OPERA experiment - Special Relativity

In summary: Do you mean for part (b)?I have done $$v=c\sqrt{1-\frac{m^2c^4}{E^2}}$$$$v^2=c^2-\frac{m^2c^6}{E^2}$$$$m^2=\frac{E^2(c^2-v^2)}{c^6}$$$$m=\frac{1}{c^2}\sqrt{E^2-\frac{E^2v^2}{c^2}}$$Plugged in numbers and got : $$m=\frac{28}{(3*10^8)^2
Isaac Pepper

Homework Statement

In 2011, researchers at the OPERA experiment thought they had seen neutrinos with mass m and energy E = 28 GeV moving faster than light. The baseline between the source and the detector was 731 km, and the neutrinos seemed to arrive 60.7 ns early, compared to the maximum physical velocity c. (a) Using ##m^2c^4 = E^2 - p^2c^2 ##with p the momentum of the neutrinos, show that ##v = \frac{\delta E}{\delta p}= c\sqrt{1-\frac{m^2c^4}{E^2}}##. (b) Calculate the mass of such faster-than-light neutrinos in ##GeV/c^2##

Homework Equations

##p=\gamma mv##
##m^2c^4=E^2-p^2c^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) ##m^2c^4=E^2-p^2c^2##
I've tried many calculations and never managed to find the correct result. I don't really understand the ##\frac{\delta E}{\delta p}##.
Am I right in trying to convert ##p## to ##mv## or is it ##p=\gamma mc##?
By using ##p=mv##, I manage to get :
$$m^2c^4=E^2-m^2v^2c^2$$
$$\frac{E^2-m^2c^4}{m^2c^2}=v^2$$
$$\frac{E^2}{m^2c^2}-c^2=v^2$$
$$v^2=c^2(\frac{E^2}{m^2c^2}-1)$$
$$v=c\sqrt{\frac{E^2}{m^2c^4}-1}$$
But this isn't using ##\frac{\delta E}{\delta p}## and the result isn't quite right. What am I missing?

(b) I'm kind of fuzzy on this - to me, photons traveling at the speed of light are massless, and if I apply the given formula to find the mass of a neutrino traveling faster than light...Well I hit a dead-end because it would be less than massless? Atleast that's the way I see it.
I've managed to work out the speed of the neutrino if it arrives 60.7ns earlier than light, which would be ##v=300007473 m.s^{-1}## assuming that ##c=3.0*10^8 m.s^{-1}##
All calculations including a gamma factor would not work to me, as ##1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}## would be less than 0
so the square root in the gamma factor would be less than 0... How would I then calculate the mass of the faster-than-light neutrino?

Thanks to everyone for the amazing help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm still stuck on the question. Sorry for the double post.

Hi there Issac
Isaac Pepper said:
How would I then calculate the mass of the faster-than-light neutrino?

you did understand that the experiment gave the incorrect answer because of equipment failure ?

and NOTHING with mass can travel at c, let alone fasterDave

davenn said:
you did understand that the experiment gave the incorrect answer because of equipment failure ?

and NOTHING with mass can travel at c, let alone faster
Dave

I do understand that, which is partly why I don't understand what the question is asking me...
Any ideas on how to solve this? I don't even understand how to do part (a) at this point

Isaac Pepper said:

Homework Statement

In 2011, researchers at the OPERA experiment thought they had seen neutrinos with mass m and energy E = 28 GeV moving faster than light. The baseline between the source and the detector was 731 km, and the neutrinos seemed to arrive 60.7 ns early, compared to the maximum physical velocity c. (a) Using ##m^2c^4 = E^2 - p^2c^2 ##with p the momentum of the neutrinos, show that ##v = \frac{\delta E}{\delta p}= c\sqrt{1-\frac{m^2c^4}{E^2}}##. (b) Calculate the mass of such faster-than-light neutrinos in ##GeV/c^2##

For part a), why not start by differentiating (wrt ##p##):

##E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4##

PS For b) Part a) gives you an equation for mass without the ##\gamma## factor. So, you could calculate an imaginary mass.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
For part a), why not start by differentiating (wrt ##p##):

##E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4##

Ok, even then I'm not sure how to differentiate this expression with respect to p
I can re-arrange to get ##E=\sqrt{m^2c^2+p^2c^2}## but I don't know how to differentiate that wrt p

Isaac Pepper said:
Ok, even then I'm not sure how to differentiate this expression with respect to p
I can re-arrange to get ##E=\sqrt{m^2c^2+p^2c^2}## but I don't know how to differentiate that wrt p

Perhaps time to revise differentiation? It's easier, in any case, to leave it as ##E^2## and differentiate implicitly (if that's something you know how to do).

Likes Isaac Pepper
PeroK said:
Perhaps time to revise differentiation? It's easier, in any case, to leave it as ##E^2## and differentiate implicitly (if that's something you know how to do).
Have you calculated it? I'm curious whether my 9.756 i MeV are correct?

fresh_42 said:
Have you calculated it? I'm curious whether my 9.756 i MeV are correct?
Do you mean for part (b) ?

I have done $$v=c\sqrt{1-\frac{m^2c^4}{E^2}}$$
$$v^2=c^2-\frac{m^2c^6}{E^2}$$
$$m^2=\frac{E^2(c^2-v^2)}{c^6}$$
$$m=\frac{1}{c^2}\sqrt{E^2-\frac{E^2v^2}{c^2}}$$
Plugged in numbers and got : $$m=\frac{28}{(3*10^8)^2}i\sqrt{4.98*10^{-5}}=\frac{28}{(3*10^8)^2}i*7.06*10^{-3} GeV/c^2$$
It's probably wrong at this point, I'm totally lost and have given up on (a) :/

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether my calculation is correct. I kept ##c## as long as possible, set ##c + ε = \frac{d}{1-t}## with ##d = 1## lightsecond and ##t=60.7 ns##. Then I broke all down to ##m = 28 GeV \cdot c^{-1} \cdot \sqrt{-2cε - ε^2} ## from the solution in (a) and substituted ##ε## by ##t## until I got a factor ##\sqrt{ 1- \frac{1}{(1-t)^2}}##. I didn't start with actual numbers not until this term. But there have been so many rearrangements that I'm not sure anymore.

I solved part (a) with PeroK 's hint. ## \frac{∂}{∂p} E^2 = 2 E\cdot \frac{∂}{∂p}E = \frac{∂}{∂p}(m^2 c^4) + \frac{∂}{∂p} (p^2c^2) = 0 + 2pc^2 ## and ##pc^2 E^{-1} = c \sqrt{1- \frac{m^2 c^4}{E^2} }## is just another expression for ##E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2##.

EDIT: My ##GeV## are actually ##GeV / c^2##. How did you get ##v##?

Last edited:
Likes Isaac Pepper
fresh_42 said:
How did you get ##v##?

If the neutrino arrived ##60.7*10^{-9}s## before light would, then ##t_2-t_1=\frac{d}{v}-\frac{d}{c}=-60.7*10^{-9}s##
In which case ##t_2-t_1+\frac{d}{c}=\frac{d}{v}##
$$v=\frac{d}{t_2-t_1+\frac{d}{c}}=\frac{731*10^3}{-60.7*10^{-9}+\frac{731*10^3}{3*10^8}} = 300 007 473.5 m.s^{-1}$$
Atleast that's what I thought!

EDIT : I follow your implicit differentiation, but how do you end up with ##pc^2E^{-1} = c\sqrt{1-\frac{m^2c^4}{E^2}}## ?

Yep, that's my calculation of ##v = \frac{d}{1-t}##, too (since ##d/c## is numerically just ##1##).

##\frac{p^2c^2}{E^2} = \frac{E^2 - m^2 c^4}{E^2} = 1 - \frac{m^2c^4}{E^2} ⇒ \frac{pc}{E} = \sqrt{1 - \frac{m^2 c^4}{E^2}} ⇒ \frac{pc^2}{E} = c \cdot \sqrt{1 - \frac{m^2 c^4}{E^2}}##

Likes Isaac Pepper
Fair enough, I know the calculations I did after it were wrong though, so ignore them, I'm sure you have the right answer ! I will look through what I have done in the morning to try and work it out. Thank you for all your help, both of you !

Isaac Pepper said:
$$m=\frac{1}{c^2}\sqrt{E^2-\frac{E^2v^2}{c^2}}$$
Until here we are identically. Pulling ##E^2## out of the root gives us ## m = 28GeV \cdot \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}##

Plugged in numbers and got : $$m=\frac{28}{(3*10^8)^2}i\sqrt{4.98*10^{-5}}=i*7.06*10^{-3} GeV/c^2$$
It's probably wrong at this point, I'm totally lost and have given up on (a) :
Sorry for you, you are not wrong. I am. ##\frac{c}{v} = 1-\frac{c}{d}Δt ## where ##d=731,000 m ## and ##Δt = 60.7 ns##.
(I calculated ##\frac{c}{v} = 1-Δt## which is the wrong velocity.)

Your correct result is ##\frac{v}{c} = 1+ 2.4912 * 10^{-5}##
Therefore ##m = 28 GeV \cdot \sqrt{1 - (1 + 2.4912 * 10^{-5} )^2} = 28 GeV \cdot 7.06 \cdot 10^{-3}i = 197.68 i MeV##

EDIT: If ##28 GeV## is already divided by ##c^2## as usual. Forgot some i.

Last edited:
Likes Isaac Pepper
Yeah, that seems to my solution too, though I divided it by ##c^2## so my answer was $$\frac{28GeV}{(3*10^8)^2}*i*7.06*10^{-3}=i*2.20*10^{-18} GeV/c^2$$

Likes fresh_42
Isaac Pepper said:
Yeah, that seems to my solution too, though I divided it by ##c^2## so my answer was $$\frac{28GeV}{(3*10^8)^2}*i*7.06*10^{-3}=i*2.20*10^{-18} GeV/c^2$$
A like this kind of poorness: two footsore guys made it together over the goal line ...:wink:

Likes Isaac Pepper

What is the OPERA experiment?

The OPERA (Oscillation Project with Emulsion-tRacking Apparatus) experiment was a scientific experiment conducted at the Gran Sasso National Laboratory in Italy from 2006 to 2012. It was designed to study neutrino oscillations, a phenomenon predicted by the theory of special relativity.

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the behavior of objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

What were the results of the OPERA experiment?

The OPERA experiment initially reported that they had observed neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light, which would have contradicted the theory of special relativity. However, it was later discovered that there were significant errors in their measurements and the results were retracted. The experiment ultimately confirmed the predictions of special relativity.

Why is the OPERA experiment important?

The OPERA experiment was important because it provided a rigorous test of the theory of special relativity. It also sparked further research and experiments in the field of neutrino oscillations, which have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.

How does the OPERA experiment impact our understanding of the universe?

The OPERA experiment, along with other experiments and observations, has reaffirmed the validity of special relativity and our understanding of the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. It also provides valuable insights into the properties of neutrinos, which are one of the most abundant particles in the universe and have a major role in shaping the structure and evolution of the universe.