I do to calculate the number of marbles needed to calculate that change? For the closed system, I used the first law. Does the same method still apply?

beetlejuice said:
Okay, I see how those things add up. Thank you!

What would I do to calculate the number of marbles needed to calculate that change? For the closed system, I used the first law. Does the same method still apply?
Well, this problem has been so restricted that I think applying the First Law would be correct.

1. What is an open system in thermodynamics?

An open system is a thermodynamic system that can exchange both matter and energy with its surroundings. This means that substances can enter and leave the system, and energy can be transferred in and out. Examples of open systems include a pot of boiling water or a human body.

2. How does heat transfer occur in an open system?

Heat transfer occurs in an open system through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two substances, such as a pot on a stove. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, such as the heat from the sun.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature in an open system?

Heat and temperature are related but distinct concepts in an open system. Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from a hotter object to a cooler object. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In an open system, heat can cause a change in temperature, but temperature alone does not determine the amount of heat in a system.

4. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to an open system?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In an open system, this means that the total energy entering the system must equal the total energy leaving the system, taking into account any changes in energy within the system.

5. Can an open system reach thermodynamic equilibrium?

In theory, an open system can reach thermodynamic equilibrium, which is a state where there are no more energy transfers or changes within the system. However, in practice, it is rare for an open system to reach complete equilibrium due to the continuous exchange of matter and energy with its surroundings. Most open systems will reach a state of steady-state, where there is a balance between energy entering and leaving the system.