Operator as the outcome of a measurement?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of constructing a setup with one incoming photon and multiple possible outcomes for a measurement, and the physical interpretation of operator-valued measurements. It is suggested that the measured observable can be approximated or assigned probabilities for different values, and the link provided demonstrates this concept through the use of matrices. Ultimately, POVMs are associated with outcomes rather than a singular observable, and each outcome can be associated with a different observable.
Heidi
TL;DR Summary
POVM?
for any set of POVM outcomes it is possible to construct a setup with say one incoming photon and possible outcomes that will click differently. so this is not only mathématics.
but what is physically an operator valued measurement?

Physics news on Phys.org
you can see how to implement such a device for any povm
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2193434_General_implementation_of_all_possible_positive-operator-value_measurements_of_single_photon_polarization_states

Maybe the random states obtained after a measuremt are naturally described in the C* algebra language.

Are you asking if there is some further generalisation of measurement? PVM -> POVM -> ?

No,
when i have a measurement device i am looking for a (maybe random) value associated to an obsevable. In a Stern Gerlach i get a click in a path associated to a spin up or down.
Look at the implementation in the link. we have a brick with two output that you can associate like a lego. and the "click may appear
in the different spots. i know that each of them corresponds to a POVM outcome but in what is it a physical result?

Even if i do not see what is measured, it gives me a recipe to prepare any state.

Ok I think I understand what you are asking. Given a POVM ##\sum_iF_i = \sum_iM^\dagger_iM_i = I##, we can interpret the associated outcomes ##\{O_i\}## a few different ways:

i) If there is some observable ##A = \sum_i a_i E_i## such that $$\frac{M_i\rho M^\dagger_i}{\mathrm{tr}\left(M_i\rho M^\dagger_i\right)} \approx \frac{E_i\rho E_i}{\mathrm{tr}\left(E_i\rho\right)}$$then we can still say our device measures ##A## even if this is approximate. Whether or not this approximation is sufficient will depend on your experimental resolution. It's why we can say e.g. that an SG device still measures spin even though strictly it is a POVM. (Also note the dependency on the preparation here)

ii) More generally, for a given preparation ##\rho## and outcome ##O_k## we can write down at least one observable ##A_k = \sum_i a_{ik} E_{ik}## such that ##\rho## and ##O_k## assign a probability for each possible value of the observable ##a_{ik}##

Last edited:
Likes Heidi
In the link we get F1 =
$$\begin{pmatrix}
cos^2 \alpha & 0 \\
0 & cos^2 \beta
\end{pmatrix}$$

and F2 =
$$\begin{pmatrix}
sin^2 \alpha & 0 \\
0 & sin^2 \beta
\end{pmatrix}$$
What is the measured observable?

Heidi said:
In the link we get F1 =
$$\begin{pmatrix}
cos^2 \alpha & 0 \\
0 & cos^2 \beta
\end{pmatrix}$$

and F2 =
$$\begin{pmatrix}
sin^2 \alpha & 0 \\
0 & sin^2 \beta
\end{pmatrix}$$
What is the measured observable?
PVMs are associated with observables, POVMs are not so there is no singular measured observable. Instead, the outcomes of POVMs are associated with observables (see my last post for details). So e.g. The different ##F##s in that paper (equations 18-21) can be associated with different angles of polarisation, and so each ##F## is associated with a different observable.

Likes Heidi

1. What is an operator in the context of measurement outcomes?

An operator is a mathematical representation of a physical observable, such as position or momentum, that can be used to calculate the outcome of a measurement. It is a key concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How is an operator related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, cannot be simultaneously known to arbitrary precision. Operators play a crucial role in this principle, as they represent the mathematical operations used to measure these properties and their corresponding uncertainties.

3. Can an operator have multiple outcomes for a single measurement?

Yes, an operator can have multiple eigenvalues, or possible outcomes, for a single measurement. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where the exact outcome of a measurement cannot be predicted with certainty.

4. How does the measurement process affect the operator?

The measurement process in quantum mechanics involves the collapse of the wave function, which is described by the operator. This means that the measurement process itself can change the state of the system and affect the operator's behavior.

5. Are operators the only way to describe measurement outcomes in quantum mechanics?

No, operators are not the only way to describe measurement outcomes in quantum mechanics. Other mathematical representations, such as wave functions, can also be used. However, operators are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and are essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.