"Open to the outside" of the cell?

In summary: Ok, when a one-way road is "open to the outside" of a city, does that mean people are only allowed to enter the city or only allowed to exit? That is my question.Forget about cells for a second.
Matt204823545
Summary:: What does this mean?
Discussion changed to meaning of words - moved from Biology
When a channel in a plasma membrane (or really anything else in everyday life) is "open to the outside" of the membrane (or wall), what does that mean? Does that mean if you're standing outside of it then you'll see it open for you to enter? Or it is open for things inside to leave? Is this a subjective term that differs between people? Or is it an established fact denoting one of those options? Similarly, what is "open to the inside" supposed to mean? Is this a problem with my English skills or is it a Biology problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Matt204823545 said:
Or it is open for things inside to leave?
It makes such a sense to me. We are looking at inside members will do, not or less outside. "Open to the inside is vice versa.

• Sad
Likes Matt204823545
anuttarasammyak said:
It makes such a sense to me. We are looking at inside members will, do not or less outside. "Open to the inside is vice versa.

Wat

For most ion channels, "open" means that the ions allowed to pass through the channel can enter or leave the channel, ie. it is not the channel "shape" that governs the direction of ion flow through it. However, in many situations, ion flow is directional for the "open" configuration of the channel, with the flow direction being determined by the difference in ion concentration and the difference in electrical potential between the inside and outside of the cell.

One should note that although the "open" configuration of the channel allows bidirectional flow, another mechanism of acheiving directional flow is by making the "open" or closed" configuration depend on the membrane potential difference.

Another example of channels that allow bidirectional flow are aquaporins, that allow water to flow in and out of the cell. Again, there may be net flow of water in one direction, but that is governed by factors other than the "shape" of the channel.

Last edited:
atyy said:
For most ion channels, "open" means that the ions allowed to pass through the channel can enter or leave the channel, ie. it is not the channel "shape" that governs the direction of ion flow through it. However, in many situations, ion flow is directional for the "open" configuration of the channel, with the flow direction being determined by the difference in ion concentration and the difference in electrical potential between the inside and outside of the cell.

One should note that although the "open" configuration of the channel allows bidirectional flow, another mechanism of acheiving directional flow is by making the "open" or closed" configuration depend on the membrane potential difference.

Another example of channels that allow bidirectional flow are aquaporins, that allow water to flow in and out of the cell. Again, there may be net flow of water in one direction, but that is governed by factors other than the "shape" of the channel.

Thanks but that has nothing to do with what I asked. I asked if "open to the outside" means outside things can go in or inside things can go out. This is in general, it doesn't have to be strictly about cells, it can be anything in everyday life. I'm not talking about "shape" I'm talking about the term "open to outside/inside". Your response should be either "open to the outside means outside things can go inside" or "open to the outside means inside things can go outside", that's it. Not 3 paragraphs on ion channels, potential differences and aquaporins. I simply require 1 sentence.

Matt204823545 said:
Thanks but that has nothing to do with what I asked. I asked if "open to the outside" means outside things can go in or inside things can go out. This is in general, it doesn't have to be strictly about cells, it can be anything in everyday life. I'm not talking about "shape" I'm talking about the term "open to outside/inside". Your response should be either "open to the outside means outside things can go inside" or "open to the outside means inside things can go outside", that's it. Not 3 paragraphs on ion channels, potential differences and aquaporins. I simply require 1 sentence.

When we say a channel is "open", we refer to its configuration or "shape".

atyy said:
When we say a channel is "open", we refer to its configuration or "shape".

Ok, when a one-way road is "open to the outside" of a city, does that mean people are only allowed to enter the city or only allowed to exit? That is my question.
I can give you many more examples. When a plumber's one-way pipe is "open to the outside" of a bathtub, does that mean water can only enter the bathtub or only exit the bathtub?
Forget about cells for a second.

Matt204823545 said:
Ok, when a one-way road is "open to the outside" of a city, does that mean people are only allowed to enter the city or only allowed to exit? That is my question.
I can give you many more examples. When a plumber's one-way pipe is "open to the outside" of a bathtub, does that mean water can only enter the bathtub or only exit the bathtub?
Forget about cells for a second.

It's a problem with your understanding of English. There is no general answer.

Likes Matt204823545 and jim mcnamara

1. What is meant by "open to the outside" of the cell?

The term "open to the outside" of the cell refers to the selective permeability of the cell membrane, allowing certain molecules and substances to pass through while blocking others. It also includes the ability of the cell to communicate with its external environment and exchange materials and signals.

2. How does the cell membrane control what enters and exits the cell?

The cell membrane is made up of a phospholipid bilayer with embedded proteins and cholesterol. The hydrophobic tails of the phospholipids face inward while the hydrophilic heads face outward, creating a barrier that only allows small, non-polar molecules to pass through. The embedded proteins act as channels and pumps, controlling the movement of specific molecules and substances into and out of the cell.

3. What types of molecules can pass through the cell membrane?

Small, non-polar molecules such as oxygen, carbon dioxide, and lipid-soluble molecules can pass through the cell membrane through simple diffusion. Larger or polar molecules, such as glucose and ions, require the help of embedded proteins to cross the membrane through facilitated diffusion or active transport, respectively.

4. How does the cell communicate with its external environment?

The cell communicates with its external environment through different methods, such as receptor proteins and cell signaling. Receptor proteins on the cell membrane can bind to specific molecules, triggering a response within the cell. Cell signaling involves the release of signaling molecules, such as hormones, which can travel to other cells and trigger a response.

5. What is the importance of the cell membrane being "open to the outside"?

The selective permeability of the cell membrane allows the cell to maintain homeostasis by controlling the substances that enter and exit the cell. It also allows for communication and interactions with the external environment, which is crucial for various cellular processes such as growth, development, and response to stimuli.