Operator algebra of chiral quasi-primary fields

In summary, the conversation is about studying conformal field theory and deriving a general expression for the commutation relations of the modes of two chiral quasi-primary fields. The speaker used an ansatz and contour integrals to calculate the commutation relation, and ultimately obtained a result that is different from the one found in many textbooks. They are unsure how to obtain the formula in textbooks and how the two results are related. A summary of their calculation procedure was provided, but it is not clear how to reconcile the two different results. Further simplification and manipulation may be needed to better understand the relationship between the two results.
J.Hong
Studying conformal field theory, I tried to derive general expression for the commutation relations of the modes of two chiral quasi-primary fields.
At first, I expressed the modes [itex] \phi_{(i)m} [/itex] and [itex] \phi_{(j)n} [/itex] as contour integrals over each fields, and took commutation relation. I used ansatz, [tex] \phi _i(z)\phi_j(w)=\sum_{k,n\geqslant 0}C^k_{ij}\frac{a^n_{ijk}}{n!}\frac{1}{(z-w)^{h_i+h_j-h_k-n}}\partial ^n\phi_k(w) [/tex], to calculate the commutation relation, [tex] \left [ \phi_{(i)m},\phi_{(j)n} \right ]. [/tex] [itex] h_i, h_j, [/itex] and [itex] h_k [/itex] are conformal dimension of the fields, [itex] \phi_i(z), \phi_j(z), [/itex] and [itex] \phi_k(z) [/itex], respectively.
Finally, I obtained the result, [tex] \left [ \phi_{(i)m},\phi_{(j)n} \right ]=\sum_{k\geq 0}C^k_{ij}P(m,n;h_i,h_j,h_k)\phi_{(k)m+n}+d_{ij}\delta _{m,-n}\binom{m+h_i-1}{2h_i-1} ,[/tex] where [tex] P(m,n;h_i,h_j,h_k)=\sum_{r=0}^{h_i+h_j-h_k-1}\binom{m+h_i-1}{h_i+h_j-h_k-1-r}\frac{(-1)^r(h_i-h_j+h_k)_{(r)}(m+n+h_k)_{(r)}}{r!(2h_k)_{(r)}} [/tex]. [tex] (x_{(r)}\equiv \Gamma (x+r)/\Gamma (x)). [/tex] I took advantage of two and three point functions to get the result.
I think my calculation is right. In many textbooks on CFT, however, [tex] \left [ \phi_{(i)m},\phi_{(j)n} \right ]=\sum_{k\geq 0}C^k_{ij}P(m,n;h_i,h_j,h_k)\phi_{(k)m+n}+d_{ij}\delta _{m,-n}\binom{m+h_i-1}{2h_i-1} [/tex], where [tex] \sum_{r,s\in \mathbb{Z},r+s=h_i+h_j-h_k-1}\binom{m+h_i-1}{r}\binom{n+h_j-1}{s}\frac{(-1)^r(2h_k-1)!}{(h_i+h_j+h_k-2)!}\frac{(2h_i-2-r)!}{(2h_i-2-r-s)!}\frac{(2h_j-2-s)!}{(2h_j-2-r-s)!} .[/tex] This result looks different from my result, but two result should be the same. I don't know how to obtain the formula in textbooks and how the two results are the same. Please, teach me with explicit calculation procedures.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
J.Hong said:
[tex] \sum_{r,s\in \mathbb{Z},r+s=h_i+h_j-h_k-1}\binom{m+h_i-1}{r}\binom{n+h_j-1}{s}\frac{(-1)^r(2h_k-1)!}{(h_i+h_j+h_k-2)!}\frac{(2h_i-2-r)!}{(2h_i-2-r-s)!}\frac{(2h_j-2-s)!}{(2h_j-2-r-s)!} .[/tex]

I don't have the patience to go through this step by step, but you should first note that this isn't really a double sum because of the constraint that ##r+s=h_i+h_j-h_k-1##. So the first step would be to eliminate ##s## using this constraint. It looks like both expressions are then sums over the same index ##r## and same range. So you can compare the expressions term-wise, for fixed ##r##.

Convert all short-cut notation like the binomial coefficients, the ##x_{(r)}## notation, and the factorials into ##\Gamma## functions. Some common coefficients are already obvious in what you've wrote down so far, if you go a bit further, I expect things to be a bit more clearer. Simplify as much as you can and then post back if you still have questions.

fzero said:
I don't have the patience to go through this step by step, but you should first note that this isn't really a double sum because of the constraint that ##r+s=h_i+h_j-h_k-1##. So the first step would be to eliminate ##s## using this constraint. It looks like both expressions are then sums over the same index ##r## and same range. So you can compare the expressions term-wise, for fixed ##r##.

Convert all short-cut notation like the binomial coefficients, the ##x_{(r)}## notation, and the factorials into ##\Gamma## functions. Some common coefficients are already obvious in what you've wrote down so far, if you go a bit further, I expect things to be a bit more clearer. Simplify as much as you can and then post back if you still have questions.

Thanks, fzero :)

Even though eliminate one variable by using the constraint you said, it still remains different term. See below.

1. My result
[tex]\left [ \phi_{(i)m},\phi_{(j)n} \right ]=\sum_{k\geq 0}C^k_{ij}\sum_{r=0}^{h_i+h_j-h_k-1}\frac{(-1)^{h_i+h_j-h_k-1-r}(m+n+h_k+r-1)!(m+h_i-1)!(2h_k-1)!(2h_i-2-r)!\phi_{(k)m+n}}{(m+n+h_k-1)!(h_i+h_j-h_k-1-r)!(m+h_i-1-r)!r!(h_i-h_j+h_k-1)!}.[/tex]

2. The result in many textbooks
[tex]\left [ \phi_{(i)m},\phi_{(j)n} \right ]=\sum_{k\geq 0}C^k_{ij}\sum_{r=0}^{h_i+h_j-h_k-1}\frac{(-1)^{r}(n+h_j-1)!(m+h_i-1)!(2h_k-1)!(2h_i-2-r)!(h_j-h_i+h_k-1-r)!\phi_{(k)m+n}}{(n-h_i+h_k+r)!(h_i+h_j-h_k-1-r)!(m+h_i-1-r)!r!(h_i+h_j+h_k-2)!(h_j-h_i+h_k-1)!(h_i-h_j+h_k-1)!}.[/tex]

I abbreviated the term includes [itex]\delta _{m,-n}[/itex] which is matche each other.

I had a chance to look at this a bit more. I was able to reproduce your result

J.Hong said:
[tex] P(m,n;h_i,h_j,h_k)=\sum_{r=0}^{h_i+h_j-h_k-1}\binom{m+h_i-1}{h_i+h_j-h_k-1-r}\frac{(-1)^r(h_i-h_j+h_k)_{(r)}(m+n+h_k)_{(r)}}{r!(2h_k)_{(r)}} [/tex]

but I haven't been able to show that this is equal to the textbook result. I had a few ideas about how to manipulate this, but I'm still left with some strange factors. Maybe you'll be able to straighten things out further.

We need the identities

$$
\binom{n}{k} = \binom{n}{n-k} = \frac{\binom{n}{h} \binom{n-h}{k}}{\binom{n-k}{h}} = \sum_{j=0}^k \binom{m}{j} \binom{n-m}{k-j},$$
where in the 4th term, we can choose any ##m## that we want. We can use the 4th identity to write

$$
\begin{split} (m+n+h_k)_{(r)} & = r! \binom{m+n+h_k+r-1}{r} \\
& = \sum_{t=0}^r r! \binom{m+h_k-h_j+r}{t} \binom{m+h_j-1}{r-t} .\end{split}
$$

Under the sum over ##r##, we can shift the index to ##s=r-t##, so that

$$ (m+n+h_k)_{(r)} \longrightarrow \sum_{s} r!\binom{m+h_k-h_j+r}{r-s} \binom{m+h_j-1}{s}$$

Set ##r+s= h_i+h_j-h_k-1##, we can use the 3rd identity to write

$$\binom{m+h_i-1}{h_i+h_j-h_k-1-r} = \binom{m+h_i-1}{s} = \frac{\binom{m+h_i-1}{s} \binom{m+h_i-r-1}{s}}{\binom{m+h_i-s-1}{r}} . $$

Furthermore,

$$(h_i-h_j+h_k)_{(r)} = \frac{(2h_i-r-2)!}{(2h_i-r-s-2)!} \frac{r!\binom{2h_i-s-2}{r}}{\binom{2h_i-r-2}{s}}.$$

We can therefore write

$$P(m,n;h_i,h_j,h_k) = \sum_{r,s} (-1)^r \binom{m+h_i-1}{s} \binom{n+h_j-1}{s} \frac{(2h_i-r-2)! }{(2h_i-r-s-2)! } \frac{(2h_j-s-2)! }{(2h_j-r-s-2)! } p_{r,s} $$

where

$$p_{r,s} = \frac{\binom{m+h_k-h_j+r}{r-s} \binom{m+h_i-r-1}{s}}{\binom{m+h_i-s-1}{r}}
\frac{\binom{2h_i-s-2}{r}}{\binom{2h_i-r-2}{s}\binom{ 2h_j-s-2}{r}} .
$$

We can use the 3rd identity a couple of times to write this as

$$p_{r,s} = \frac{\binom{m+h_k-h_j+r}{r-s} }{\binom{ 2h_j-s-2}{r}} \frac{\binom{m+h_i-1}{r}}{\binom{m+h_i-1}{s}}
\frac{\binom{2h_i-2}{s}}{\binom{2h_i-2}{r}} .
$$

There are some obvious cancellations, but I haven't been able to get all of the factors to cancel in order to recover the textbook answer. Maybe you'll have better luck and/or turn up some mistake that I made.

fzero said:
We need the identities

$$
\binom{n}{k} = \binom{n}{n-k} = \frac{\binom{n}{h} \binom{n-h}{k}}{\binom{n-k}{h}} = \sum_{j=0}^k \binom{m}{j} \binom{n-m}{k-j},$$
where in the 4th term, we can choose any ##m## that we want.

Thank you, fzero

I proved two formulas are the same each other using general version of the identities you introduced. Thank you again, fzero.

1. What is the operator algebra of chiral quasi-primary fields?

The operator algebra of chiral quasi-primary fields is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of certain types of physical fields in quantum field theory. These fields are called chiral quasi-primary because they have a specific transformation property under conformal transformations.

2. How is the operator algebra of chiral quasi-primary fields related to conformal field theory?

The operator algebra of chiral quasi-primary fields is a key component of conformal field theory, which is a type of quantum field theory that studies the behavior of physical systems under conformal transformations. The operator algebra provides a way to mathematically describe the behavior of these fields under such transformations.

3. What are the properties of chiral quasi-primary fields?

Chiral quasi-primary fields have several important properties, including conformal invariance, conformal dimension, and fusion rules. They also have a specific transformation property under conformal transformations, which allows them to be classified into different representations based on their conformal dimension.

4. How are chiral quasi-primary fields used in theoretical physics?

Chiral quasi-primary fields are used in theoretical physics to study the behavior of physical systems under conformal transformations. They are also used to describe the symmetry properties of quantum field theories and to calculate correlation functions, which are important quantities in theoretical physics.

5. What are some examples of chiral quasi-primary fields?

Some examples of chiral quasi-primary fields include the stress-energy tensor, which represents the energy and momentum of a physical system, and the primary fields of the Ising model, a mathematical model used to study phase transitions in statistical mechanics. Other examples include the twist fields in two-dimensional conformal field theory and the vertex operators in string theory.